PDA

View Full Version : Flows on the AR

smokeater
01-07-2006, 09:49 PM
Does anyone have any idea if the flows are actually starting to come down? I saw that they are down to about 20,000 cfm today.

flygolf
01-07-2006, 11:47 PM
They are coming down. I went out the last couple of days and about 12:00 pm yesterday they dropped pretty significantly. The banks are eroding up near the hatchery. If you go watch your step the bank will give way. The flows aren't so much the problem as much as the clarity of the water. Guys with roe are doing ok but it's been tough with the fly. I foul hooked a couple of salmon and did hook a nice buck steelie on a 3D had him close to the bank and it made a run for the fast water see ya... Another week of dropping water and I think it will be fine as long as we don't get any rain.

Terry Thomas
01-08-2006, 09:08 PM
Took a walk along the American today. The flows are lower, however, the water is still on the road going under the Watt Ave. bridge and the gate leading into the area is locked. There was even a guy standing under the bridge and fishing where we usually park!

Moose
01-09-2006, 05:36 AM
Even once the flows do drop I think it's going to be quite some time before there's any decent water clarity. Both lakes above are just big mud puddles, they look really horrible.

Eric Ryan
01-11-2006, 09:22 PM
I stopped by the Nimbus dam and noticed that the powers that be closed five out of ten of the gates this afternoon. The flows should be going down soon.

Eric Ryan, Owner
Ryan Rod Co.
www.ryanrodco.com

Jeff C.
01-12-2006, 09:23 AM
I noticed that the flow is down to 16K on the A. What's the clarity like? I'm planning on going out on Monday after I get back from snowboarding.

Jeff C.

Eric Ryan
01-12-2006, 09:03 PM
Fished the American this morning up-stream from the Fair Oaks Bridge. I keep hitting this area to learn it, and because it is free if you park on the Fair Oaks side of the river. I park my car on the road just before the foot bridge, and then pack my gear across the foot bridge and the river, and then up-stream via the bike trail. There is an island visible now from the bridge up-stream, and I usually try to fish either side of the island when possible. I have only caught two juvinile steelhead last fall, and of course am always learning. But I keep going back.

The water was still high, but goning down due to the fact of the five gate closure yesterday. The water was green/white, with signs of clearing. It was fast. I did not wade, and wore my emergency inflatible under my vest while fishing from shore.

A few personal beefs:

I hate (envy?) fishermen in power boats, churning their engines stationary in fast water (right in front of my shore fishing attempt).

I hate the fact that every single person either on foot or bicycle asks: Catch anything? Any luck? As if I ever ask them: are you enjoying your walk or bike ride?

I miss the solitude of my camp and MY trout stream...Soon enough. (grin)

Eric

ps. No steelhead caught, snagged, or seen. Not yet.
pps. Its down to 12500 tonight.