PDA

View Full Version : Knots to you.....???

Darian
01-22-2006, 10:40 PM
OK Guys,..... I've been reading some material on knots acquired from Mr. Bill Nash (famous as an authority on Blanton's board)..... 8) This material is mainly text but includes diagrams, descriptions, recommended usage and break point ratings.... Very interesting and usefull materials. I highly recommend it to anyone wanting to learn more about the subject. 8) 8)

One of the chapters deals with furled/twisted butts for leaders and leaders, themselves. The main selling point for usage of these leaders appears to be the cushioning affect of this type of construction. 8) There is one example of twisting the doubled loop in a Bimini Knot to provide additional cushioning.... :?

I was curious to see if anyone has used one of these leaders or leader butts in Baja :?: :?:

David Lee
01-22-2006, 11:52 PM
Jackpot , Mr. C !!!

On my trip to Punta Colorada , the only leader systems I used were Rod Harrison's Knotted Dogs (size 7/8 ) - I used 12 and 15 lb. Trilene Big Game for tippets (Kreh loops at the fly and the KD leader) and never had a single leader/tippet failure . Mind you ..... I didn't land anything over 4 lbs. , but I put the HEAT on them surf fishes BIG TIME .

I think the stretch of those 'twisted' KD's saved me a few times - If I'm not mistaken , Mr. Harrison came up w/ these leaders because the Australian guys were losing too many big fish (the Oz fishos use GSP braid instead of mono .... it doesn't stretch very much) due to breakoffs and hooks tearing out . The KD's saved the day , and are among the many useful innovations our Aussie friends have come up with .

You can google "Knotted Dog " , or go directly to Rod Harrison's website -
www.harro.com.au to learn more . I highly recommend a visit there , those guys know what's up , as far as dealing w/ big fishes . A great group of people on their message board - despite a little Aussie/Yankee ballbusting :P :evil: .

Oh , one more thing - they really , really turn over big flies .

David

Darian
01-25-2006, 01:37 PM
In constructing a leader for Baja In-shore, involving a twisted butt section, what are the knots you would use to connect the butt section to the line and the tippet to the butt section :?: :?:

I've already installed braided loops on the heads/lines and prefer loop to loop connections..... It would seem a good choice for the butt to line is a surgeons or perfection loop but is a Bimini overkill for in-shore :?: :?: (I hate building Bimini's.... :x :x )

How about connection of the tippet to the butt section (which already includes a loop in it's construction) :?: :?: Perfection or surgeons loop :?: :?:

jbird
01-25-2006, 06:14 PM
Darian

I like the Kreh loop, I did a bunch of knot strength tests. Tied 2 different loop knots and looped them together and pulled til one of em broke. The Kreh held every single time and then I tested the kreh by itself, couldnt get the line to break at the knot.
http://kje.home.mindspring.com/loop.htm

Jay

Darian
01-25-2006, 10:43 PM
Hey Jay,.... Thanks for the post. :) Altho I've used the Kreh knot for the tippet to hook connection, I hadn't even considered it for the loop to loop connect.... :roll: :roll: Great Idea.... 8) 8) 8)

What about when using a Bite Tippet (heavier Mono or wire) :?: :?:

jbird
01-25-2006, 11:20 PM
Darian

For class to shock, use a slim beauty knot. just premake them and put a loop on the butt end of your class tippet. that way you can just loop one on when a shock tippet is needed. If youre not familiar with the slim beauty, heres a link to a step by step video (and still pictures) of how to tie it. It is incredibly easy and it has a very slim profile. http://www.midcurrent.com/articles/knots/slim_beauty.aspx

For wire shock you can put a loop in the wire with a haywire twist or a crimp. If your using knotable wire, you can use the slim beauty or an albright knot.

Jay

Tony Buzolich
01-25-2006, 11:37 PM
Darian,

Get over the Bimini trauma. Practice a few and then practice a few more. After a while you'll do them almost without thinking. It's always easier if you have some one around helping but it can be done alone as well. I use them all the time at the shop when I'm putting backing on a new spool. Especially useful when using gel-sun. They don't always have to have an exact number of wraps to work. Most often I use 25-35 wraps for mono, and more for gel-spun.
On the leaders, I carry a few made up ahead with a double bimini in whatever class tippet you plan on using, mostly 16#-20# for the salt. The top one is simply looped to a surgeon loop in the butt section. The lower bimini is used with the bite in either a Huffnagle or an Albright.

And speaking of Albrights, that's the second most useful knot to learn. Any time you are adding a bite, tying on a butt section permanently to a line, or simply joining two unequal sizes of line, an Albright is the strongest way to go. Albrights are good too if using wire to mono when you're after toothy critters like cuda's or sierra.

Double surgeons are so standard I don't even think about them any more. They're just kind of a basic given that everyone should know.

Hope this helps, :D or adds to the confusion.
TONY

David Lee
01-25-2006, 11:46 PM
the only leader systems I used were Rod Harrison's Knotted Dogs (size 7/8 ) - I used 12 and 15 lb. Trilene Big Game for tippets (Kreh loops at the fly and the KD leader)

I thought I said that .

:twisted: David :twisted:

Darian
01-26-2006, 09:33 AM
David,.... Looks like Harro's site is under reconstruction. Not much avaialable there right now.... :( :(

Darian
01-26-2006, 03:56 PM
WOW!!!!.... It doesn't get much better than that. :D :D Thanks for the testimonial, Carl.... 8) 8)

David Lee
01-27-2006, 07:01 AM
Darian -

Sorry about that , I should have been more specific . I meant Harro's board .

David

SullyTM
01-27-2006, 09:07 AM
Tony...I had to get some therapy after trying the Bimini Twist :lol: But you are correct...practice makes perfect! When tied correctly you can use the BT for a trailer hitch! Thom