Adam Grace
02-07-2006, 05:16 AM
Here my buddy Gregg with a MONSTER bass from Chico! :twisted:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v238/flyguyag/fishing/greggbassfinalprint.jpg

Have you guys ever caught a bass THIS fat? :lol:

jbird
02-07-2006, 07:13 AM
Adam

This is a bass I got my first time flyfishing for them. I got a few others that were nearly as large that day. I had to just horse strip them in to keep em out of the cover.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v283/jbird35/DSC01982.jpg

MSP
02-07-2006, 07:17 AM
I'll take Jbird's fish, sorry Gregg. That is a beauty though :roll:

Bill Kiene semi-retired
02-07-2006, 09:26 AM
Hi jbird,

Where were you....roughly.

Hairstacker
02-07-2006, 10:33 AM
Jbird, very nice fish!! What'd you catch him on?

Adam Grace
02-07-2006, 01:28 PM
Nice bass!

Your first time out, I'm jealous. It took me a while before I landed a fish in the 5lb and up range.

Bass fishing is fun.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v238/flyguyag/Chico/IMGP2449.jpg

This fish was my last "large"bass about 4lbs or so. Nothing like yours but at least I had the pleasure of landing it with my 4wt. :D

jbird
02-07-2006, 06:52 PM
Wow! Thanks for the interest! I was actually hiding the picture. Bass'n is kinda frowned upon by the many stuck up steelhead/trout snobs around here. :lol: I actually got this fish in a back slough of the rogue river. There were some giant crappie too. My buddy (sculpin) suggested we go check this place out last spring. Not knowing the first thing about bass flies. I tied a couple worm flies.lol They were essentially 3-4" long chinchilla rabbit strip lashed to a #2 tiemco bass hook, with a pink rabbit collar and a gold cone head. It turned out they loved it. I totally lucked out on that one, pure and simple.lol The water was pretty clear and cold and I would strip it gently and let it sink. I could see the fly in the water and if it suddenly disapeared, it was usually in a mouth. It was really fun!
I'm looking forward to spring to try it again.

Here is another picture Ive kept hidden of one of the big crappie. This fish is in the 12-13" range. I'm a pretty big feller so unfortunately, I make fish look small :lol:

Adam, Sorry, I honestly didnt mean to sabatoge your thread. That is a really cool picture you posted.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v283/jbird35/DSC01983.jpg

Adam Grace
02-07-2006, 07:28 PM
Jbird, are you kidding? I love to see fish pictures and talk warmwater fishing.

That is a nice fat crappie, did it take the chinchilla worm as well?

How did it fight? Almost every crappie that I have ever caught has hit the fly like a ton of bircks, but never fought very hard.

I'm surprised that there are bass in the backwaters of the Rogue. Where on the Rogue is there backwaters warm enough for bass?

My pond here in Chico doesn't have any crappie that I know of but it has crappie sized Bluegills. Like the fat fellow below.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v238/flyguyag/Chico/bigchicogill.jpg

Hairstacker
02-07-2006, 07:45 PM
Bass'n frowned upon? What a weird place. :wink: :lol: Guess I better tie up some gold coneheaded chinchillas. Very nice crappie by the way, and another helluva bluegill by Adam. You guys are making me anxious with March just around the corner.

jbird
02-07-2006, 09:06 PM
Adam

Yeah that crappie took the same fly. The tiemco bass flies are sized funny. A #2 has a gap like a 3/0...its huge. Was totally shocked the little fella got it into his mouth. I thought it was a bass till I had it to hand, It was getting dusk. I caught that ones twin a few minutes later.

There are a couple sloughs on the rogue. They hold most warmwater species including carp that grow rediculously huge. The particular spot we fished is one of the last somewhat undiscovered places on the rogue, so I must keep quiet on location...sorry :roll: Every now and then I'll see some bassers in a sled head in thru there from the main river. Its a hidden oasis that is quite large. I am going to try to contact the land owner this spring so I can possibly access it with my pontoon without having to float to it on the main river. Hes also got some trophy bass ponds that arent connected to the slough. It will be interesting to see what happened in the slough from our flooding this year.

Jay

PS that bluegill is a toad! It looks like its about to burst! LOL

Hairstacker
02-08-2006, 08:31 AM
Jbird, I hear you about those Tiemco size 2 bass hooks. I used to tie my bass bugs on Orvis size 2 hooks and then switched to Tiemco last year. I was amazed by the size difference between the two brands of hooks, the Tiemco ones are huge -- hard to believe they're both sized as 2s.

Fish are funny sometimes about going after big prey. Years ago, I was fishing a 6" plastic worm for bass and caught a 13" crappie. :roll: Couple years ago I was fishing a size 2 deerhair bass bug for bass and caught a redear sunfish. :shock: Last year, I caught a 5" bass on a 4" Clouser. :? Sure makes fishing more interesting. :lol:

As far as the "undiscovered" bass hole, I don't blame you, I would hold that close to the vest too. If you throw your tried and true pattern without much action, try something different -- I am starting to become convinced that bass "learn" to avoid lures they've hit before. Same thing with retrieves. Just a theory derived from pounding spots over and over during a season. . . .

Darian
02-08-2006, 12:18 PM
Hmmmm,.... Adam, I seem to detect a bit of legerdemain (...hope I spelled that correctly) in the original photo.... I'll bet the Bass is thin as a piece of paper when viewed from the front.... :? :? You wouldn't be trying to spoof all of us BB members, again, would you :?: :?:

I'm gonna have to take a closer look at all of the photo's you submit from now on 8) 8) :lol: :lol:

Adam Grace
02-08-2006, 08:49 PM
I took a picture of a print on the back of a catch and release t-shirt, then put it in Gregg's hands.

Simple but fun!

Darian
02-08-2006, 10:23 PM
What is it they say :?: :?: "One picture is worth a thousand words" ....Good job Adam 8) :lol: :lol: