PDA

View Full Version : popovics surf candy small...

tws
02-15-2006, 04:15 PM
greetings all,

I'm interested in crafting some very small synthetic hair minnows for trout and panfish. I'd like to model these on the bob popovic's surf candy and use the exact or similar materials.

see:

http://flyfisherman.com/ftb/ejsurfcandy/

at any rate at this point i'am just mulling things over. I haven't yet aquired the synthetic hairs, flash or hooks.

my question:

what would be the correct - durable - style hook in size #6 to use? should it be a short shank? a salt water hook? bronze or stainless?

i plan on making these minnows from 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 inches in length.

thanks for any input.

tws

PaulC
02-15-2006, 09:52 PM
If you're looking for durable sharp point hooks for that pattern, I'd go with Gamakatsu SLL11-3H size 6. Tough hooks, super tacky and right portions for surf candies. You know the hooks are super sharp when they have the "Keep out of reach of small children" warning. lol.
-Paul

Jay Murakoshi
02-15-2006, 10:43 PM
My boxes are full of surf candies and other small minnow patterns.
My preferred hook is the Trey Combs blue water hook or aka SL12 but the smallest size is 2. So then I would go to using a SC15. I've been tying a Japanese pond smelt imitation for SL. I'm using polar bear color super hair with a black center line of black krystal flash. This pattern should also work on the American for the stripers

Jay

tws
02-16-2006, 06:43 AM
Thanks Paul and Jay,

I'm checking out these hooks...

i'll try and post my results when i gather all the gear and make a few patterns.

tws :wink: