PDA

View Full Version : Report from Belize

Bill Kiene semi-retired
01-14-2006, 11:05 AM
I gave this guy some advise about fishing Belize, recommended a guide and sold him some flies. He was on a sailing ship that toured the coast of Belize for a week. Here is his report back to me.

__________________________________________________ _______

Bill, we just returned yesterday from our trip to Belize. I fished with Bruce Leslie on Jan. 2. Although I didn't actually boat a fish I had two tarpon strikes right away. Lost the first one when he swam straight at me and I couldn't get my line tight before he took to the air and sent my fly soaring. We also stalked some big snook wading in the mangroves but couldn't get them to take my fly. Bruce worked hard and I would recommend him as a guide. Also, I ended up renting a kayak from him to take on our sailing cruise. He and his wife, Carolyn, are quite the entrepreneurs. He said he had never met you before but that you had sent him a lot of business and that he owes you a few free days of fishing next time you get to Placencia. Everyone said that Sopadillo Cayes is the very best bonefishing. We didn't get there, but it must be great.

Also, our captain on the sailing cruise is related to just about everybody in Belize. He had told me about his cousin, Emert Garbutt, who he said is the 'best' fishing guide in the country. He said that Emert had three Grand Slams in one week. As it turns out, I met Emert who was with a group of clients at Ranguana Caye. That caye was loaded with bones but I could only coax two onto my line. Emert said the water was too flat and that the bones are very difficult to catch in these conditions. Very spooky. He predicted that in the afternoon when the wind picked up it would be better. Unfortunately, we had to move on but at the end of our trip a woman at the charter company recognized me as 'the guy flyfishing at Ranguana the other day.' She said that on that same afternoon two boats of fishermen came in there and were catching them right and left. The story of my fishing life.....

Our charter captain was also an avid fisherman so we dragged spoons and other lures behind the sailboat all week long. Caught one really nice red snapper that fed nine of us that night. Also several bonita that were yummy.

All in all it was a great trip. I had exactly the right equipment and flies thanks to you. I hope you get down to Belize for some fishing of your own soon. I hope to get to the Sopadillo Flats next time.

Best regards,

Philip