PDA

View Full Version : Can you feel those bass moving up to the banks?

Bill Kiene semi-retired
02-09-2006, 09:37 PM
With this warm weather it does not take long to get those LMB to get active.

I still believe that April/May is the "crazy wild time" for black bass though.

In Nor Cal there is a new warm water fly fishing revolution going on.

With all the good water we have close to home for warm water species it is crazy not to get into it with your fly rod.

many have never seen a good day (evening) of top water activity for black bass so they don't know what they are missing.

Right now Keith Kaneko of Angling on the Fly travel is working on a top bass destination in Mexico near Mazatlan. He has friend who fished there recently and boated over 50 bass a day on top water flies.

Adam Grace
02-09-2006, 09:43 PM
I was discussing this same thing with Hogan today. He looked up the temperature requirements for pre-spawn activity, the book sadi that the large females will start to forage and prepare for the spawn when the temperature of the water reaches 55-62 degrees.

Come on warmer weather! :wink:

J.R.
02-09-2006, 09:50 PM
I've always wanted to try warm water fishing, but I don't where to go around here in Sacramento. I am trying to get into warm water fishing because I am not always going to be able to make it to the Yuba, American, etc. and some places close to home where I could fish. Plus some of my earliest fishing memories are Saturday mornings watching panfish and bass fishing on TV before I even knew what a trout was. It would help greatly if anybody could give me any info on some places to go.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
02-09-2006, 10:08 PM
Hi J.R.

Where do you live in Sacramento?

We have a flier at the shop we give out that has a bunch of bass/panfish destinations on it.

March should be a good starting time for warm water fly fishing in smaller shallow ponds if the sun stays out like this.

Cameron Park lake is as good as anywhere.

Having a float tube or something to float on/in will help in catching fish in more places.

http://www.kiene.com/gallery/albums/WarmWaterFishing/adamsmallmouthalmanor.sized.jpg

Being out off the bank 30 to 50' in a boat or float tube allows you to make a presentation to the structure and retrieve away from the structure which is more natural.

I like to fish in the evenings in the spring/summer with top water flies.

Hairstacker
02-09-2006, 11:10 PM
Yep, I can't wait! Come mid-March, I think you will also find the smallmouth bite turning on in various valley lakes that have 'em. I plan to be there to greet them. :) By the way, I've always like that smallie Adam is holding in that photo -- beautiful fish!

Darian
02-09-2006, 11:30 PM
Hey JR,.... in addition to the list mentioned by Bill, if you click on "links", you'll find some ponds that are relatively close by under "Bass Ponds". 8) One of the best ways to locate ponds is to get hold of some local maps. 8) There's some nice ponds located where you'd never expect them.... 8)

Good fishin' and good luck.... :D :D

J.R.
02-10-2006, 06:12 PM
Well to answer Mr. Kiene's question, I don't really live within city limits, I live in Sac county about a half mile or less from Elk Grove city limits just off of Elk Grove-Florin Road(basically Watt Ave at it's southern most point). Secondly, where can I buy any topo maps of the area?

Darian
02-10-2006, 09:48 PM
JR,..... Topo maps are available from the U.S.G.S. in Menlo Park or from backpacking stores like REI, etc. You could, also, invest in a National Geographic product such as the Seamless USGS Topographic Maps on CD-ROM.... 8) This latter product is a collection of 10 CD's for all of California, is expensive but produces printable maps in minutes.

Other types of maps that're available are roadmaps from AAA, county maps from Metzger or Topo maps from B.L.M. 8) The latter (BLM) has offices on Cottage way here in Sacramento. You can, also, order maps on-line from AAA (if you're a member) or the government agencies. 8)

Dig in and do some research for some very interesting info.... :) :)

BruceB
02-10-2006, 10:51 PM
If you're looking for places to fish in Elk Grove look at the Thomas Guide for Sacramento county maps 357 and 358. Some of these ponds don't have access, but some do. They all hold fish.You just have to drive around to see where you can get in.

TaylerW
02-13-2006, 09:36 PM
just got back from a pond in angels camp, my buddy got a a 4 pounder, a 4 pound two ouncer and 11 other small ones. I caught a 2 pound 9 ouncer, three small bass, and a 7 pound 13 ounce monster :D :D . My biggest yet.

Adam Grace
02-13-2006, 11:30 PM
That's a big fish.

Largemouth?

TaylerW
02-14-2006, 07:20 AM
yep, all of them were largemouth

Adam Grace
02-14-2006, 11:09 AM
What did you catch them on?

Subsurface streamers fished deep?

TaylerW
02-14-2006, 11:19 AM
sorry to say, i wasnt fly fishing, crankbaits and the big one on a senko

Adam Grace
02-14-2006, 12:19 PM
How deep were you fishing them?

TaylerW
02-14-2006, 05:08 PM
from 6-9 feet. I was eating lunch and my pole was laying about two feet from me, the fish took the pole off the boat and i grabbed it in the air.
i will have pics soon

Darian
02-15-2006, 12:02 AM
WOW!!!! You caught your pole in mid-air :?: :?: :?: Ya know, it kinda sounds like you were fishin' on the dark side. :shock: Yer pole was laying down when the fish hit.... :? You wouldn't've been usin' garden hackle wouldja :?: :?: :P :P :P (It's OK, tho. dunnit myself more than once :lol: :lol: )

Hairstacker
02-15-2006, 10:34 AM
Must admit I'd be thrilled to catch an almost-8 lb bass on ANY kind of tackle. :lol:

jbird
02-15-2006, 10:57 PM