PDA

View Full Version : Choices

mems
01-13-2006, 01:29 AM
Aloha, I am a high school soccer coach. Today I had about an hour to kill before practice. I went down to Wailoa ponds in downtown Hilo to try out some new flies I had just tied. I got a small papio on a bead eyed charlie I had tied. It is pretty cool to get a fish on your own fly. I headed up the pond a ways to another spot and saw a school of awa feeding on the bottom. A large one came by and scooped up my fly with his vacuum cleaner mouth, and I set the hook. The awa bolted and my poor little 6wt was doubled over with a 30lb beast. The awa took out line and made several long runs. I could not get the fish to jump, but did my best to keep it out of structure. The fish took off across the pond, and some locals who were cheering me on shouted, "hey da fish stay ova hea!"
I kept up the heat, got in some line, but he just took off again.
Finally I looked at my watch and saw it was 3:25pm, and my practice starts at 3:30pm. I pointed my rod at the fish, and held the spool firmly in my hand, I could feel every beat of his thickly forked tail, and then plop. the 15lb tippet broke.
I went off to practice, and the boys gave me gas for being late. I said, "hey I just gave up an IGFA record fish for you guys.'
I guess I am more a soccer fanatic than fish nut. Sometimes responsibilities suck. Mems.

David Lee
01-13-2006, 07:39 AM
Hmmmmmm ....... :shock:

Let's see , Awa is a Milkfish , right Don ?

Milkfish almost NEVER take the fly , right ?? :x

And ...... You BROKE IT OFF ON PURPOSE ?!?

Sorry , my friend - the kids have the rest of their lives to kick balls around . I probably would have let them move on to the next grade before I broke off a once in a lifetime Milkfish :evil: :P :P :P :P

Pity it didn't jump . Oh well , I'll pray for ya anyways :p

David