PDA

View Full Version : Umbrella Hooks

SullyTM
01-25-2006, 05:47 PM
Hi Bill...Do you carry Umbrella Hooks?

Has anyone ever used these hooks for dries? They look interesting. Thanks. Thom

Darian
01-25-2006, 10:33 PM
Pardon my ignorance but what the Hell is an umbrella hook :?: :?: Man,.... ever since I crossed over into old age, the hook world has passed me by..... :? :? :?

David Lee
01-25-2006, 10:58 PM
Hi Bill...Do you carry Umbrella Hooks?

Has anyone ever used these hooks for dries? They look interesting. Thanks. Thom

Er ...... Huh ?!?

You don't mean those Waterwisp hooks , do ya ?? I think Jeff Goding tyed on those a while back - Or perhaps treble hooks ???

Post a photo , I'm flummoxed here .

David :?

Gregg
01-25-2006, 11:54 PM
A simple google search...and, ta da!

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a233/gjshaw/fly%20tying/umbrellafly.jpg

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a233/gjshaw/fly%20tying/umbrellafly2.jpg

Good query Sully, they look pretty interesting to me too.

Adam Grace
01-26-2006, 12:13 AM
Interesting but I think that I might be able to sum it up with one 7 letter word.. G-I-M-M-I-C-K!

It looks cool but that hook is kinda far away from the actual fly. What happen when a trout simply sips in the fly and doesn't completely engulf the hook and the practically seperated "fly."

Who know maybe it'll be a hit? I won't accept it until I hear of guides fishing it as well as major respected hook manufacturers like Umpqua selling that style hook.

MSP
01-26-2006, 12:52 AM
Makes you kind of wonder what's next. :shock:

I suppose we're not catching enough fish with the old conventional stuff. :?

Looks pretty cool though. :thumbsup:

SullyTM
01-26-2006, 08:00 AM
I respectfully disagree with Mr. Grace. I don't see this as a gimmick but as a progression of a hook's design. Why wait for guides and an entrenched corporate hook manufacturer to endorse it? Why not give a "newbie" an opportunity?

I am waiting on a pack and if it turns out I waisted my $$ I'll be the first to post a "don't buy 'em" review. Adam is right on regarding what might happen when/if a fish takes a bite, but I'm willing to take a chance. Since I can't afford a spey rod, I'll go with the hooks :D Thom

Darian
01-26-2006, 09:18 AM
Hmmmm,.... Interesting.... :? :? Kinda looks like a very small 60 degree jig hook with the fly tied on the angled part of the shank.... :) Wonder of the small size of the hook means that the angled shank will obstruct the gap :?: :?:

OK Thom,.... When you try them we'll need a report 8) 8) 8)

Adam Grace
01-26-2006, 09:22 AM
I can't wait for a report Tom. Good Luck.

SullyTM
01-26-2006, 09:40 AM
Once I receive the hooks I'll give them a toss...

Now, if I could just field test a spey rod :roll: Thom

jbird
01-26-2006, 08:34 PM
I think its a fantastic design. I cant think off hand of any other use for them than dry flies, but contrary to Adams observation, I think you'd stick MORE fish with this setup than conventional hooks. I probably miss 4 out of 5 takes with dryflies....on a good day. I think the hook deeper in the water will hang more fish that change their mind at th last second and dont commit to the bite. also I like the way it keels the fly. it looks like a tedious technique to tie a body and everything seperated from the hook tho. The picture Gregg posted is a beautiful tie. Another perhaps advantage to that setup is your fly might not get trashed so fast as it may tend to stay outside the fish's mouth. I am excited to hear a field report on these.

J

SullyTM
01-27-2006, 10:36 AM
jbird...problem with this hook is when I get a package and tie some dries where do I fish them? :lol: Seems like every body of water from now until Spring will be high, muddy and moving fast! Not to worry, things will get better by bass/bluegill season :wink: SullyTM