PDA

View Full Version : East Cape Teases…Z-What and Guatemala Deliver

bajafly
01-14-2006, 08:14 AM
REPORT #993. “Below the Border” Saltwater Fly-Fishing reports since 1996
Endless Season Update 01/14/06
Zihuatanejo, Mainland Mexico
We have really enjoyed an outstanding week. The 80º blue water is almost on the beach, and the sailfish action has been great. Almost every boat in the fleet was averaging 8 to 10 sailfish raised a day. This gives a lot of shots to the fly fisherman, producing at least two to three hooked fish a day.

Conventional gear fishermen are getting a per boat average of 3 to 4 sailfish a day, with some boats getting 7 or 8. The blue marlin are still coming in at about 3 a day for the 25 boat fleet. Dorado have been sporadic. Some days they are here in abundance, with some boats getting 4 or 5 of the fish averaging about 25 to 30 pounds, and then they are gone for a day or two.

The Yellowfin tuna are breezing in and out now. But, they are very skittish. With the fish crashing the surface, and the birds diving on the baits, we slowly move in on the school, only to have them sink into the depths. The tuna action should pick up considerably this next week or two.

Some notable catches:
Arturo on the panga Janeth made the 45 mile run to Papanoa to fish virgin waters, and found 2 roosterfish of almost 45 pounds, and 6 large jack Crevalle to 25 pounds. He then fished with fly fishing client Clay Danenhower of Bellingham WA and got several jacks on the fly at the white rocks.

Randy Lueth of Indiana got two sailfish on the fly, which we tagged and released. Plus, I also guided Natale Chiaudani of Italy for two days. On the fly, he hooked 5 sails and a striped marlin.
http://www.bajafly.com/report/edItalian.gif
Score one for the Italians
Ed Kunze, Zihuatanejo
Water temperature 80 - 84
Air temperature 73 - 87
Humidity 66%
Wind WSW 8 mph
Conditions: Scattered Clouds
Visibility 8 miles
Sunrise 7:19 a.m. CST
Sunset 6:30 p.m. CST

San Jose, Guatemala
While the seas were pretty grumpy early in the week, by mid-week they had calmed downed
and the action moved much closer this week with the fleet reporting fish at ten miles. Most of the anglers hardly had a chance for their breakfast to settle before the teasers were let out behind the boats. In no time at all cries of “Cast! Cast! Cast!”, could be heard as the sailfish charged the teasers right up to the transom in search of food. Steady action continued most of the day with most boats reporting double digit shots. Still some dorado in the 20 – 30 lb. class showed up in the pattern occasionally.
http://www.bajafly.com/report/jump.gif
Just Thirty Minutes into the Day
Water temperature 78 - 82
Air temperature 75- 82
Humidity 89%
Wind: Calm
Conditions: Clear
Visibility 6 miles
Sunrise 6:30 a.m. CST
Sunset 5:53 p.m. CST
East Cape
Sporadic North winds this week made it necessary to decide each morning between a kick back day or fishing. Early morning action for sierra has been good; locals are complaining that the 60 degree temps are cool enough to require a jacket. The best spots are at the mouths of the arroyos. If the wind doesn’t crank up too early, the ladyfish action has been great. Still a few dorado if you are in the right place at the right time, same with the tuna. Some of the hotel boats found schools of Yellowfin to 80 lbs. that were willing to bite. The billfish action has slowed in the past few weeks.
Baja on the Fly

Water temperature 69-73
Air temperature 60-79
Humidity 52%
Wind: NNW 12 mph
Visibility 8 miles
Sunrise 7:02 a.m. MST
Sunset 5:53 p.m. MST

Magdalena Bay, Baja Mexico

Still big waves at the Boca’s prevent any of the boats from venturing outside. Already a few early arriving whales have everyone scrambling to finish up the preparations for the upcoming 12th Annual Whale Festival which will be held on January 28th, with a village wide Fiesta that is sure to result in a few bad headaches for some the following morning. In the Esteros the corvina and cabrilla are providing the bulk of the action.

Water temperature 68-73
Air temperature 68-75
Humidity 20%
Wind: NW 11 mph
Visibility 5 miles
Sunrise 7:13 a.m. MST
Sunset 5:57 p.m. MST

Bill Kiene semi-retired
01-14-2006, 10:09 AM
Thanks for the wonderful reporting Gary.

We have a friend, George Brown, down there for 3 weeks and he called from Zihuatanejo yesterday with a good report.

jbird
01-14-2006, 05:06 PM
Gary

I saw a couple recent reports of bubba sized yellowfin tuna patrolling the rooster water at punta arena. Have you or your clients come across this madness?

Jay

bajafly
01-15-2006, 06:21 AM
Yes it has happend several times this year Lance and Josh saw good sized tuna chasing bait close to the beach in May and June.
Some of the gear guys saw them before daylight last June and got spooled on most, but did land a few.
This photo was taken in June.
http://www.bajafly.com/report/lighthousetuna.gif
The following is a report that I recieved last week after our report went out on Saturday morning

JANUARY 7…..Tuna - big tuna with roving schools of fish 50-80lbs, pushing bait up on the beach at the lighthouse. Fishing from shore is resulting in lots of spooled reels and broken hearts. Hungry fish aggressively biting live mackerel.

Darian
01-15-2006, 11:51 AM
Holy Cats!!!! 50 - 80 pound Yellowfin in the surf :?: :?: :?: How in the H___ did anyone land one of those things from the beach :?: :?: :?:

There sure are a variety of baitfish available in the area of the lighthouse. 8) The last time I was there, I was fishing from a panga and looked down into the water to see thousand of Half-Beaks; all about 5' inches in length. They were everywhere.... :) :) What size Mackerel were available then :?: :?:

David Lee
01-15-2006, 12:25 PM
And you guys thought I was nuts to get a 12 foot 12 wt. .

My 5 year goal is ....

Yellowfin Tuna
Yellowtail
White Seabass
Pacific Black Snook
Lingcod
King Salmon
Halibut

All outta the surf on flies .

The King and 'Butt will likely come this summer .

:twisted: :twisted: David :twisted: :twisted:

Bill Kiene semi-retired
01-15-2006, 03:02 PM
One summer when I worked in a bait-n-tackle shop in West Sac (~1970) a guy came in frantically looking for a silver Hopkins hammered spoon. He said that a huge school of King Salmon where on the beach eating schools of bait fish immediately north of the mouth of the Russian River.

He said everyone was there for almost a week hooking them in the surf with either an anchovy under a bobber or throwing big silver spoons. He said there were many broken rods because most people were not up to fresh big Kings in the waves.

I finally got over there a week later and did get to hear more about it.

I guess you just have to live on the beach during prime time like Gary Graham does in Baja.