PDA

View Full Version : John Gierach where do we start?

Eric Ryan
01-08-2006, 01:22 PM
Kathleen (my gal) is a big reader (I am not). She just read "Wade a Little Deeper, Dear" and "River Runs Through It and Other Essays". Now she wants more. I was told that John Gierach has some good stuff. Where do we start? and why? She says she likes the romanticized lore of fly fishing/nature. (I like the technical stuff like Hefele and Hughes, and of course all the rod makers.)

Sincerely,
Eric Ryan, Owner
Ryan Rod Co.
www.ryanrodco.com

bolden
01-08-2006, 01:58 PM
I have read every single john gierach book about 3 times a piece. any of his books are great to read.
The ones that pop into my head are Trout Bum, Even Brook Trout Get the Blues, and Sex, Death, and
Fly-Fishing. They are a great way to pass time when there is nowhere to fish.

Darian
01-08-2006, 07:29 PM
Hi Eric,..... If you like some different approaches to fly fishing lore, I'd recommend the books by Russell Chatham. 8) 8) There are three that I'm aware of.... The Anglers Coast, Dark Waters and Silent Seasons. There're others but they seem to be extracts from one of the three original books. :) :)

These books run the gamut from history to humor and include some technical stuff if you're reading carefully. 8) 8) I've read each several times and am jnot yet tired of them.... :lol: :lol:

TaylerW
01-08-2006, 08:21 PM
anything james prosek, fly fishing the 41st, joe and me, love and brook trout, trout of the world, ect.

aaron
01-08-2006, 10:23 PM
At the Grave of the Unkown Fisherman is a good place to start.

Hairstacker
01-09-2006, 12:32 AM
Yep, I've read all of Gierach's books as well, and he is hands down my favorite fly fishing author. I really like the essay format, and I'm continually drawn back to read certain favorites again and again. I think the titles Bolden mentioned are as good a place as any to start with, along with "The View from Rat Lake." Once you've read one, I think you'll feel compelled to read them all.

clif wright
01-09-2006, 07:39 AM
Some of my favorites:

"The Longest Silence" by Thomas McGuane
"Crosscurrents" by James Babb
"My Secret Fishing Life" by Nick Lyons

And of course you can start just about anywhere with Gierach, though if read in order, it's fun to trace the small changes in his fishing technique.

In that case start with "Trout Bum" ("Fishing the High Country" was, I believe, the first, but more technique than prose.)

Or the the collection, "Death, Taxes and Leaky Waders" will give you a good overview of Gierach.

Enjoy your armchair fishing,
Clif

jblack
01-09-2006, 10:07 AM
Also add

David James Duncan -- The River Why

Scott Waldie's --Travers Corners series

WD Wetherall --One River More

bolden
01-10-2006, 11:04 PM
i just got finished reading a book called "zipping my fly" by Rich Tosches. It was the funniest thing i have
ever read. i was constantly laughing out loud. the first few chapters are odd, but the further you go,
the funnier it gets.