PDA

View Full Version : Nymphing Lakes and Spring Creeks?

chemdoc
01-10-2006, 08:56 AM
With everything blown out, my buddy AndanB and I went to Baum Lake on Sunday for the first time. We saw one guy landing fish after fish and asked him for some advice. He suggested fishing a nymph about 3 ft under a small indicator, which we then used. It worked well, particularly for Andan, who landed 7 fish.

We were wondering if there are any general rules for fishing a lake like Baum, or Solano, which is very similar. Both are basically wide spots in creeks, not very deep with a slow current. From fishing in faster water and freestone streams we have learned to get the flies down on the bottom. "If you aren't down, you aren't fishing".

This doesn't seem practical for Baum or Solano, or for any slow moving water, as the flies would just stick on the bottom. Are there any general rules for these types of water? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

And for anyone heading to Baum, we caught all of the fish on size 16 flashback pt's and size 18 black zebras. No luck at all on woolly buggers, not even a strike. Although we had read reports that streamers were good on Baum, the local expert we talked to was not keen on them, and his and our results seem to support that opinion.

Phil

Darian
01-10-2006, 02:20 PM
Phil,..... I've had similar experiences while fishing slower, clear waters on many occassions. 8)

Almost all lakes I've fished have periods when only a nymph or other small fly fished under an indicator (float) will take fish. Even in Pyramid Lake (NV), one of the favored methods during the late spring is a Chartruese Copper John suspended under an indicator.... 8) 8)

I wouldn't give up on Streamers in those waters, tho. :) Each method has it's period during the season where streamers are the method of choice. 8) 8) For example, all of the really big fish I've seen and heard of taken at Solano Lake were on Buggers/Streamers. :D :D Hal Jannsen said that he used to fish Solano Lake with a Mickey Finn for some very big Rainbows. 8)

ycflyfisher
01-10-2006, 07:40 PM
Baum Lake can be a very interesting fishery. IMO, the key to fishing Baum is to pretend your fishing the flat water section of Hat Creek. Small indicators, taper down to 6x with a single tiny(like size 6 or 8 ) shot. In the winter, the biomass of the drift is dominated by baetis and midges. The bugs I use the most on Baum are PT's(sparse) in sizes 18-22 and a black thread body midge pupa in the same sizes. The key for me is the tiny split shot. There are some cali's in Baum but you don't usually start seeing them until March.

You can get fish on top in the winter as it warms up a bit mid-day.

Streamers can be effective on Baum. I've always done better with streamers(and everything else for that matter) from the bank or in Turtle Bay(seperate from the main lake) on a full floating line and 3x. Streamers seem to be more effective for me in winters where the brown trout population is up from the norm. My favorite streamers for Baum are Monroe leeches in sizes 10-12 2xl, in Olive, black and Olive Estaz. I've always caught more fish on the bugs than the streamers, but fishing the leeches on a floater is more exciting. When the Browns are up cruising the flats you can usually see their wakes coming towards your fly. Once you get Baum dialed in it can be an absolute fish factory.

Just out of curiosity was the guy you saw fishing with his dog?

Ed Wahl
01-11-2006, 06:31 AM
I fish with my dog but only for very large stripers :lol:

chemdoc
01-11-2006, 08:44 AM
We didn't see anyone with a dog that day. The fisherman who advised us was fishing from a pram and was a local who fishes Baum regularly.