PDA

View Full Version : Line for Scott LS2 1307?

matt johnson
01-18-2006, 10:32 PM
Hi all,

Anyone have any experience casting/fishing with either a Windcutter or Rio Skagit line on this rod? Thanks, Matt.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
01-18-2006, 11:22 PM
Hi Matt,

http://www.rioproducts.com/pages/speyrecs.asp

On the Rio web site under Spey rod/line info they recommend a 450 Skagit.

Jeff Putnam
01-19-2006, 12:08 AM
I would suggest a Windcutter 6-7-8 or Skagit 450. I think the recommendation for a 5-6 Windcutter (from the rio site) won't load the rod enough. For fishing deeper I use the 450 skagit with a 5 foot cheater and 12 feet of t-14. Handles a bit larger bug nicely. I like a mid spey 7/8 for fishing any distance with or without tips. What a great rod for Nor Cal and So Oregon. jp

Adam Grace
01-19-2006, 01:13 AM
Matt, are you planning on crossing over to Scott? :P

That LS2 is a SEXY spey rod. I prefer a little bit more load in my rod so I would first try the 7/8/9 Windcutter line for more load. Although I need to feel more rod load than the talented Mr.Putnam - DVD Super Star! :lol:- to properly "feel" the rod while I'm casting. The LS2 is a bit faster for my ARC 12'8" 7wt and the 6/7/8 feels a tad light at times but the 7/8/9 usually feels a bit too heavy on my ARC. Since the LS2 is a faster actioned rod I prefer the heavier 7/8/9 WC line.

I love Scott's LS2 spey series, super light and responsive.

Matt, are you planning on crossing over to Scott? :P

matt johnson
01-19-2006, 03:25 AM
Bill, Jeff, Adam,

Thanks for the responses. This helps.

Adam: Some friends gave me a Scott hat last fall, but everytime I try to fish rods made by anyone besides a certain globally dominant manufacturer, some guy from Bainbridge Island finds me and beats me up.

One of my fishing buddies from Southern Oregon recently picked up this rod and asked me to recommend a line. Since this person is a relatively new spey caster, I think I'll recommend the 7-8-9 WC. Thanks, Matt.

Adam Grace
01-19-2006, 02:56 PM
Yah, those Bainbridge Island guys can get rough! :lol: :lol:

I thought that you might have been moonlighting on the "darkside" :lol:

That Bainbridge company is nothing to scoff at!