PDA

View Full Version : Newbie w/ a new spey rod...

torbotek
01-22-2006, 12:47 AM
Hi all!!! Just wanted to ask recommendations as to what line I have to get my new spey rod (TFO 6wt 12'6). I have read somewhere that it would be nice for a beginner to start w/ a skagit line first? Anyway, I would really appreciate your help. Thanks and this board rocks!!!

By the way, I'm from the Bay Area and I'm planning to fish the American river w/ my new spey rod!

Adam Grace
01-22-2006, 12:59 AM
I have personal experience with casting different lines on that same rod. I prefer the Airflo 6/7 Delta line, it's just a floater but you can cut it and add tips if you like. Although that spey rod is a little light for sinktip fishing IMHO, the closest production multi-tip spey line is the 6/7/8 Windcutter from Rio, it's a little heavy but do-able.

That 12'6" 6wt TFO spey is a nice Half-Pounder rod.

Gregg Machel
01-22-2006, 02:37 AM
I think you'd be able to cast farther in a shorter amount of time with a Skagit line, but I prefer the traditional spey lines. Basically with Skagit casting, your going to be shooting more line and stripping it back in again before your next cast. Traditional spey casting doesn't require as much line shooting. I use a windcutter line on mine and I've been told to overline it at least one. This depends on your rod though. If your local, I'd talk to Jeff Putnam at Kiene's Fly Shop and get his thoughts. Maybe even get a lesson or two from him, he's the best in this area. Actually, he just put out two DVDs too, the second DVD features Skagit casting. Check it out on his website. http://jpflyfishing.com

torbotek
01-23-2006, 11:27 PM
Adam and Gregg,
Thank you so much for the replies!!! I have purchased Jeff Putnam's Dvd and I also have sent him a pm on my line question... anyway, is 6wt too light for the American river? Thanks again!

Adam Grace
01-24-2006, 09:14 AM
Torbotek, the 6wt will be fine for fighting HP's and adults but the short length and softer action might make those longer casts more difficult. Not that you always need to make long casts but that's what spey rods were designed to do. Your 6wt will do fine as long as you smooth out and control your casting stroke. If you add too much power you can easily colapse your 6wt's tip and cause casting errors such as tailing loops. You are on the right track purchasing Jeff's DVD. Next apply what you learned from the DVD's to your casting practice on the water. Then the next step is to hire Jeff to help iron out any existing problems.

Try the Skagit style lines for that rod, they should work well for it.

Good luck and enjoy your rod.

Jeff Putnam
01-25-2006, 12:22 AM
Torbotek, thanks for purchasing the dvds and I hope you enjoy them and uncover the secrets of spey casting... just dont get too good, I dont need the competition (ha, ha). I wish I could have posted sooner, I haven't had a whole lot of time to check the board lately, I'm trying to post more often but I've been so busy selling those darn dvds!
The TFO 12'#6 likes 400 to 475 grains to load it. I like the Windcutter 6-7-8 (455) grains, the Windcutter 5/6 (365 grains) doesn't load it and the Airflow 6/7 (500 grains) wont allow for anything but perfect acceleration, a bit too heavy. The Windcutter 6-7-8 Versa-tip system also has sinkingtips that will work great for winter fish or anytime you need to get a little deeper. If you try a Skagit style line go with a Rio Skagit 450 grain. Good luck, jp

Adam Grace
01-25-2006, 01:39 AM
Thanks for the correction Jeff, my memory must be faulty.

It sounds like the 6/7/8 WC will work out just fine.