PDA

View Full Version : Skagit Line for the Anderson #4 12' Spey

kbstull
01-23-2006, 10:22 PM
What is the most effective Skagit set up for the Anderson #4 12' spey? Should I use an existing Skagit line from Rio or Airflo, or do I need to build my own? Thanks for your input guys!

Kevin

Jasonh
01-24-2006, 07:45 AM
Thes best line for that rod is strictly just the body of the rio windcutter in 10/11/12. There has been some talk about this is previous discussions that you can find if you scroll down the spey page. Bill kiene made a great post called lining up for skagit that you should check out. I just recently put the 10/11/12 body on the same rod and am using tips from a 8/9/10 windcutter and it seems to work great even for a begginning skagit caster. Hope this helps.

Jason Hartwick

Rick J
01-24-2006, 07:53 AM
Jason is right on - I brought that rod to the Grand Ronde this fall and spent some time dialing it in with the help of Mike McCune - we tried both the WC 9/10/11 and the 10/11/12 - they both worked well but I liked the heavier WC a bit better. Bill carries the WC bodies (around 24 feet long with a loop). It will throw just about any tip you want and a size 2 cone head leech with no trouble.

Based on stuff Scott O, Mike M and Ed W are doing, I cut off the running line and looped in RIO slickshooter in either 35# or 50# as the running line - this thing flies and it is still very easy to mend. I would leave around 12" to 24" of the running line and loop that.

It works well even with the running line it comes with if you don't want to cut it