PDA

View Full Version : Giant Snook in southern baja

jbird
01-08-2006, 06:53 PM
This is a report from this past week by Eric Bricston of Gordo Banks Pangas in San Jose del Cabo. If anyone is interested, there arent many snook down there but every now and then, Eric puts up a report like this one.

Anglers fishing off the beach have not had much to talk about of late, besides some early morning scattered action for sierra. The exception was Len Benko from B.C. Canada who has been a long time winter resident of San Jose de Cabo and reported an incredible personal best catch of a trophy-sized world class snook caught off the beach in front of Coral Baja Resort. He hooked into the monster at eight o’clock Thursday evening while using cut shrimp for bait, the fish was some 45 inches in length and estimated to weigh at least 45pounds.

This is the time of year when some real monsters are caught by the locals in the san jose river estuary. I havnt yet heard of one taken on a fly, but I seriously doubt theres any effort.

Jay

Darian
01-08-2006, 07:38 PM
WOW!!!!! 45 pounds :shock: :shock: Thassa somma Snooka....!!!!

Bill Kiene semi-retired
01-09-2006, 07:04 AM
I have heard overt the years where rivers come into the Sea of Cortez with an esturary there are some snook.

The big problem with snook is that they are very good eating so the locals, specially in the Caribbean, catch and eat most of them.

They are a very special game fish. They are very smart, particually the larger ones. A snook over 10 pounds on a fly is a good catch. Over 20 pounds is a real big deal on a fly. Early and late in the day and at night time is usually best for catching them on an artificial.

Jay Murakoshi
01-09-2006, 03:31 PM
Bill,

Just got home from the Denver Fly fishing show and was talking to a guy there who lives down there part time and in Colorado the rest of the time.
He was telling me about some esturaires by his house where there's snook. I'm might try it out this year when I'm down there.

Jay