PDA

View Full Version : New Gary Anderson Spey rods designed by Jeff Putnam.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
01-18-2006, 10:42 AM
Gary and Jeff have been working together to design a new special series of Spey rods.

I just saw a new one that Jim Christensen bought that is 13'1" #5/6 in 4 piece. Wow................

You might want to call or email Jeff about these new rods.

jeff@jpflyfishing.com

916/502-2037

Jeff is usually at the shop helping us out on Tuesday and Wednesday.

Gregg
01-20-2006, 01:24 AM
Jeff-

So what's up here? I may pick one up just to support you... A "Pro Model" spey rod, perhaps? Has there been one of those before? Maybe you can make a living at this!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Jeff Putnam
01-25-2006, 01:17 AM
I have been working for quite a while on spey rod designs for California and southern Oregon with a few rod manufactures including Gary Anderson. Most manufactures tend to focus their attention on larger market demands which include heavier weight rods for fisheries like BC, Russia and places where the 14' #9's are needed and where the fish are larger than in our dreams. Gary's focus on rod design has been based on our backyard fisheries where the fish average under ten pounds, like Rogue, American, Trinity etc. Gary also knows what a spey rod should feel like while casting and fishing. I have found this out after working with him on several rod series.
I have always wanted a series of spey rods that would be able to meet the many demands we have for our local fisheries. First, it should be able to cast sinktips for winter steelhead, shad or whenever you need to get down, which means the rod can't be too soft. It also has to preserve the integrity of fighting fish 4-6 lbs with a refined, lighter tip, cant be too fast or stiff. I wanted a rod that incorporates the feel found in high-end spey rods which make it easier for a beginner to learn how to establish an anchor point. The first rod, just finished, (EDS 13'1"#6) meets these demands. The 13'1" length will also make it easier to pick more line off the water when needed (SA XLT #7 is a perfect match for dry line steelheading on the Klamath!) and control longer distance presentations. For you Skagit casters, the Rio 450 is dialed! I could go on and on... oops I think I have... we'll release a 15' 1" #9 very soon and a 13'9" #7 sometime in the spring. jp

Anne Vitale
01-25-2006, 11:54 AM
Jeff...The new JP designed, ACRs sound great to me. Especially the new 15’ 1” #9. As you know, I am a big fan of Gary’s and own an ACR 1265. That has been my go-to rod for the American, Russian and the Rogue for the last year and a half. Love it..love it...love it. However, the 1265 is not my first rod. About four years ago, shortly after I started flyfishing, I bought a 14’ 8/9# Loomis GL3 on the advise of a club member. I can throw it pretty well for a while at the casting ponds but I’m afraid I won’t be able to sustain casting it all day long on the Skeena R. in BC (especially if I get into to some of those larger then our dreams fish you mention) when I go up there for a week in August. Do you think the new 15’ 1” #9 might be an answer to my problem?..or will the new 7 wt be a better choice......AV
PS...do you know if Gary will have prototypes of the new rods with him at the San Rafael Show?

Jeff Putnam
02-02-2006, 01:21 AM
Anne, the new 15'1'#9 should come with a warning label about distance problems...like "When casting, warn anglers on the other side of the river to duck!" This rod will become one of the most popular longer spey rods in the industry. We worked this rod for a few months and after a few prototypes the distance machine was born. An SA Xlt #9 is a great line for this spey rod. It feels very light for a 15' 1" and I'm very excited to start showing it. It along with the entire spey rod line a few impressive "others" will be at the San Rafael show. Oh... along with the rods you might see some tall guy, early 30's, sporting a weathered fly-fishing-look, trying to pawn his dvds, while hanging out with Gary Anderson. (please dont feed him) See ya there! jp

Rick J
02-02-2006, 09:00 AM
Hi Jeff,
Really looking forward to the San Rafael Show and playing with the new rods! Hoep the rain does not blow us out!

I was over at Bill's the other day to meet Marco and they were having problems playing your dvd's. I am very interested in them but wonder if they will play on my current system? How will I be able to tell? Also will you have a way to view them at the show?

Best regards,
Rick

Brett
02-02-2006, 03:27 PM
To think, I once worked with a living legend! Congratulations Jeff, on the success of your DVD's and new rod designs. Could not happen to a better guy!

Anne Vitale
02-02-2006, 08:05 PM
Thank you Jeff....That new 9 wt-- mile long :shock: :shock: :shock: casting machine (I hope it comes in at least four pieces for traveling) sounds fantastic. See you at the San Rafael show for a hands on demo........Anne

Jeff Putnam
02-05-2006, 12:13 AM
Anne, actually it is available in 5 pieces. Just spent an hour with it today, what a great afternoon to cast. The river was all over the place with flows that spiked mid day to 9000cfs, definitely threw off the steelhead bite. Rick, the dvds will be available to view at Garys booth, on a monitor, at San Rafeal. Jp

Martin G
02-20-2006, 04:23 PM
I have been a lurker here for the longest time and I would like to say hello to everyone! Anyway, I was at the San Rafael show looking for some new toys and such and came across a very nice gentleman/fisherman/instructor by the name of Jeff Putnam. I recognized him instantly from the Spey casting DVD I bought 2 weeks ago.He was casting a couple of spey rods w/ a friend and invited me to try it. I told him that I do not have ANY experience w/ casting a spey rod except from watching it from his DVD. He said that he will show me how.He handed me the spey rod he was playing around (a sage rod) and I tried mimicking the single spey movement I have seen him do on the DVD and on the pond. He gave me some pointers but I was having a hard time getting the timing of the anchor and was producing really sloppy loops. He then handed me his custom build 13'1 6wt Anderson rod and instantly, I was throwing tight loops!!!! I was really amazed how beginner friendly his custom anderson rod was! He then proceeded to teach me some cool spey casting moves in the next 2 1/2 -3 hours!!! We tried some more high end spey rods but NOTHING was as EASY to cast ( not to mention, really smart looking rod!) as his custom 13'1 rod. I'm now eagerly waiting for my very own Custom Anderson spey rod - Jeff Putnam series! Again, thank you so much Jeff for the patience and that great afternoon! My friend Chris also wanted to thank you for helping him tweak his casting style (single hand rod). He added yards to his casting and is very thankful to you as well!

Cheers!

Martin G

SPG
03-03-2006, 08:18 AM
Hi Martin and Anne

Gary's first 2 rods for Putman's Extreme Disatance Series, the 1316 and 1518, are a huge success according to anyone who has cast them. Well the spey world has seen nothing yet, because the final proto for the middle spey arrived yesterday morning, a 13'9" 7weight, 4 pieces. I cast it with taped on guides last nite and a make shift grip and it is unreal !!!
This rod will make it's public debut next Sunday, March 12, at the Anderson mini Spey clave at Touvelle Park with Jeff Putnam. Three are being built and Jeff will get to bring one back with him. Gary should probably be in custom production in 6 weeks, till then see Jeff or me for a demo. I would feel comfortable with winter steel on the Umqua with this rod and any river in Washington and a lot of rivers in BC.

Steve 541-840-2594

Jasonh
03-03-2006, 02:00 PM
Steve, what lines do you reccommend for the 1316 and the new 7 weight. I am probably going to pick up the 1316 and have heard the new xlt 7 was good on it but what line would you choose for throwing tips. Thanks.

Jason Hartwick

SPG
03-05-2006, 09:21 AM
Hi Jason,

Before you choose your sinking line you need to choose your sinking style. I have a simple illustration that we can go thru over the phone with you having a pencil, lined school paper and a ruler. If you can call me I can have you illustrate to yourself where you might want to go in line choices.

In a std tipped spey line, Gary and Jeff would probably like the Rio WC 6/7/8, but I like the WC 5/6. In our phone call if you can tell me rods and line combinations that you currently enjoy I can calculate your personal casting acceleration and from that you can determine every rod & line match for you, forever. It is amazing and will eventually end up on Jeff's web site, but you and I can do it now.

In a scandinavian style sinker, me 325 Grains, Jeff/Gary 400 Grains.

In a Skagit everybody 450 grains ( this might seem funny that I do not want a lighter style but the purpose of a Skagit is different. I recently custom built two heads for Martin for the 1316 and he just got them, a floating sscandonavian and a Skagit. You 2 and Jeff should get togther and try it out. I will give you the same deal as Martin if you like it

Steve 541-840-2594

swingndeep
03-06-2006, 04:29 PM
I am wondering if this rod will be able to turn over heavly weighted flies like lead eye leeches and stuff with the recomended 450 Skagit? It has been my experence that rods that cast the 450 skagit well do not turn over these heavy flies. After reading the posts it sounds like this rod my have more power.
thanks for your info
mike

Rick J
03-07-2006, 07:55 AM
Depends on what you mean by heavily weighted and how big. I am able to turn over a size 2 cone head fly with Anderson's 1204 and the WC body 10/11/12 used as a skagit line with a 15' tip so expect the 1316 should do ok as long as the fly is a reasonable size

SPG
03-07-2006, 08:01 AM
Mike,

There are 2 elements you are dealing with swinging wet. The first is how deep the fly is at the end of the swing and the rods ability to lift it out. This requires power but a longer rod will add to the ease of digging it out. All of Jeff's new rods are long for there power and they all lift well. It is not the 450 skagit that delivers your big heavy leech, it is the leader and the head. Sounds like you need t-14 and if you do the 450 Skagit is the minimum belly that is needed to turn over the t-14. The 550 is better.The rods job is to turn over the belly and for the flies that you are talking about I would choose Jeff's new 1397 and a 550 Skagit with t-14.

Call if like, I find these boards move too slow. Steve 541-840-2594

swingndeep
03-07-2006, 09:41 AM
SPG,

That is exactly what I have found. I have both t-14 and commerical heads and with the skagit 450 I have had inconsistant turn over. then I moved up to the 550 and got much better results. I am not in the market for a 14' rod however so I will have to do some thinking about where I want to go. It sounds like the 1316 would be a excellent dry line rod with some tips casting on the side.
Thanks
Mike

fredaevans
04-18-2006, 09:15 AM
Hi Martin and Anne

Well the spey world has seen nothing yet, because the final proto for the middle spey arrived yesterday morning, a 13'9" 7weight, 4 pieces. I cast it with taped on guides last nite and a make shift grip and it is unreal !!!
This rod will make it's public debut next Sunday, March 12, at the Anderson mini Spey clave at Touvelle Park with Jeff Putnam.

Steve 541-840-2594

I was the 'first' to get my hands on this rod at the mini-'Clave and walked back to Gary a few minutes later and asked: "What did this just cost me?" One of the finest 2-handers I've ever used; finalized the details on my new toy with Gary yesterday afternoon.

sculpin
04-18-2006, 05:56 PM
Fred
It was nice to see you at lunch today and nice to see you here. As you said there are several of us S. Oregon boys here. Maybe you can wake up the spey section of this board.

Mark

Jasonh
04-18-2006, 06:17 PM
I have heard nothing but amazing things about the new 13'9" 7 weight. I cant wait to give it a try. Unfortunately the waters even too high down here to go work on my spey casting.

Jason Hartwick

Terry Thomas
04-18-2006, 06:55 PM
Jason,
You may wish to talk to Jeff. I believe that he has a couple of spots in some side channels where he has been giving lessons.
T.