PDA

View Full Version : Central Coast recommendations?

Wednesday Caster
01-06-2006, 12:07 AM
Will be going up to central coast (paso robles) for business Sunday-Tuesday. Have never fished the c. coastal rivers. Does anyone have any recommendation for SH waters (w/2 hrs)? Is any of the central coast streams fishable yet w/recent rains- looks like Sunday will be my only oppty. (according to regs.) C&R fishing is plan. Please pm if you don't want it broadcasted.
Thanks.

Wednesday Caster
01-07-2006, 11:28 PM
Well, looks like no one is willing to let out their secret pool on the central coast rivers.
Here's my sad story... I've fished 2 days (Thanksgiving/Friday following) since August- Partner's been ill and business has been a little hectic. Drove up to Gardnerville NV over the Christmas vacation (intending to fish AR) and my wife called the CA DWR to open the flood gates letting out 30,000cfs to keep me from leaving to go fish and instead visit with family. Then, I was planning to head out up to central coast tomorrow-03:dark but business appt was canceled Friday. Hoping to reschedule the trip in two weeks.
Man, I'm Jones'n for a fight with some fins. Can't even fish vicariously through you guys/gals report posts with all the rivers ripping.
So in the event I can re-schedule the meeting in two weeks, should I try the Big Sur River or Carmel River (or X points north hoping to keep it w/in 2 hours drive from Paso Robles)?
Thanks, Quinn

Chris Laskodi
01-08-2006, 12:18 AM
Hi,
I actually fished some of the central coast streams today. It was my first time, so it was more like exploring. I was hoping that it was going to be prime today with the significant drop in flows in the last week. Unfortunately, the water was still quite brown in about every one of the waters I checked out. I pretty much went from the San Lorenzo River north to Pescadero Creek, checking everything in between.

Today, a small storm moved in and when I arrived at these creeks the water had maybe 12" of visibility. Then it started raining, and the water muddied up. It happened real quick, so that was the end of that. I only fished for maybe about an hour or two because it was mainly an exploring trip for me. I did see a few fellow fly flingers and none had any luck. I did see what looked to be a coho in a fish trap managed by the NOAA and Monterey Bay Salmon and Trout Project. They had already counted 8 steelhead and a coho on this dinky creek.

The flows are still a bit too high right now. They need to be about half of what they are now. Or at least that was the case on the creeks I fished. I believe that water clarity is more of an issue than flow is however. If you do go, the weather needs to have been stable from about 3-5 days. These fisheries are also very hit or miss, and it seems like more luck than anything to get a fish. These streams have extremely tough access once you get away from the ocean, and there is honestly not that many fish so you need to move around a lot. Good Luck.

Chris

Wednesday Caster
01-08-2006, 12:31 AM
Chris,
Glad you had a chance to get out and do some exploring. Thanks for the reports. I'm hoping for some clear weather about a week before I get up there to explore too. So anyone try the Big Sur or Carmel?

Nip Hadlock
01-08-2006, 10:08 AM
WC;
You might try giving these guys a call...
http://www.centralcoastflyfishing.com/
I've never made it into their shop since the hours they are open and my visits to the region never quite match. :?
Good Luck,
Nip

PaulC
01-08-2006, 11:27 AM
WC,
Carmel river isn't too far away and does have a Steelhead run. Was seriously considering shooting out there this morning to check out how the flows have changed things, but the wife talked me out of it.
They have similar regs to the san lorenzo with fishing only on Wed, Sat & Sunday. You have to be careful further south as the steelhead runs become protected against fishing. As far as I know, the carmel river is the furthest southern point for legal steelhead fishing in California.
When they remove Matilija dam, we may have a chance at a healthy steelhead run in Ventura County, but thats quite a while off.

-Paul

Cruzin4Metalheads
01-08-2006, 06:19 PM
Regarding fishing on the coast near paso robles the two closest streams to fish are the Arroyo Seco and Big Sur. They are the two southern most legal streams to fish with runs big enough to consider fishable. The Arroyo Seco is a Tributary of the Salinas it does not have a ton of fish in the system...But if you time it right, you can be well rewarded. Very difficult to fish, and I would highly recommend fishing with a buddy.
The Big Sur, has many more fish, but the timing of fishing here is even more critical. This water becomes gin clear very quickly and the fish are very spooky regardless of water flow. A fish of 15lbs is not out of the question. Landing it straight out of the salt is a whole nother ball of wax! But like most rivers you kind of need to be in the know...Tides and certain cfs readings are helpful to know. The Carmel is getting much better the last ten years or so, and if they actually left more water in it during the summer it might actually be unbelievable again. I have seen some of the biggest fish short of the Smith come out of the Carmel. Probably a little over 41-42 inches. A must to hit it at the right time though.
I've fished them all. They are all fun, but just like the central valley rivers you need to fish each river a few times before you figure them out.
Myself I spent this weekend tied into 4 fish on the San Lorenzo and another smaller coastal stream. One about 6# the other 8# the others got the LDR.

Wednesday Caster
01-10-2006, 08:47 AM
Gents,
Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. The SL might be a little too far for a day trip for me. The Big Sur might be workable and since my trip is only Sun/Mon/Tue my only option is Sunday per regs.

"The Big Sur, has many more fish, but the timing of fishing here is even more critical. "
As a beggar, I can't be too choosy. The opportunity to wave a stick would be cake at this point. Catching a fish would be icing.
Thanks.
Quinn

Darian
01-10-2006, 02:33 PM
Quinn,.... If you're going to be at the Big Sur River on the 15th/16th, you should be able to fish, legally, both days. 8) 8)

Art. 2, sect. 7.00 (e) South Central District of the Regs says, in part, ".... but only on Sat., Sun., Wed., legal holidays...." If I'm not mistaken, the 16th is an official holiday for Martin Luther King Jr. That should allow you to fish on Sunday/Monday.... :D :D

Wednesday Caster
01-10-2006, 04:25 PM
Darian,
Always on the ball. Thanks for giving me an extra day to fish!!!!
Quinn

Cruzin4Metalheads
01-10-2006, 07:32 PM
Gentlemen,

Whoaaaa....Whatever you do make sure the fishing is legal to be doing. For most streams on the Central Coast you need to check with DFG regarding low flow closures even on legal fish days. Most of the good waters are tied to the flow of the Carmel being at either 80 or 100cfs I can't remember which.
The number to do this is 831-649-2886

Don't want anyone to get a nice surprise of DFG waiting for them in the parking lot!

Wednesday Caster
01-10-2006, 08:53 PM
Cruzin,
Thanks for the reminder and tele #. Yes I understand about the flow restrictions, dates et al. was looking for mainly insights that anyone would bestow on a newby for the area.
Thanks again.
Quinn

Cruzin4Metalheads
01-10-2006, 11:03 PM
Quinn,

Re: Big Sur...First things first. check the tides. There will be fresh fish all the way through the fishable territory within an hour or so of high tide. If the flows are anything less than 300cfs the river will be gin clear regardless of when it last rained.
If this is the case you might get away with swinging a purple peril, giant killer, deschutes, or anything pink for about the first hour. once the sun comes up a bit I would suggest switching to more of a standard indicator setup. Try a really small(size 16 light orange) egg pattern, zebra, prince, or anything caddis related. The smaller the better.
I wouldn't use anything more than 3# tippet. A little color to the river you could get away with 5#, but that's it. Fish what you would consider typical holding water, if you can find a undercut bank, swing a fly under it!
You wouldn't believe the size of some fish I've seen in the smallest undercut little banks...
Watch your step and enjoy the scenery!
FYI... I didn't hook my first adult on this river until my fifth trip. But it's still worth the drive.

Wednesday Caster
01-11-2006, 10:47 AM
Cruzin,
Hey thanks so much for your insight and recommendations on the BSR. I have had to reschedule my business again so I wont make it next week-2 FF days lost :mad: . Was very surprise of your comments of how challenging this river is but I have been much more successful on smaller waters than larger ones such as the AR (0:5 outings :oops: ). Hopefully my luck holds with a smaller river like the BSR and I get to use your notes within a couple of weeks. Driven by the Big Sur area only twice in 10+ years and can't wait to check out the area again.
Thanks,
Quinn

Sin Coast
01-17-2006, 05:13 PM
Hello Everybody,
New member here, posting because I might be able to help answer some of your Central Coast questions.
First off, WC, if you are going to be in Paso Robles-----the Big Sur is a L-O-N-G drive. You would have to cut across the coast range by way of Nacimiento-Ferguson Road, which winds its way through Fort Hunter-Liggett. You will need to get a pass just to drive through the fort---so bring your proof of insurance and registration and valid license. This is the only way to get across to the ocean from Paso. Otherwise you'll need to drive all the way up to Salinas or back down to SLO. If you're ever in this area during trout season, it might be worth your time to try the San Antonio River, Nacimiento River, upper reaches of Arroyo Seco, or any one of the 40 lakes on the fort though. Upper reaches of the Arroyo Seco have incredibly large, feisty fish(most likely because they are decendants or offspring of the native steelhead in this watershed---talk about survival of the fittest!).
Enough ranting...I would hit the Arroyo Seco or the Salinas River if I was stuck in Paso Robles and wanted to catch steelhead. A good spot to start on the Seco might be below the green bridge (off side road about 2 miles before park entrance but visible from road) or just upstream of the park entrance. Remember, NO Fishing within 200 feet of the fish ladder (near green bridge). Warden Barry is forever lurking in the bushes. I think its 200 feet? Maybe more?
I have done most of my fishing here (Seco) during trout season when you must hike 3.5 miles upstream in 100 degree weather to reach legal, fishable water. But I always catch some nice fish. I might try to hit the Seco this upcoming wknd if the Carmel drops below the necessary 80 CFS (831-649-2886), which seems likely.
I've been doing really well on the Carmel this year. There are a lot of half-pounders in the system compared to the last 5 or 6 years. However, no bigguns ... yet ...!
If you make it back up to Paso, drop me a PM and I'll share some more good spots or try to meet up on the river. Aww, what the heck, Open invite to anyone interested in fishing down here!
Good luck,
PK

Cruzin4Metalheads
01-17-2006, 09:15 PM
Sin,

sounds like we might be able to help each other out a bit.
I have fished the north side of the central coast extensively (Pajaro-Corralitos-Aptos-Soquel-SLR-Scott-Pescadero) for about 20 years. Where I may have fished the Aroyo, Carmel, Big Sur a couple times each year during the same span. Sounds like you might be the other way around.
A helpful resource for each person I would say.

I haven't looked to see if the Salinas opened after the last big rains. Did it?

Wednesday Caster
01-17-2006, 09:32 PM
Sin Coast,
Firstly, a warm welcome to this GREAT board. I figure myself a newby being this is my 3rd year into FF. Been spanked by more rivers than I care to admit but its info like yours and Cruzin4Metalheads (and all the other BB members that post) that help to heal my ego as I increase my knowledge of this wonderful sport. Between you two, it looks like we've now gotten the central coast wired for us wayward fishers.
Thanks guys.
Quinn

Sin Coast
01-18-2006, 10:34 AM
Thanks for the warm welcome guys!
Yes, the Salinas River is open. At least, it was opened up by all the rain around New Years. I actually walk to the river mouth from my house. There is a dirt road that takes you out towards the ocean and river off of the Del Monte overpass in Marina but it gets real muddy after rains so sometimes I'll walk instead of giving my truck a mudbath! I wouldn't be surprised if the sandbar has closed it off again though.
I'm not sure how long it would take a steelhead to swim all the way up to the park headquarters on the Arroyo Seco but I'd guess it would take more than a couple days. I bet the best time to fish the Arroyo Seco would be a week after a big rain.
BTW, I caught some nice barred surf perch very close to the Salinas river mouth last time out, around January 4th. I've heard of people catching stripers near the river mouth when big rains wash debris and food out to sea. I chucked a hair raiser for a while before switching over to a sand crab type pattern(on spinning gear---didn't bring the whip).

Cruzin, I have some experience fishing the other rivers you mentioned---Pajaro, Scott, Soquel, San Lo, Uvas---but I wish I had time to explore them all. I grew up in Gilroy fishing Uvas Creek and I have seen many a steelhead in there. And I've heard plenty of stories about how good the Pajaro was in the past. My friend's step-dad has pictures of him with some 15 lb steelhead on the Pajaro 30 years ago! So I would love to find a good spot or two on the Pajaro.
Last season, I spent a lot of time on the San Lorenzo. I'm getting to know some good spots and techniques but still haven't actually landed a biggun---although I've hooked a few. I usually fish down in the canyon.

All this talk makes me really want to go steelhead fishing! Too bad I'm stuck at work. I'm definitely going out this wknd. I'll be sure to post a report on Monday.

PK

Cruzin4Metalheads
01-18-2006, 11:19 PM
Sin

Thanks for the info on the Salinas. Yeah I think you're about right on the timing of those fish getting to the Arroyo and being fishable.

About the Pajaro...I remember my grandfather telling me stories about that river and how they used to catch 10-15 lb fish literally all year long even while trout fishing in the summer. A real shame what the main river turned into... a big muddy mess. DFG should really do something about it. At least some of the tribs are still okay, Uvas, Tar Creek, and the rest. I've seen some monsters in both of those tribs come late season.
Re the San Lorenzo I know where you are talking about. It is pretty money in terms of kicking out fish. Fish the areas others don't...Nine out of ten people walk right past the productive slots.

The SLR should be PRIME this weekend...I can't wait to get at em

Sin Coast
01-24-2006, 12:04 PM
Hello again,
I have a report for the Carmel and Salinas Rivers from this past wknd. I fished the Salinas and Carmel on Saturday then the Carmel again on Sunday.
First the Salinas River---I decided to try the Salinas River for once. Checked the river mouth/estuary but struck out. Then I drove up to the HWY 1 bridge and fished around the bridge pilings. There are three bridges there (HWY 1, Green road bridge, and railroad bridge) so there are plenty of good looking holding spots. The water was a little too murky for flies so I ended up using spinning gear---blue foxes and kastmasters.
It was weird fishing down there---I ran into two duck hunters who asked where the launch ramp was located and one guy pulled over onto the shoulder of HWY 1 to yell down and ask what I was fishing for...
However, the most interesting part of my Salinas River jaunt was the strange fish that exploded on my kastmaster. I was reeling my line in rather quick, causing the lure to skip across the surface when a fish blew up on it about 20 feet away from me! And it wasn't a steelhead or trout. It made a distinctly flat slapping sound when it jumped---like a LMB or striper. I'm guessing it was either a striper, squawfish, or LMB. It was surprising, to say the least! After talking with some knowledgeable locals, I think it may have ben a striper. Apparently, people used to catch stripers near the bridges all the time. One guy told me that you run the gammet of fish when you try the Salinas River---salmon, trout, steelhead, stripers, squaws, largemouths, white bass, sturgeon, or flatfishes. I did a little investigating online and I doubt that there are sturgeon anymore but the fish-counting records did reveal that all of the above once resided in the watershed. There was even record of white bass--which I guess made it down from Nacimiento or maybe they were hybrids? Those things would ruin the fishery if they found a way to propogate )-:
Long story short--I got skunked on the Salinas.
Off to the Carmel River mouth to hit it during high tide. There were a couple anglers working the estuary so I headed upstream after talking with a few locals. One guy was watching a steelhead get acclimated to the fresh water from up on the bluff (good spot to fishwatch). I briefly hooked a 14 incher. The sun was setting quick so I headed back downstream, making quick short casts to a few spots but was in a hurry to get back to my truck before dark. Big mistake! As I got back to the estuary I saw the guy on the bluff again and he said that the steelhead had just begun his charge upriver and "it was about 8-10 lbs because its back stuck out of the water about 3 inches when it passed through a shallow spot." I thought about running back upstream to try to cast to him/her but remembered passing two guys walking upstream and didn't want to crowd them (small river and low water) so I stuck around, talking to the nice gent on the bluff, when he says "Wow! They just hooked it! Its jumping." I looked upstream in their direction but I couldn't really see much because I didn't have my glasses on. Thats when I realized my mistake. I should've worked the good holes again on my way back down. Oh well. Next time!
I went out to the Carmel again Sunday with two buddies. We were intent on fidining a way to this great looking hole we found using the Google Earth program. Well, we got there and it was an awesome looking spot but we got skunked. Then one friend ruined the hole altogether when he swam across to unsnag his lure. Then it was so hot that the other guy stripped down to his shorts and jumped in too. I started calling them the Brokeback River Boys and they climbed outta there pretty fast! Funny scene. Many fly and lure sacrafices were made for the tree and brush gods. We spent more time exploring new spots than actually fishing but it was a beautiful day and we had a great time. I can't wait to hit those spots after some good rain---like this wknd hopefully.
So thats my fishing report---not much catching but full of adventure...and promise for the next trip.
Good luck,
PK

ps--I apologize for hijacking this thread. Maybe I should start a new thread under Salmon/Steelhead.

Wednesday Caster
01-24-2006, 12:44 PM
Wow it's always great to see reports of fish (to hand or not). Now I'm really currious and working hard to get up there for "business" reasons.
Glad to hear you had a good time barring the friends you had tag along :twisted: .
Quinn

Darian
01-24-2006, 01:25 PM
Hey PK,.... your report reminds of many trips I made to any number of streams from SF southward. Lotsa good adventures/memories. 8) :)

Thanks.... :D :D :D

Adam Grace
01-24-2006, 07:28 PM
Sin Coast, I love your avitar picture. Peter Griffin rocks!

Family Guy is one of my favorite adult cartoons, right up there with South Park.

Who else on thise board likes family guy?

Cruzin4Metalheads
01-25-2006, 12:14 AM
Sin,

If we don't get much rain thursday the SLR should be good again this weekend, I would recommend if the Carmel is to low/clear. I think it should be worth a shot at least saturday. Landed a couple fish this past weekend 4 & 12lb, nice chromers...Also had a couple LDR's.
The fish have finally arrived on the coast in decent size/numbers...it's about time!!!

Darian
01-25-2006, 01:01 PM
Hey Adam,..... How do you get time to watch TV :?: :?: You're supposed to be studying!!!!....

I can't say I've ever watched Family Guy but I do watch South Park (on occassion :roll: :roll: ) Kartman, Kyle and the guys're drawn kinda strange but bring out my weird side.... :evil: :lol: :lol: :lol: