PDA

View Full Version : nymphform body for unweighted stone fly tying

metalhead
01-16-2006, 01:13 PM
Bill,

Have you heard a product called nymphform (TM), which is used for an underbody for stone fly that are not weighted with lead? Thank you.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
01-16-2006, 11:26 PM
I googled and yahooed "nymphform TM" and did not get much........

metalhead
01-17-2006, 07:43 AM
Bill,

Thanks, I did the same with the same results. I found the term in a book I bought from you, Stonflies for the Angler by Eric Leiser and Robert H. Boyle,several years ago. Most tyers use lead to flatten out the pattern. I was hoping to find something that would allow the fly to free fall, rather than drop through the water like a stone. Thanks for trying.

Jgoding
01-17-2006, 04:27 PM
Metalhead,

I will use mono or mason's hard nylon to flatten out bodies and add bulk. Just lash a small piece on each side of the hook and add a little zap a gap or other type of glue and ur good to go. You can shave the ends with a razor or crush it down with pliers (with the masons, since it's fairly hard) to create tapers and then overwrap the entire lengths with thread to ensure a nice smooth underbody. some guys use dental tape as well to build up under bodies.

Jeff

metalhead
01-17-2006, 07:06 PM
What I have decided to do is to build the fly on a Mustad double salmon and build up the sides using the same v-rib vinyl that I use for the gills to build up the laeral sides of the hook. Thanks for the suggestions.