PDA

View Full Version : Anybody using their swap flies?

SullyTM
01-26-2006, 08:13 AM
I have participated in several Kiene swaps this past year and have always wondered who is using their swap flies...I have saved several of them, but it most cases I put them to good use. Anyone got a success story? I recently tossed one of MSP's poopahs from the Secret Santa Swap and landed a lunker Sacramento Sucker :? The other 2 poopahs I'm saving for a rainy day trip. Later. Thom

01-26-2006, 04:52 PM
Hey Sully
When I get good flies from people I mount them on my wall. I have a complete room for fly tying so there is plenty of room. Your blue damsel and Mike the hairstackers #20 adams along with Davids mr. ugly red bass fly tied with wool coated with goop ( where did you come up with that fly David??) Maybe I should put that thing up with Hot lips to keep it company. Anyway they make good samples for me to tie. Keep it fun.
Sturm :roll:

SullyTM
01-26-2006, 05:05 PM
I hear you Sturmer on saving some of the flies...It is hard to fish them. Your Hot Lips hasn't touched water :D She and your Weedless Black Bugger are going steady :lol: Hope to see you in another swap soon. SullyTM

Darian
01-26-2006, 10:36 PM
Hey guys,..... Ya gotta keep those flies away from Hot Lips. :? Otherwise you could wake up with a whole bunch of new baby flies..... :shock: :shock:

Actually, I'm like Sturmer; a collector. 8) I've quite a collection of others flies and wouldn't think of using any of them for fishing. 8) Good examples for copies, tho.... 8) 8)

Brian
01-26-2006, 11:27 PM
I'm with the majority. I use my flies for examples and display. The flies I recieved from the saltwater swap are way too nice to use on fish.

Hairstacker
01-27-2006, 12:37 AM
Yep, me too, a collection of sorts to be admired and copied. Too many of 'em are just too nice and one of a kind to risk losing 'em.

SullyTM
01-27-2006, 08:59 AM
Speaking of admiring and replicating...Mike, a year ago we were in a swap and you submitted a Yellow Stonefly pattern. Do you remember the fly? Do you have the instructions to tie it? I probably asked you once before and if I did I've misplaced the information. I started framing some swap flies last week and I'd like to tie a few of those stones. Thanks Mike.

Any swaps coming up here on the Forum?

Later. Thom

Darian
01-27-2006, 09:51 AM
Hey Thom,.... The current swap is being conducted by Steve Schalla. It's a Mayfly Emerger swap. 8) 8) I believe entry is already closed. It's under the topic of Happy New Years Swap, I believe..... It was a little slow getting started so will begin on 2/1.... 8)

The next swap will be by Lil' Striper (if he's still interested....) and is a Striper Fly Swap.... :) :)

SullyTM
01-27-2006, 10:24 AM
Thanks Darian. If Lil' Striper is unable to host, I'll do it. If not I'll particpate. Thom

Hairstacker
01-27-2006, 01:26 PM
Thom, yeah, I remember at the time you had PM'd me and expressed interest in the ingredients of the Golden Stone pattern, but you didn't want me to provide instructions, as you thought it would be fun to figure it out. I'm not aware of any written instructions for it, and I had tied it based solely on pictures of the fly. This is the link where I found these pictures and a list of ingredients for the original:

www.danica.com/flytier/lwilliams/golden_stone.htm

I substituted pale yellow kevlar (which worked perfectly!) for the monocord. The sequence of steps turned out to be quite unusual, and I truly had a fun time puzzling it out. I tied the entire fly with pale yellow kevlar, which also serves as the ribbing on the abdomen and thorax. You'll notice the entire fly is ribbed underneath but only on the abdomen on top. The satisfying part for me was figuring out how to tie, dub, and rib the entire fly without ever cutting the kevlar. I believe I adopted a sequence that is perfect. I'd be more than happy to write up the steps and send them to you, if you like (once I re-figure them out, ha). But if you enjoy the tinkering aspect of fly tying (which I think you do, since you're into those "realistics"), I would highly recommend you try to puzzle it out. I mean that sincerely, I think it would give you great pleasure and a sense of accomplishment, as it did for me. But, I also know you probably already have other projects in process as well, so if you would prefer me to just write up some instructions, I'd be more than happy to do so, just let me know.

SullyTM
01-27-2006, 02:54 PM
Thanks Mike...The link should do it. The photos show it all. You're correct about "puzzling" over a pattern. I'll let ya know how it turns out.
When I first start tying a couple of years ago I felt I had to have the "exact" materials called for in a pattern. Turns out I was wrong :D What I like about your version and I hope to duplicate it is the "tightness" of the finished fly. If I find myself &*%$$#!!!@**&^##!! up a storm, I'll call Professor Hairstacker :lol: Later. Thom

BTW...My deerhair spinning has gotten better. I'm looking for a good muddler pattern. Anyone have one?

Darian
01-27-2006, 05:30 PM
Funny how things change.... 8) 8) During the heydays of English/French royalty, the materials used in a particular Atlantic Salmon pattern were followed so closely that debates over which to use frequently ended in duels to the death.... :shock: :shock:

Hairstacker
01-27-2006, 11:42 PM
Whether to use the exact materials called for in a pattern probably has enough meat in it to start a whole new thread. I very much prefer to use the exact materials called for in a named pattern that hasn't become a "type" fly, like a woolly bugger or Clouser. 'Course, it takes a shocking amount of materials inventory to take that approach if you tie a lot of different patterns.

Darian, the history aspect is very interesting to me. I bet some of those fellas took perverse pride in subscribing to, say, a pattern that called for very rare, difficult to procure materials. On the other hand, some of those materials are now unobtainable due to extinction and species protection laws. I think some of those tyers of fancy Atlantic salmon flies still very much prefer, though, to use the exact materials called for when at all possible. By the way, talk about art, those guys are amazing. I recently looked at a couple of their step by step picture tutorials and was extremely impressed by the skill level and techniques employed. Not to mention, the flies are drop-dead gorgeous. 8)