PDA

View Full Version : New Loop Spey Reels

Adam Grace
01-29-2006, 10:23 PM
This sexy new reel is a modeled after some old school reels. This new "Classic" reel is fully machined Alunimum with a smooth modern drag system. The Loop Rep. showed one to me at Fish First about a week ago and I just had to share them with you guys. They look awesome.

Here are some pictures -

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v238/flyguyag/Fly%20Shop/CANE0ZZD.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v238/flyguyag/Fly%20Shop/RedReelClassic.jpg

These are really cool spey reels. I'm not sure if they come in single-handed sizes. They are a little pricey but they would give your spey outfit a classic look.

Sal Manilla
01-30-2006, 10:16 AM
When will these new reels be available?

Thanks,
-Sal

Hairstacker
01-30-2006, 10:48 AM
Adam, I agree, those look very sweet and classy! Nice, classic lines, including the s-shaped handle.

flygolf
01-30-2006, 10:51 AM
I have to get one of those!! How much are they going to retail for?

Adam Grace
01-30-2006, 06:49 PM
I can't remember. I can't even find the price for them online after about 5 minutes of searching. But I think that they were mid to high $400's. Possibly a low $500. Pricey but awesome.

bubzilla
01-31-2006, 04:41 PM
Pictures of those showed up on speypages back in the fall. They're pretty reels and I guess you could say they look somewhat similar to a vom Hofe reincarnation of sorts. Supposedly they're making them in three sizes--one to fit single-handers and two for spey rods. I guess they have the same drag as the new Evotec. I guess they're coming with a leather case, too. Probably not an Arne Mason, though. :wink:

It will be interesting to see what they ultimately sell for here in the States. Someone on speypages mentioned a price of around 900 Euros for them in Europe. Based on the current exchange rate that would put them well over $1000.00 U.S. each. The only reference to price I've seen from a vendor taking orders online was 4800-5600 Swedish Krona--which would be in the $650-$750 U.S. range. Of course prices in Europe don't always relate to prices here, though. Another figure thrown around on speypages was $700-$800 U.S. for the largest sizes. My intuition would be that is probably their ballpark. I would be happy to see it, but would be utterly shocked if they sold them for a price that was competitive with their new HDs or LWs in the $400-$500 range. Not sure they'd even be selling the HDs and LWs for that if it weren't for competition from Danielsson.

Even at the higher price those reels are still going to fill a niche. With some of the makers of classicly-styled reels no longer even offering their reels, e.g., Olson, and others with reels that are several times what the Loops will probably run in terms of expense, e.g, Saricone, or that require being on a waiting list for basically forever, e.g., Noel, the Loops will probably be well received. Plus, even if the new Loop drag isn't as good as the Danielssons as some have alleged, they would have some nice advantages over the click and pawl design that a lot of the other reels made to look like classics incorporate.

Anyway, I look forward to seeing them in person.

Here's a link to Loop's site with some more information about them.

http://www.looptackle.se/eng/showroom/reels/classic.htm