PDA

View Full Version : Striper Fly Swap?

TaylerW
01-07-2006, 06:40 PM
Hey,
I recently got really good at tying striper flies, mainly whistlers and clousers.http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c206/TaylerWells/Picture034.jpg
If anyone would like to join in and tie some for the upcoming season that would be great.
Thanks,
Tayler

Darian
01-07-2006, 10:24 PM
Hi Tyler,..... Are you sure you dont' want to reconsider the timing of your proposed swap :?: :?: Don't want to discourage you but it looks like yours will be held simultaneous to the Mayfly Swap.... :? :?

I like to tie Striper flies but I probably won't participate in two swaps at one time.... :(

TaylerW
01-07-2006, 11:03 PM
i just was throwin the idea out there, ifanyone had any time frame suggestions or any tips on how to manage one that would be great.
Thanks,
Tayler

Darian
01-08-2006, 09:53 AM
In general, the dates, number of participants and flies for a particular swap are the choice of the host/sponsor.... 8) 8)

As far as I know, there isn't any rule that says you couldn't conduct a swap at the same time another one is in progress.... 8) It just seems to me that you might limit the potential for a number of partcipants who would like to get in (....as in my case) :( :( .

Hairstacker
01-08-2006, 12:35 PM
Little Striper, the current "Mayfly Emerger" swap has its flies due by February 15. I would suggest you announce your "Striper Fly" swap during the week leading up to that day or on that date, with the sign-up period to end 10 days or so after your swap announcement (give a specific sign-up ending date). In your announcement post, keep a running tally of those who've signed up so far, like Steve is doing in the "Mayfly Emerger" swap. Also give a specific date when the flies will be due to you (no less than 2 weeks, no more than 4 weeks) after the sign-up period ends. Once the sign-up period ends, edit and specify in the original announcement post the exact number of flies each tier needs to submit, based on how many signed up. Some swap hosts ask that an extra fly be submitted to be given away to a good charity/cause. Lastly, private message each swap participant with the address where the flies are to be sent.

I think a "Striper Fly" swap will be a lot of fun, as it will be interesting to see everyone's favorites. You'll probably have several people sign up to tie Clousers, but I think it will still be fun, as we'll be able to see everyone's favorite variations.

I also think Darian is right, you will have MUCH better participation if you don't run it concurrently with another swap. Some folks like to focus on just one swap at a time because (i) a dozen well-tied flies is a lot for them, (ii) they know they'll procrastinate and don't want to scramble at the last minute for two swaps :shock: :shock: #-o, (iii) they want to really focus, study, experiment on one fly-type at a time, or (iv) like me, they fear they may have to tie at least a dozen flies to figure out how to tie their chosen pattern well and another 2 dozen to come up with a dozen or so that are presentable in public. :oops: :lol:

TaylerW
01-08-2006, 02:43 PM
that all sounds great, i will get it set down for mid february, and i have never done one before so i might need a little help.
Thanks For the Help,

Tayler

A.K.A. Little Striper

SullyTM
01-11-2006, 11:00 AM
Little Striper...I'll bite when it's time for the swap. Thom