PDA

View Full Version : Fishing on Isla Holbox

bridjames
02-02-2006, 04:48 PM
To Bill or anyone else who's been down to the Yucatan,
My wife and I are going down to Isla Holbox for a week in late March. I know it's not as good of a time for fishing as in the summer, but we wanted to get in some fly fishing.
Just wondering what areas you would recommend, and if there are any (fly) fishing shops or outfits on the island (or mainland) that were reputable.
Thanks much!

brian

Tony Buzolich
02-02-2006, 08:37 PM
Brian,
I was there just before the hurricanes hit it so hard and we had a great trip, but it is primitive as to accessories. I know most of the island got washed away from other reports of people who live near there. Faro Blanco is where we stayed and was quite nice if it's still there. I heard also that the one water line that comes from the mainland to feed the island was totally destroyed as well. You should check with whoever is booking your trip if things are okey now.

As for fishing, it was great inshore and in the mangroves. We did venture offshore in search of the giant tarpon and saw plenty of them but with a full moon the entire week not one of group got a single grab on a big one. The baby tarpon were everywhere in close as were the snook. Plenty of Jack Crevalle and permit too.
TONY

Bill Kiene semi-retired
02-03-2006, 01:07 AM
You might do some checking.

I heard that 10' of water went right over the town and pretty much ruined everything.

They might have it fairly well repaired by now though.

About 10 years ago we helped Bill Marts and Alejandro Vega pioneer that tarpon fishing in Isla Holbox but I have never seen any tackle available there or a shop. If anything the locals will want to buy your tackle, leaders and flies.

Look up Alejandro Vega (Sand Flea) if you want to go out for a day or two of fishing. There are not usually big tarpon off the beaches in the winter but there are always baby tarpon and snook in the back country.

mrsandfleaholbox@hotmail.com

bridjames
02-07-2006, 10:37 AM
Bill and Tony, Thanks for the replies and the good info. We're looking forward to the trip. Hopefully the island will be in decent shape, as well as the fishing.
I'll post a report after we get back at the end of March.
brian

Adam Grace
02-07-2006, 01:18 PM
If you tie any tarpon flies, tie up some in blues and purples. I fished Holbox about 1.5 years ago. They showed me their tarpon fly assortments and most of the were ties with marabou in the blue and purple color range.

I also tied up some large white wooly buggers on saltwater hooks and hooked a couple of snook and a bunch of baby tarpon. I had to proove to myself that in fact the wooly bugger could catch every fish possible. They worked like a charm.

Have a nice trip!