PDA

View Full Version : Fly line shelf life

SullyTM
01-12-2006, 09:14 AM
Is there a shelf life for a fly line? I have a 6 wt rig with a WF floating line that has 5+ years of use on it. It still floats :D I clean the line and store the reel when not it use. Not that I want to spend $$$ on a new line...Thanks. Thom

Adam Grace
01-12-2006, 09:35 AM
Some lines can last a while as long as they are stored in a temperate location, usually inside a home. If the line was wrapped around a small arbor it will retain memory and become much more coily than if it was wrapped around a large arbor or surface. The memory will most likely be the biggest issue. I have a bunch of demo lines that have been sitting around for a while which are still okay to fish with. They are not as supple as they were straight out of the box but they'll fish just fine. Bring in the line in question to Kiene's, the honest guys there will let you know if you should continue to fish the line or that you might want to replace it.

I've said this time after time......the most important component to any great fly fishing "rig" is the fly line! You can take a really cheap rod and reel, then match an appropriate (new age, slick, advanced tapered) fly line to the setup and it will feel awesome.

In the world of fly fishing gear, the fly line is the most important component besides the fly IMHO!

SullyTM
01-12-2006, 09:50 AM
Thanks Adam...I'll check the "coiling" of the line. The rig has been my workhorse for the past few years. The reel is beat to hell and the rod has seen its share of accicents, but it still is the "go to" rig. Thom

Jgoding
01-12-2006, 10:07 AM
I read a lot about cleaning lines and stuff but I swear that my brother still has his original fly line from when we started fishing aboout 20 years ago. It has travelled to most of the West and mid-western states and has never ever been cleaned or treated once. It has been the only line he's ever used and it still works alright. Maybe they just don't make them like they used too....

Jeff