PDA

View Full Version : Painted beads?

alaskanfish
02-11-2006, 09:44 AM
Does anyone on this board, or in CA, OR or WA are paint beads for trout? I'm curious to look at variations. Thanks.

Adam Grace
02-11-2006, 11:10 AM
What?

PaulC
02-11-2006, 11:25 AM
Hey Alaskanfish,
Our guide on the Kenai only painted the beads with a light coating of milky white nail polish. He believed that had a factor in hookup, but personally I didn't notice much difference between a painted bead or a nonpainted one. I think up there size is more of a factor than detailed color. Looking at the eggs the dollies were coughing up there was a large spread in color, but size was consistent.
Plus there are a ridiculous amount of colors/variations available through trout bead vendors.
As a side note, just be careful if you are fishing beads on certain waters up there. Some rivers classify them as a lure such as the Russian, but you can still fish a glowbug.
Dunno if that helps.
-Paul

Darian
02-11-2006, 11:31 AM
Not sure but I think I understand your question just not whether you mean to limit the area to Alaska.... :? :?

At any rate, I believe Paul has the right slant on this. The size of the eggs/beads is important. Then the color.... 8) 8) 8)

alaskanfish
02-11-2006, 07:00 PM
Thanks guys. My question was in regards to the NW areas besides Alaska. I am interested different variations and so on... Ed

PaulC
02-11-2006, 08:08 PM
Hey Ed,
Bead wise here I have not noticed any difference painted or not.
A good site as an example of whats out there for variety sake is www.troutbeads.com
It will give you a good idea of the ridiculous amount of colors/variations that are out there without modification on the anglers part.
-Paul