PDA

View Full Version : Ultimate #8 Weight Spey??

matt johnson
01-20-2006, 07:13 PM
Hi all,

I am in the market for a new #8 weight spey rod.

I am quite content with my ultralight and light arsenal, but the perfect #8 weight for BC and all around winter fishing still eludes.

I like rods less than 14' in length. I am not sure what kind of caster I am, but I know I like rods with power, but still load deeply into the butt (not too fast). I am very happy swinging anything from skaters to 7" string-leeches. I do not get along very well with long-belly lines.

Any suggestions? What are you guys happy with? Thanks, Matt.

rrivera
01-20-2006, 08:00 PM
Howdy Matt -

When it comes to Spey Rods (My opinion only); I purchase them through private well known rod builders.

Washington & Oregon to me has some of the best desingers, and beat some of the big boy manufactures out there; in taper design, blank integrity, and all round performance.

Meiser Rods, Anderson Rods, and Burkheimer just to name a few - are part of my arsenal for trout and steelhead. From 10 foot switch rods, and Spey Rods from 11.6 to 16 foot can be made by these talented and well received rod builders.

You mentioned you like a powerfull 8 wt -- The advantage of getting a rod specially made is that you get to choose all the material parameters that the builder has to make your rod.

I won't buy a big manufacture Spey Rod - Why..? Because I would rather buy from professionals that fish the waters on a constant basis that I want to fish. These privtate rod makers know what works for thier waters and are designed for the fish they catch.

Pricing & Warranty varies but thier are some great deals on some good work, and quality service. It's always a pleasure to know that the Spey Rod your fishing with was a close collaboration between you and the rod builder.

Thier are plenty on trout rod builders and trout streams - But steelhead rivers are region specific and so are the Spey Rod builders and people who fish them. Hope this helps - Sorry for the long reply, but my spey rods are a bit more special to me than my trout rods...

Good luck... Ray

Adam Grace
01-20-2006, 08:43 PM
The SAGE 8136-4 is a nice rod, though you should know that because of your Bainbridge connection.

Try the Scott 13'8wt ARC, very nice.

matt johnson
01-20-2006, 11:01 PM
Ray: I like the idea of supporting one of the craft builders from Southern Oregon, as I believe I fish a lot of the same rivers they do. Have you cast/fished any of Meiser's Mike Kinney Specials?

Adam: I have cast and fished with an 8136-4, but for some reason I am just not jazzed about it. I know many others like this rod. I expected it to act like a big brother to the 6126-3 (still my all-time favorite two-hander), but it felt more like a second cousin. Maybe I have not had the right line on it to make it work for me? I'll have to look into the ARC 1308 again. I just wish Scott would put shorter grips on their two-handers! I feel weird with my hands that far apart.

Any other suggestions out there? Matt.

SPG
01-20-2006, 11:11 PM
Hi Matt,

I work with Gary Anderson developing spey rods for Jeff Putnam and I get to see the really cool stuff early. Jeff is an extreme distance guy and his rods certainly do that very well. I guide and teach spey on the Rogue and I preach long rods, short lines. Gary has a new rod for Jeff an 8/9 in 2 configs, a 15'1" and a 12'4" and as a hybrid, both sizes. Jeff may demo both this weekend at WAtt Ave. You should contact him. If you would like to know more from me please call, 541-840-2595.

Steve

Bill Kiene semi-retired
01-21-2006, 02:12 PM
I hear the Sage 7141-4 is really an 8/9 and is quite a 'stick'.

Rick J
01-23-2006, 07:57 AM
Gary Anderson also has a series of 13'3" speys in 6, 7 and 8 wts. I have the 7 and it is a very powerful rod for casting any line - it does great wtih short bellys and tips. My frined Bruce Slighton has the 8 wt and likes it as well. They are fairly fast but still load fairly deep if you need that power. I would second Adam's chocie of the ARC for a bit deeper action rod

Adam Grace
01-23-2006, 09:08 AM
Rick has a good point. That Anderson 7wt is an awesome 8wt. I bet that you'd like it Matt. Jeff Putnam should has a sample for you to demo.

OR... You could go down to the San Rafael show and try it out. Maybe we'll meet up again and throw some spey rods together.

matt johnson
01-23-2006, 06:20 PM
Thanks for the input guys.

As near as I can tell, I am living in a "spey vacuum" up here in Tehama County.

I need to log off the computer, put down the fried chicken and jo jo's, and leave the comfort of the trailer park to search out the nearest show or spey-clave to try out all the new rods out there.

The 13'3" Anderson rods have definitely piqued my interest. Hopefully will meet some of you on the ponds at the San Rafel show. Matt.

bubzilla
01-23-2006, 08:14 PM
Take up Steve's offer and give him a call. If you're thinking about one of Gary Anderson's rods, he's the guy to talk to. When he says he "works with Gary" on developing rods he means literally. I guarantee he is second only to Gary himself in terms of knowledge of Anderson rods--and it would have to be a close second.