PDA

View Full Version : 2.2.06 Yuba Report

J.R. Hubbard
02-02-2006, 08:46 PM
I floated and sorta fished the Yuba today with my fried Bill Lowe. The flows are high and we knew that going in, but we just wanted to see what has changed and see if we could see any bug life. For the people that have fished that river a lot, you are in for a suprise! In some ares the river has just moved over 50-100 feet. As the flows went back down, the river created new channels in new areas. The biggest and most dramatic changes are the take outs.
The Gun Club is easier to take out at. Where you drive around the mountain and over the culvert (SP) with the pond on the left...well, that's the take out! The river has breached that pond and you pull your boat out about 20 feet from where the outhouse was. The crazy thing is that the shore on the other side of the river is in the same place, so the riveris about 200 feet across! Also, where there used to just be gravel is now fishable channels that it a slightly lower flow could fish NICE!
Sycamore is hosed! There really is just no way around it. I will try and explain this as well as I can. The creek that you once drove across to the point is now GUSHING! The Yuba has actually breached the pond next to the camp ground far above where you used to take out. Somewhere in the middle is another place where the Yuba has carved a channel and met up with the creek as well. When we were standing on what is now an island at where you would be if you drove across the creek and to the right about 50 feet, looking across at Sycamore you see WATER! The water goes right up to the campground and is cooking through! There is no way, no chance, not going to happen that you can pull out at Sycamore until the flows come down. Even then, I would still be suprised. You would think it would dry up ad you could drive across, but it SO deep now in that creek bed, that even dry I am not sure you could get a car over there.

Please forgive anything I didn't spell right o my grammar. I'm tired...it was a long windy day...and no fish, which was fine, we knew what we were getting into.

:o

nightgoat
02-02-2006, 09:15 PM
Thanks for the report. That's a bummer about Sycamore, especially for those of us without access to the Gun Club. Will it be possible to float down the side channel and hit the campground? I would hate to try to row or drag my pontoon boat up the creek. :cry:

Adam Grace
02-03-2006, 01:52 AM
Yeah J.R. Thank you very much for the descriptive detailed report. I can't wait until I see it for myself. Thanks again!

Hairstacker
02-03-2006, 02:34 AM
The description of the change at Sycamore is just amazing. I've seen them use a bulldozer to work that creek crossing. Would surprise me if they don't fill in that spot with gravel once the water comes down to allow vehicle crossings. Guess we'll just have to keep our fingers crossed. :(

J.R. Hubbard
02-03-2006, 09:02 AM
It's hard to say if Sycamore will recover without a major ordeal. Where the Yuba cut in, joined the pond and then hooked up the creek is raging. The problem is at a lower flow it may dry up. If it does, then there will be a gully where the water. The creek is now about 45 feet across and it is COOKING! If the channel stays there, then you could pull out at the campgroud. You couldn't do it at this flow. There is too much water and no place to pull in.
We will have to wait and see....

Jeff F.
02-03-2006, 11:20 AM
Thanks for the report. How was the clarity???

Jeff

J.R. Hubbard
02-03-2006, 12:21 PM
MUD!
It's not good above Sycamore and where the creek pours into the yuba it's worse.

Chris Gearhart
02-03-2006, 04:46 PM
J.R., thanks for the report. Too bad the news isn't a little better. I am going to be floating it on the 10th I wonder what a week will do. I also am going to be floating more for info than fish (although a couple of fish wouldnt be bad). Too bad about Sycamore. Hope I have better news in a week.

Chris