PDA

View Full Version : Running or Shooting Lines....

Darian
02-11-2006, 08:37 PM
Hey guys,.... Anyone out there using one of the new coated, monofilament running or shooting lines such as RIO's Slickshooter or Frog Hair :?: :?: Altho I'm interested in casting characteristics, I would like to get some idea how well these lines take knots.... :?: :?:

Any input appreciated.... :) :)

Bill Kiene semi-retired
02-11-2006, 10:43 PM
I have used the Rio "Slick Shooter" in 35# on a Spey rod and it worked very well.

I know that Capt. Kevin Doran, Delta Striper/LMB guide, said he uses the Slick Shooter behind a lead core head in the Delta.

The Frog Hair shooting line is very new so we will have to see how it goes. Anyone wanting to field test it for us can have a spool for 1/2 price this next week. See me for this. I am usually in M-F, noon till 6pm.

jbird
02-11-2006, 11:11 PM
There was just a post made on blantons site from someone who tried the frog haif. He gave a pretty detailed account

http://www.danblanton.com/viewmessage.php?id=60458

Jay

Darian
02-11-2006, 11:39 PM
Thanks for the link/report Jay.... Interesting that the evaluator didn't mention anything about knots in connection with the set-up using the Frog Hair shooting line. I guess that means that nothing of note happened (when connecting the running line to the backing or Shooting head). :? Anyway, that's how I'll take it. 8) The resistance to stretching concerns me, tho. :?

I looked at the RIO Slick Shooter and decided to wait to see the Frog Hair running line to make a comparison. The only problem that may be a show stopper is the price of this new stuff as opposed to Amnesia. 8) 8)

HC
02-12-2006, 01:11 PM
Darian, Slick shooter is ok if you can keep it wet, othewise it will dry out and tangle. I use a line tamer with water. It must be stetched before casting, it is strecthy. As for how it knots, I don't know I like braided mono loops for all connections. I have used it fot a few seasons now, but not exclusively. Use mostly for shallow presentations. I have not used the frog hair yet. There are so many choices when you consider the new integrated lines. Good luck. Harley

Darian
02-12-2006, 06:07 PM
Thanks for the comments Harley..... :) When using the braided loop connectors, have you experienced any problems (....like slippage) while pulling on larger fish :?: :?: :?: In setting up your connections, did you use the method described in Blanton's article :?: :?: I know I'm being paranoid but I'm a little leery of using braided loop connectors over monofilament or coated monofilament lines.... :roll: :roll:

Rick J
02-13-2006, 08:22 AM
Like Bill, I went to Slick Shooter on my skagit lines - using 35# and 50# - I like the 50# better. I set them up with mono loops and just used a nail knot at the back end - seems to hold well. I saw a post where Ed Ward uses a no-slip knot for a connection

Darian
02-13-2006, 09:15 AM
Thanks for the info Rick.... 8) Guess I'll head down to Kiene's and try to take Bill up on his evaluation offer. 8) Then make a decision.... :? :?

Bill Kiene semi-retired
02-13-2006, 09:32 AM
Darian,

Then you would be an offical 'tackle tester'.

Andy was feeling it and said that he would probably try the smallest size.

HC
02-13-2006, 01:25 PM
Darian, Yea, like on the blanton board, same way. I always do a pull test no matter what line type or knot I am tieing. I've not had a loop slip off a running line and only once had a loop open up, and that was my fault. On regular mono like amnesia, I put in a figure eight knot in the amnesia, then slip the (35lb) braid over it and trap with a nail knot finish with a little pliobiond. No problems with the loops on slick shooter the braid digs in to the coating nicely. Figure less than 7 lbs pressure on a delta fish, anyhow. other situations maybe different. But, if you are not comfy with loops I think slick shooter would take knots just fine. Harley

Darian
02-13-2006, 03:39 PM
Thanks for the info harley.... Took Bill up on his offer and went to the shop this PM and picked up some Frog Hair Shooting Line, .022 diameter, 50 lbs test for evaluation. 8)

Actually, I liked the feel of the Frog Hair material better than the RIO Slickshooter but it's too soon to make any choices, here. 8) I'll post what I find out about this line as I go.... :) :)

Darian
02-16-2006, 12:47 AM
OK Guys,..... Got chance to play with the new Frog Hair Shooting Line, 50 lb test, .022 inches in diameter, 44 yards in length..... Retail price $12.95.

Tied a bunch of small loop knots (perfection, double surgeons, etc.). I deliberately didn't lubricate the knots. The only loop knot I found easy to tie was the perfection Loop. No burning was evident after cinching down the knots. Gave 'em all several good tugs with no breakage. 8) Haven't tried the Bimini Twist, yet. :? I made connector loops out of braided butt leader material. No problems were experienced with it pulling off the line. 8)

The line is stiff when compared with, say, Amnesia or Hal Janssen's Leader Control Butt Material, 30 lb test. The diameter of the Leader Control mono is .024; thicker than the Frog Hair product. 8)

I cast the line on a 9 wt rod with an 11 wt shooting head line, a 6 foot leader and dummy fly. 8) The conditions today were cool with steady breezes. The casting was done on the grass at a park. 8)

I cast about 20 times into the wind and an equal number with the wind. It added a significant amount to the distance of each cast over that I'm used to under similar conditions. when the line was initially stripped from the reel, it was very springy or coiled. I stretched the line and found that it straightened but less than the mono lines I'm familiar with. After about 5 casts. the coils were back. So, this line has some memory to it. Even tho the line coiled, I only experienced one tangle out of all of the casts made. :) However, that tangle was not easily removed. :? Even tho the line is finer in diameter than Hal Janssen's line, it was easy to grip and handle during casting. :)

All in all, the Frog Hair Shooting Line appears to be a good product. :) Only you can say whether it's worth the price. :? I believe I'll put it on my salt water reels as it's fine diameter and casting qualities appear to meet my requirements. :D :D

I'll try some more knots and cast again under changed conditions and make an additional report, later. :D :D :D