PDA

View Full Version : San Felipe, Yucatan Baby Tarpon

rfors
01-11-2006, 11:23 AM
Just returned from a two week family vacation in the Yucatan. Determined to fish for Tarpon for the first time I brought my 9 weight along and found a guide in Rio Lagartos who took me out for five hours of fabulous fishing. Spent the night in the Pescaderos Hotel on the waterfront. A nice, clean room for only $35. Chino, my guide, picked me up in his panga in front of the hotel at 6am and we motored down the coast for twenty minutes to the mangroves west of San Felipe. There Chino poled me into the mouth of a mangrove hole and I immediately saw and heard Tarpon crashing on bait. Within minutes I was hooked up to a nice fish.
The action was pretty much constant for the rest of the morning as Chino took me from hole to hole. Altogether I hooked up with about 15 fish in the 10-15lb range but only brought one to the boat. No other boats were seen all morning
At around 11:30 we headed back to town. Chino and his English speaking partner Ismael originally asked for $150 for a half day fishing but were happy to accept the $80 that I offered. I strongly recommend this fishery and these guides to anyone seeking baby Tarpon fishing in the Yucatan. During the summer the big ones are in.
Ismael Navarro
www.riolagartos.com
riolagartos@hotmail.com
phone: 019868620000