PDA

View Full Version : rubber legs question

PaulC
02-14-2006, 10:53 PM
I've been messing around with tons of leg patterns lately ranging from centipede legs to silicone legs. Silicone legs seem too soft and centipede legs are sweet but don't fit patterns for non-barred legs. Rubber legs seem to degrade too quick whereas silicone legs survive.
What do you guys like to use?
-Paul

David Lee
02-14-2006, 11:36 PM
Hi Paul , thanks again for the Paul C. Sardinas .

I like Silicone and lycra - they don't rot .

David :D

Darian
02-14-2006, 11:53 PM
Hey Paul,.... I use legs sparingly on all patterns I tie. On small, warmwater and rubberleg flies, I use rubber legs (without barring) and Centipede Legs for virtually all Trout flies.... On flies requiring legs that lay along or slightly angle out from the body, I use silicone. On all Black Bass flies silicone is the answer.... I tend to use legs more for affect than whether they are durable.... 8) 8)

PaulC
02-16-2006, 08:24 PM
Hey David & Darian,
Thanks for the input. I'm kinda doin the same. Only problem I've noticed with the silicone legs is they're a bit too soft for patterns like a Merkin.
There's a couple hybrid rubber vendors I used on some robot designs way back when. Been thinking of getting some samples to find something inbetween. Will let you know how that goes.

David - No problemo on the flies. I'm glad they worked out for you. I'm still hoping to maybe make it Baja but still working out the details. Always great to have someone test drive some new materials on older patterns in the field. That slinky fiber stuff from Doug's bugs has been great on clousers too in the surf. They seem to foul way less than the other synthetics. Hope to give some 3/0 versions a test drive inshore for some calicos/WSB and maybe barracuda this weekend and we'll really see how well the material takes a beating. :twisted:
Also been messing around alot with EP fibers for things like Merkin's and baitfish patterns. Cool material...easy to work with when tied sparse. The Merkins have a new non-rug look that is way cool.
Let me know if you end up out there again. I'll send more samples of the latest brainstorming at the vise. Same goes for you Darian, although I know your flies put mine to shame. That Baja Mullet was a nice pattern.
Ahhhh...to tie saltwater flies after those 22 bugs. Can't imagine cranking out tons of those small bugs.
-Paul

Darian
02-16-2006, 10:56 PM
Thanks for the compliment Paul.... :) I guess I'll get a chance to see if my ideas are OK at La Paz in June.... :D :D

I've been tying a few new Striper patterns based on the BVSardina pattern. Looks like it's got some potential.... 8) After I get the colors/proportions right, I'll send you some for fishin' and to get your input.... 8) 8)

k.hanley
02-17-2006, 07:59 AM
Say Hey Guys...
I enjoy working with both Silicone and Super Floss (Spandex). Each one provides maximum movement and that's my first criteria to meet. Durability with the Super Floss is outstanding (maybe the toughest of all?). Silicone durability is ok but certainly not the best.
Cheers, Ken