PDA

View Full Version : Loligo Opalescens....???!!!!!

Darian
01-03-2006, 10:44 PM
OK guys,.... For some time now I've been trying to figure out what's wrong (in my perception of "things" :roll: ) with Squid patterns.... :? :? While growing up in SoCal, I had the chance to use Squid for bait on live bait trips and have a good idea what they're supposed to look like. 8) I've been feeling that the proportions of most patterns were incorrect. :? On virtually all of the patterns I've seen, the tentacles are at least 2/3 of the overall length of the Squid. :?

After reviewing photos and reading materials on at least three types of cephalopods, I think I might be right. 8) Sketches of the "market Squid" (Loligo Opalescens) shows the tentacles are no longer than 1/3 of the overall length of the Squid in question 8) (....feeding arms are not prominent in the photo's). Also, during spawning, the tentacles are a shade of purple while the body remains pearlescent. 8) The significance of this is that The "market Squid is mainly available during spawning season. 8)

Of all of the photo's (long distance or close up) reviewed, the eye was the most prominent feature. 8) 8) Fins appear transluscent.... 8)

Since we're all rained out, gonna have to get busy and design a new Squid Pattern..... :) :)

Tony Buzolich
01-04-2006, 07:02 AM
Hey Darian,

Sounds like you need to develop some Calamari Fritti with a nice Aeoli sause. :P How about Calamari Dore' or a :nod: Marinara?

TONY

sculpin
01-04-2006, 08:38 AM
Darian it will be interesting to see what you come up with for a pattern.
Here is an easy pattern for a starter,maybe you have seen it already.

http://www.aswf.org/saltwater_flies_for_web/steve_farrar/squid_fly/squid_fly.html

Darian
01-04-2006, 10:27 AM
Hey Tony,.... I've had some deep fried Calamari with an aoli at my favorite Japanese restaurant and some Thai, Squid salad, also..... 8) The Thai salad has a some lemon grass, cilantro, galang root and peppers with a very spicy vinagrette on it. MMM,MMM..... 8) 8) Even the salad keeps ya warm on a cold day (if you get my drift....) :shock:

Sculpin,.... That's a great site. :D I notice the tiers observations about Squid are similar to my own (....great minds and all that :lol: ). Good looking pattern, too. :) Since I recently put a deposit on a trip with Jay M. to La Paz, I'll be tying up a bunch of those (....maybe some minor modifications). Wonder about the durability of the Ostrich herl for the tentacles, tho. :? :?

sculpin
01-04-2006, 04:12 PM
Darian I have tied up a few of the squid flies shown on the site but have never fished them. It does seem like the ostrich herl would be a weak point though.
When are you headed to La Paz? Jbird ,Bubzilla and I will be there the end of June.

Mark

Darian
01-04-2006, 04:36 PM
Hey Mark,.... the date I chose for our trip begins on 6/2.... 8) Most of the openings on earlier dates were already taken. :? I think the fishing just gets better as the summer roles on, tho. 8) It's probably a little hotter (air temps) as June comes on.... I'm hoping to catch a Rooster Like Jay's.... :shock:

I'm curious about using EMU Herl for the tentacles. :? Altho, they appear much thicker and may not have the same action in the water as Ostrich Herl.... Sumthin' to think about.... 8) 8)

sculpin
01-04-2006, 06:14 PM
Darian I think your hope for a big Rooster will probably happen. From what I understand you will be there at a great time for them and fairly good weather. We will be there 20th to the 29th the weather will be hotter and hopefully we will be able to get into Roosters as well as offshore fish. It's all a crap shoot though . Jbird and I hit the East Cape last June and it was a waste land, no Sardina anywhere. La Pas was doing well though. We actually went all the way to Cerralvo from the East Cape in a Panga to get sardinas . I hope conditions aren't reversed this year.

Mark

Darian
01-05-2006, 12:09 AM
Hey Mark, I sure hope you're right about the big Rooster.... I'd settle for a 30 pounder, tho.... :lol: :lol:

I was following Gary Graham's reports on the lack of Sardina's at East Cape.... :? That was the motivation for developing a good Squid pattern. 8) Another good looking pattern for that area is the Rasta. A fly developed by one of Graham's guides for targeting Roosters. 8) It looks more like a mullet. 8) 8)

I talked to a couple of guys who used Mullet and Humboldt Squid chunks down there.... They still had some luck but not as good as in years past..... :?

Wonder of the lack of Sardina's is due to over fishing or some environmental situation :? :?: :?:

sculpin
01-05-2006, 08:34 PM
Darian
From what I'd heard there was a slug of cold water that got drawn into the East Cape and trapped which caused the Sardina problem last year on the East Cape. Off shore for Marlin was fantastic, but I don't like marlin fishing much and the Dorado were a no show like the Sardinas. This year will be better I hope.We're going to drop by the East Cape for a few days on our way up to La Paz to get warmed up for the main event.

Mark

Darian
01-06-2006, 12:25 AM
Mark,..... The area where Jay does his stuff is Las Arenas de La Ventana.... East of La Paz..... Still plenty of time to prepare but I promise to get you guys a report before you leave for your trip.... Plus, Jay'll undoubtedly keep everyone informed like he did last year. 8)

I can feel the grab already..... :D Screamin' reels and fishy smells. 8) Lotsa good food,.... 8) 8) Damn, I'm there already. :D :D :D

sculpin
01-06-2006, 09:12 AM
Darian
Las Areanas de La Ventana is where we will be fishing out of on the La Paz part of our trip . It should be a good trip that will hopefully leave us with a bunch of torn up fly gear.

Mark

Darian
01-26-2006, 11:05 PM
Found a new Squid pattern on Gary Bulla's site; Kyungs Live squid. 8) 8) It's tied using a tandem hook set-up (not sure I'm down with that, tho :? ). Tandem's seem to me to be for trolling as opposed to casting.... :?

Anyway, the mantle of this pattern uses cross-cut rappit strips to create a livley body and the proportions seem better than most. 8) 8)

Still working on my own version.... :roll: :roll: :roll: