PDA

View Full Version : Spring fever?

Bill Kiene semi-retired
02-10-2006, 11:50 AM
Cabin fever?

Wow ...................this weather is inspiring.

March is my official month for the transition from Winter to Spring.

You can have black bass action, stripers and halfpounders in March if it stays warm.

There is not a lot of fishing right here in Nor Cal right now so this would be a good time to do something with the wife.....only kidding.

This is a good time to work on your tackle, get some flies tied, plan some good trips for this summer...........

My wife said that this would be a good weekend to work on the yard????????????

Rick J
02-10-2006, 01:09 PM
Can't stand it anymore - Bruce and I are going to hit the South Fork of the Eel tomorrow to see waht we can scare up - first opportunity to do much playing with tube flies I have been tying up

Wednesday Caster
02-10-2006, 08:33 PM
Bill,
The grass can wait at my house. I'm vicariously Ffishing
through the BB of fly fishing and refinishing a couple old
bamboo sticks. Gonna need FFA Fly Fishing Anon pretty
soon here.

Rick,
Please post a report on the Eel upon your return. My nephew
and I are hoping find some time in March to drive 10+ hours
(2nd annual Steelie Run) to entice maybe 1 or 2 steelies to our
side. I understand 4 weeks allows for a lot of weather change
but your report will at least wet our appetite.

Quinn

David Lee
02-11-2006, 12:24 AM
I'm draggin' the wife out tomorrow trolling for Trout w/ gear - :shock:

Pray for 1200 CFS on the A. , otherwise ..... I just might sell off all my fly crap and take up golf .

No s--t . (Maybe just a little ...... :P )

David :evil:

Darian
02-11-2006, 12:29 AM
Water levels are getting to everyone but David :?: :?: This is bad :shock:

Guess I'm lucky. I've gotta get my gear ready and resupply my flies for Baja. Gotta have a goal to get thru this.... :lol: :lol:

OregonSalmon
02-11-2006, 10:01 AM
Been springlike up 'har on the Oregon coast. Amazing weather. Fishing conditions are fantastic. Yet what am I doing? Splitting and stacking firewood!!! It's official: I'm an idiot. One hell of a he-man, but an idiot. And on the day this week I wasn't doing firewood, I was on the couch watching six hours of C-Span. So I'm more than an idiot...I'm a freakin' crazy idiot!!!! In the immortal line in the movie "The Fly": HELP ME!!!

PaulC
02-11-2006, 11:19 AM
Hey David,
Don't sell your fly gear man. You can always book south to my parts and flog the surf for a weekend. Granted it ain't Baja, but the beaches are shaping up nicely after these winter storms. Going to hit the low today and tomorrow and see what I can russle up. Hey, you might even be able to ditch the waders with this warm weather.
-Paul

This pic is a bit out of focus, but gives you an idea of the great structure.
Nothin like a sunset on an empty beach.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v715/Cronin/Super_Trough.jpg

David Lee
02-11-2006, 08:47 PM
Actually .....

Hit Sly Park this afternoon ..... hooked FOUR Mackinaw , landed two !!!

Didn't bring a flyrod (savage , I know ....) but they could have been had on a big bugger or bright Zonker . 15 to 25 feet deep , right in front of the 'chiminey' - all 16 inches to five lbs. .

Next time ..... :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

David :D

02-12-2006, 12:58 PM
Cool David
Did you get any smallies? or trout?? I love that lake in the Spring.
I still like you even if you did go to the dark side :roll:
Sturm

Rick J
02-12-2006, 02:57 PM
The South Fork of the Eel around Piercy was still a bit too high for ideal fly fishing - probably a foot or so - water color was fair - maybe 2 feet visibility- worse as you went down stream. The East Fork at Benbow was still pumping mud - lots of guys and boats on the river and a good number of fish being caught by others - Bruce and I were the only fly fishermen I saw - Bruce had one on for a few head shakes but that was the only grab - still a gorgeous day on the river - should be really great in another week if the next rain storm they are calling for does not do too much damage

SullyTM
02-12-2006, 08:10 PM
Hey David, back in the day I had a single digit handicap :D Now my clubs have at least an inch of dust on them...But, 18 holes does sound nice :lol:
At least you won't have to row tomorrow! Thom

Wednesday Caster
02-13-2006, 11:58 AM
Rick,
Thanks for the update.
Quinn

Rob
02-17-2006, 09:53 PM
Well not spring like weather here its 2 deg right now.
I went fly fishing monday (20 deg.) but ice would build up on the tiptop and all the eyelets and the flyline. So until temps come up I think I will stick with snow shoeing and wildlife and outdoor photography. :)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v636/rgkempton/Wildlife/resized.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v636/rgkempton/Wildlife/resizedmoose.jpg

OregonSalmon
02-20-2006, 10:00 AM
David,
I have a buddy who runs the outdoor school there at Sly Park and he needs all the info he can get on fishing the area. If you are willing to share what I believe to be extensive and practical knowledge, I'll have him do a post on the board for some questions. Jog that noggin' of yours.

David Lee
02-20-2006, 02:50 PM
Hi Gallen -

I can't lie to ya ..... I am FAR from being the 'local expert' on Jenkinson/Sly Park .

I have fished it about a half-dozen times over the years , always with spinning gear . It's a good place for small planter Rainbows , mid-sized Mackinaw , the odd nice Brown , and pretty fair Smallmouth . I will get up there more this spring , this time w/ fly tackle , and I expect to do well on Smallies and Macks . I'll keep ya posted on the results of my monkeyshines ....

David :D

OregonSalmon
02-21-2006, 10:03 AM
Thanks for the info David...those Mackinaw give me some ideas. They can be taken on a fly. Something big and deep I've heard. I forgot about those browns. Sounds like a lot of options in that res and I have a terrible guess for all of them!!!
Hey, have you ever fished Brush Creek res? I'm still stumped by the termite hatch.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
02-21-2006, 11:49 AM
Mackinaw or Lake Trout are really deep in the summer. Around 200 feet in Lake Tahoe.

They 'top line' for them in the spring for a short while before the surface warms and they go deep again.

They are probably shallow winter and early spring?

I hear they are pretty good eaten.

http://www.tahoeangler.com/tim3.jpg

From the 'Tahoe Angler' web site.