PDA

View Full Version : Head-on-Humpy (HOH)

Brian
01-30-2006, 11:23 PM
Check out this fly that I came across browsing my other board, a head on head humpy. Pretty slick looking
http://www.rockymtnfly.com/index.php?s=c36a9f71e368f7b262d60566698964d2&showtopic=438
It would probably do well on most of the Eastern Sierra streams n rivers, especially the stocked ones.
Not that I'm fishing them anymore :cry:

SullyTM
01-31-2006, 10:03 AM
Brain...Interesting looking fly. I may have to tie up a few. thanks for posting. SullyTM

J.R.
01-31-2006, 08:49 PM
I agree, looks pretty interesting. Is it supposed to imitate anything specific, because it looks like a good hopper imitation to me, especially if you took away the elk/deer hair up front. But that's just me.

SullyTM
02-01-2006, 08:04 AM
This fly brings to mind something I've never tried and that's a 2-fly rig using a fly like this as an indicator and your second fly is a nymph pattern. Can someone direct me as to a good 2-fly rig set-up...I don't particularly like the blood-know set-up. What is the proper way tie tie on a length of tippet to the first fly, if that's the way you do it? Thanks for the help. Thom

Darian
02-01-2006, 09:58 AM
Hi Thom,.... If you take or have access to California Fly Fisher magazine, the December 2005 issue has an article titled, A Cast of Flies on page 38. 8)

It discusses several differing set-ups for using multiple fly casts; including a dry fly with a trailing nymph set-up. 8) 8) 8)

SullyTM
02-01-2006, 10:13 AM
Thanks Darian. My local fly shop carries it. I'm on it. I've never used an indicator of any sort...don't know why. Call me old fashioned I guess. But, it's worth a try. Later. Thom

MSP
02-01-2006, 10:13 AM
Hey Thom, I rarely use 2 fly setups anymore with dries, but this is the one I would use if I did. I like to use the KISS method. Call me a simpleton :)

PS: No I don't use lime green line on my tippets! :shock: Is this what you were looking for?

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b400/MPutman/DSC00002.jpg

SullyTM
02-01-2006, 10:19 AM
Something like that, simpleton, er' Mike :lol: For me, the simpler the better :lol: Lately, I've been coming across alot of articles etc. talking about a 2-rig set-up. Don't know how much use I'd have for it since my one fly set-ups are so successful :roll: What's up on the Yuba? Thom

MSP
02-01-2006, 10:36 AM
The "Y" is not looking good from the reports I've been reading. Still high and off color. I like fishing it when the flows get below 2,000 CFS, but I hear it is very fishable around 3,000 if the water clarity is good. Under 1,000 is the best for me. I need a dry fly fix, I'm starting to get the shakes ](*,) Oh yea I'm getting old so I should expect those.

Now they have raised the American flow up again, when will it ever end :?:

PaulC
02-03-2006, 12:07 AM
Hey Sully,
One rig I use as a dry dropper rig in the eastern sierras is a larger size 14-16 humpy but tied with a loop of mono out of the back of the hook shank. Tie that first and coast with epoxy, then with the rest of the pattern on top and allows for easy attach of another fly to the rear for a dropper. I use that rig alot when fishing either a weighted dropper or really really small bugs. My eyesight is good but I can't see a 24 emerger at distance. At least this way, you know the rise anywhere within a 12" radius of the indicator bug is most likely on your emerger.
Actually in Alaska, there were sections where you could not fish two hook rigs, but the fish were spooky. Using a hopper or other pattern with the hook cut off for the indicator produced more than the standard yarn indicator rig. Could have been coincidence as we really didn't have much time to make a science experiment out of it, but was just an observation.
Part of the fun is the experimentation for sure.
-Paul

Gregg
02-03-2006, 12:22 AM
Sully-

I run a two fly rig for a majority, if not all my nymphing. Generally I'll run the 1st fly as a larger bug (#14 dirty bird) then tie on 18" or so of tippet off the bend to the second fly, which is always smaller (small PT or BWO in a #16 or #18). I'll put the indicator up front of the first fly enough to drop both flies into the feeding zone with enough split to tick the bottom as the flies drift. Can be complicated to cast, but if you slow down your rhythm it's not too hard to get the hang of. I'll generally change the bottom fly the most often if I don't get any hits, never letting the distance between the flies get less than 14" or so. Other tip, don't tie the dropper (second fly) off the eye of the first fly. Some people do it, but I've found it has a tendancy to tangle more easily and the drift acts a bit less natural. Hope this helps! :)

SullyTM
02-03-2006, 08:14 AM
Paul and Gregg...Thanks for the lowdown. Paul, it sounds like you know the Eastern Sierra? I might me up there in May around Twin Lakes, East Walker River etc.. Any suggestions? Thanks. "2-Rig" Thom

PaulC
02-03-2006, 07:54 PM
Hey Thom,
I've been fishing out there since I was 5...granted alot of the younger years not on fly. Similar concepts with dead drifting but a spin rod instead.
Being further south nowadays my typical stomping grounds are from tioga pass south through bishop. I've fished the walker a few times and its a great river, but I'm a newbie as far as time on the water goes.
Usually I shoot out for a weekend so minimizing driving is key.
If you are interested in driving further south I can probably talk your ear off with different spots. However, in may the number of locations are reduced due to the high snow levels depending on what kind of season we have. There are still some good opportunites for small stream browns in some places and some blue ribbon water on the owens.
But later in the season...oh man. Repeatable timed caddis hatches for big browns on dry, drive up goldens, a 5 mile loop with everything from goldens to brookies, and the scenery is unparalleled except by the swiss.
If you have backpacking equipment, the fishing opens up even more.
I'll be taking it easy with trips this summer and plan on spending more time on the eastside. Maybe we can hook up out there sometime.

On a side note...I ran into a swiss couple backpacking on one of my usual trails and they commented that this was better than switzerland. That day...I could see that being the case.
Shoot me a message and I can dump some spots if you are contemplating going south of lee vining or if you're swingin through yosemite and then north.
-Paul

Here's a pic of a spot south of mammoth. Granted the fish in backcountry aren't bohemoth steelhead, but they have a beauty of their own.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v715/Cronin/paul2.jpg

One of the typical bows
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v715/Cronin/Big_Springs_Catch_1.jpg

SullyTM
02-07-2006, 08:33 AM
Paul...Once my plans get firmed up, I'll pick your brain. That photo of you(?) standing in a mountain pond looks enticing. Backpacking "in" to pedestrianless waters is something I'd enjoy doing...

What kind of caddis patterns do you suggest? Thanks. Thom

Darian
02-07-2006, 07:48 PM
OK guys,.... I've been thinking about this fly and have decided that it's really making the need for an indicator fly needlessly complex. :( Also,... I'm wondering how much more effective this pattern is than say a Humpy, Stimulator or other standard dry fly. :? :?

I'm gonna continue to go with Foam Hoppers, etc., for my indicators.... 8) 8) 8)

Mike O
02-16-2006, 12:05 PM
gimme a stimulator and an emerger or copper john. Especially on the Y.

Also, I like 2 nymph rigs, light and dark, large and small (one of each, i.e. large and dark nymph with small and light one)