PDA

View Full Version : Thread help

Bill Kiene semi-retired
01-11-2006, 06:54 AM
What brand/model/size threads do use most for tying trout flies?

Small, medium and large?

I am taking a little survey.

It as simple years ago, we just had Danville and Nymo.

Thanks

FoothillFlyFisher
01-11-2006, 07:47 AM
Bill

For Trout flies size 14 or larger I like Danville 6/0. Size 16 to 22 8/0 Danville.

I go down to 10/0 I believe for flies size 24 or smaller. I rarely tie smaller than 22 these days, or I'll end up crosseyed and dizzy after about an hour of tying. :shock:

StevenOjai
01-11-2006, 08:11 AM
Bill,
I tend to use Uni-Thread. It's a polyester material, comes in 3/0,6/0, and 8/0 sizes. Lots of colors and the labels seem to stay will glued to the spool. Also has a nice small slit to anchor the tag end.
Steve

FoothillFlyFisher
01-11-2006, 08:20 AM
Bill

For Trout flies size 14 or larger I like Danville 6/0. Size 16 to 22 8/0 Danville.

I go down to 10/0 I believe for flies size 24 or smaller. I rarely tie smaller than 22 these days, or I'll end up crosseyed and dizzy after about an hour of tying. :shock:

MSP
01-11-2006, 08:50 AM
UNI-Thread 6/0

SullyTM
01-11-2006, 09:39 AM
UNI 6/0 & 8/0....3/0 when I need to build up a head or body...

Jgoding
01-11-2006, 09:40 AM
Hi Bill,

I tie almost everything with Gordon Griffith's 14/0. It can lay flat, be split, has little build up and is relatively strong. It comes in a variety of colors but I mainly use white. For larger flies, if I need to, and spinning deer hair I'll use uni 8/0 or ultra fine mono. Spider web comes in handy too, I'd buy some if you have any in stock. Basically anything small but strong I like. I'd really like to bulk up on dyneema, power-silk, or any other of those ultra strong but small threads too if you're thinking about getting some.

Jeff

JD
01-11-2006, 11:31 AM
For big stuff, Danville 3/0. For trout/steelhead, I use Danville 6/0 down to size 16. For stuff 18 or smaller, I like Griffith's 14/0 or Benecchi 12/0, depending on what colors are available. For deer hair flies, Gudebrod GSP or kevlar works fine. For shad flies, I use monofilament thread (the UTC stuff you used to/hopefully still carry) and Danville 210.

I've got quite a collection of Unithread in 6/0 and 8/0 but I don't like how it builds up. Does come in a nice array of colors, however, so I do use it occassionally.

Haven't tried that UTC stuff yet, but picked up a couple of spools to see how well it works.

Hairstacker
01-11-2006, 11:49 AM
For trout flies, I use 6/0 for size 14 or so and bigger, 8/0 for flies down to size 20. I prefer Orvis but also use Danville and Uni-Thread depending on what I already own and variations in color. I like the Uni-Thread colors, but it seems to me this brand has more of a tendency to fray than the other two. Could be my imagination. . . .

PaulC
01-11-2006, 08:54 PM
I use Uni 6/0 and 8/0 for standard trout flies. Gudebrod 10/0 for the really small stuff. Never really embraced the Borger color system despite his book. I just eyeball the colors to match the pattern. The Gudebrod spools for the 10/0 are not very robust :( I'll have to try out some of the recommendations from above :) I tend to have more breakoffs with Danville, but thats probably just me going too fast.

What I've been using for the larger flies is either Danville fine monofilament for some patterns or the UTC 140 for colored thread patterns.The UTC 140 stuff is great for saltwater patterns. Strong thread, less breakoffs and loads of colors.

That power silk looks cool with the samples my friend gave me.
Do you guys use ceramic scissors on the kevlar thread? Thats what we use on all the kevlar thread at work for space stuff...kyocera makes one hell of a ceramic scissor. They're not too cheap tho but stay sharp for what seems like forever. I believe they have a smaller 1.5" size...
http://www.cutleryandmore.com/details.asp?SKU=777
-Paul

Darian
01-11-2006, 10:47 PM
Welllll,..... For Trout flies I use the same stuff in the same sizes the others use. For saltwater patterns, I use Danville size A black/white or Nymo.... 8) 8) I use some flosses for a few patterns. 8) I don't use anything pre-waxed unless nothing else is available. 8) 8)

I've been using clear Mono thread for some patterns but find it has very low tensile strength. :? Thus, it's aggravating to use..... :x :x

Jgoding
01-12-2006, 10:09 AM
I hear ya Darian, mono comes in handy as it disapears when you apply epoxy etc... but it does break rather easily and stretches like a b&^%$. But it gets the job done, that's what I say.

Jeff

Jgoding
01-12-2006, 10:16 AM
Hey Paul,

I haven't used the power silk yet or dyneema or some other thread I got that is on the same type. But I know they say use a ceramic bobbin only but I never thought about scissors. I guess I should try this stuff out and see if it's worth the $6 or so I paid per spool (power silk). I hear good things about that UTC tho, and that a lot of guys use it. I'll just use my Dr. Slicks to cut it so no big deal if they go dull since they're cheap except for the TC pair I bought.

Jeff

Darian
01-12-2006, 10:16 PM
For syntethics, I've been using a pair of Dr. Slick, serrated edge scissors. 8) 8) Gotta replace 'em soon. Even the serrations wear out if you cut a lot of syntethics.... :(

Otherwise I use a pair of standard and a pair of long, fine pointed scissors for all of the rest. 8) If I'm cutting a bunch of Kevlar, I use an Xacto knif blade rather than scissors.... :) :)

Adam Grace
01-13-2006, 12:29 AM
The ultra thread company (UTC) developed and owned by Wapsi, manufacters some nice thread. The U.S.P. thread is a gel spun thread just like power silk and similar threads; super strong, thin and pricey. The gel spun threads are nice and tough but not always necessary IMHO. I don't care for kevlar for deer hair flies, too strong, it cuts through spun deer hair too easy. Kevlar and gel spun threads are best when using tough synthetics when the synthetics need to be bound super tight to the fly to prevent spinning of the material. They are also nice if new tyers are constantly breaking thier thread.

One thing that I've observed about the really good fly tyers like Mike Mercer they use very thin to eliminate unnecessary bulk or buildup. They mastered how to control and appropriately adjust thread tension.

I like uni-thread for trout flies, both the 8/0 and 6/0, nice color selection. Slight waxing and good amount of twist.

I like the UTC 70 denier thread for trout flies. The 140 denier for streamers and steelhead. The 210 denier for striper/SW flies. Plus the colors are printed on the spools. The spools also tame the thread really well with the built-in holder at the end. The UTC threads are not as twisted as the Uni-thread and tend to fray or "slip" more than the Uni in some instances, but nice thread never the less.

Danville 6/0thread tended to break more on me, their spools suck and I never knew what colors were what, it's hard to duplicate thread color when following recipes. I love their flat waxed nylon thread, great for striper/SW and shad flies. Nice and strong great for large bass sized deer hair flies. The size A thread is also a nice big fly thread.

The correct thread can make fly tying more enjoyable.

Bob Scheidt
01-14-2006, 06:07 PM
I use Uni 8/0 for most trout flies. For Stimulators and Elk hair caddis I want something that I can lean on more to hold the hair in place, so I use Uni 6/0 for those. For humpies size 14 and larger I like mononcord 3/0. I like a flat thread for cover the body faster with thread. For smaller humpies I use Danville 6/0.

Bob

Jay Murakoshi
01-15-2006, 11:34 PM
Shad, striper, salt water flies------Size A nymo in Red, White and sometimes black.

Jay

Richard
01-18-2006, 10:03 PM
Mostly I am tying deer hair and I like Danville flat waxed nylon for that. I have some Kevlar, but find that I don't need it very often. There are a few spools of 3/0 I will use on a rare occasion. I also have a collection of Uni and Danville in 6/0 and 8/0 that I use when tying (what for me are) smaller flies and I tend to grab whatever spool looks like the right color. I don't use anything smaller than 8/0. I'm a warm water guy, if the fly is smaller than a size 18 I just buy it. :D

mike N
01-19-2006, 04:39 PM
Uni 6/0 most of the time.