PDA

View Full Version : Simms Boots ?

Tony Buzolich
02-09-2006, 07:23 PM
I'm really due for a new pair of wading boots and I've always had Simms Guide models with studded felt soles and they've been great.

The problem now is that Simms makes their Guide model with studs in a hard rubber sole instead of felt.

Their new G3 shows felt soles but has screw in studs that look like they'd go into the bottom of my feet as the felt wore down.

Does anybody out there have any first hand experience with either of these? How about you Bill, which ones do you like the best?

Can't decide,
TONY

Bill Kiene semi-retired
02-09-2006, 09:01 PM
Hi Tony,

I too use the Simms Guide boot with studded felt so I would either try the Guide boot with studded AquaStealth or I would try the Simms L2 boot with studded felt.

For me it would be mostly about how they fit me.

PatrickM
02-09-2006, 10:25 PM
Hey Tony,
I have a pair of the L2s in AquaStealth, which I screwed the studs into. No problem with them sticking through into my feet, but a few of the studs have fallen out.
Also, the L2s seem to fit a bit tighter than the Guide boots. I'd suggest trying a pair on with waders in the shop before buying.
Hope that helps.

smokeater
02-09-2006, 11:12 PM
I have had the studded L2s with felt soles for a few seasons. They've been pretty bombproof. The only other boot I was looking at was the Beefy Wading Boot from Patagonia, but the Simms boot was much lighter and bit less expensive at the time.

Gregg
02-10-2006, 12:12 AM
Tony-

I picked up the Guide boot in studded aquastealth and...I'm in love. They are super comfy & grip well on everything I've thrown at them so far. I do a lot of hiking & rock hopping and they've performed exceptionally well. We'll have to see once I get a few dozen days in them, but I'll bet they'll hold up fine. Definitley thumbs up.

Chris Gearhart
02-10-2006, 09:16 AM
Tony, I have been using the L2 with Aquastealth soles and studs for several seasons and I love them. I hike and rock hop a ton and they perform better than any felt sole boot I have ever used.
If that wasn't enough, I owned my first pair for at least two seasons and had worn the soles down. The folks at my local fly shop told me Simms can resole them. I also had worn through some of the stitching on the side and had requested a repair if possible. Simms sent me a brand new pair of L2s. They felt the boots should have lasted longer. That is customer service!! Guess what brand of wading boots I will be buying when I need a new pair ??

Chris

WinterrunRon
02-24-2006, 12:16 AM
Tony,

I may be to late to help but I just today purchase studded Aquastealth Riverteks after consulting with Simms, Simms rep and Jeff at Keine's. Here's what I learned.

Simms says they last 6 times longer than studded felt. Local Simms rep says he loves his and swears by them. Pay attention to product lineup, however. Riverteks only come in EEEE width, L2's and Guide boot in EE, Freestone in EEE and new G3 (EEE width, no studs) won't be available until June (delayed release date per Simms due to tweeking of the design).

Hope I'm not to late with my info.

Ron

Tony Buzolich
02-24-2006, 07:29 AM
Thanks Ron,

No, I still haven't decided though I'm glad to here about all the widths the various model come in. I've got a really wide foot (11EEE) and it's hard finding a good shoe or boot that fits well.

Sounds like that Aquastealth sole is working out for most guys that have them.

Thanks again, TONY

WinterrunRon
02-24-2006, 09:42 AM
Tony,

I'm no expert but I'd steer you towards the Riverteks. I wear thick wool socks and have a wide foot also and they were by far the most comfortable boot I tried on with plenty of wiggle room for the toes. On the plus side they're built like a tank, on the down side they're a tad heavy, but we can't have it both ways, can we. Today will be day one in the water on mine.

PS. Kiene's has a couple of 12's at a 30% discount! Sorry, I picked up the last 11. Good luck!