PDA

View Full Version : fly dryers

PaulC
01-02-2006, 03:27 PM
Hey guys,
I'm starting to mess around more with epoxy head and body flies in larger numbers and have been thinking of purchasing a rotary dryer. What do you guys use and have been happy with? What are your thoughts on cordless and portability?
Thanks for the tips in advance.
-Paul

Jay Murakoshi
01-02-2006, 09:34 PM
Paul,

I've been using a portable fly dryer for a number of years. It's made my Flexcoat and runs on a big square 9v battery. I purchased the dryer at Kiene's, yep the same shop that sponser's this board.
At home, I have a dryer that has 6 - 14" foam wheels. I can dry around 4 or 5 dozen flies at one time.
I've seen a few other advertised but haven't tried them out

Jay

PaulC
01-02-2006, 10:07 PM
Hey Jay,
I was looking at the battery one by flex coat. That's the one with the foam wheel right & alligator clips on pins? I'll have to drop a line to Bill's shop.
Thanks for the info.
-Paul

PS. Did you get a projector yet? Sorry I lag on info on the one we have at work. Things have been nuts there. I'll try an make a point of checking out brand/model and pick our IT guy's brain if you're still lookin.

Jay Murakoshi
01-04-2006, 05:46 PM
Paul,

The one I have has a solid hard foam wheel about 4" in diameter. they might have a new upgraded model out. It looks like one of those plastic flashlights that you use for camping. I thought Bill had one on the shelf last time I was in the store

I still haven't found a projector but I noticed that Costco had a Sharp which has a 2,000 lumens and a Epson with 1600 lumens. I was told to find something with a minimum of 1600 lumens

Jay

Brad Blancett
01-07-2006, 08:41 PM
Paul,

I've been using a portable fly dryer for a number of years. It's made my Flexcoat and runs on a big square 9v battery. I purchased the dryer at Kiene's, yep the same shop that sponser's this board.
At home, I have a dryer that has 6 - 14" foam wheels. I can dry around 4 or 5 dozen flies at one time.
I've seen a few other advertised but haven't tried them out

Jay

Jay I have been looking for a while for the same dryer you have and they no longer exist But they do have a New Battery unit runs on 4 AA's

Jay Murakoshi
01-10-2006, 07:05 PM
Brad/Paul,

I just checked out the flex coat site. I guess I have an antique.
If I were to purchase a new drier, I would get the cordless with the 3" wheel. When drying heads, especially on flies like the sea habit, you want to place the fly into the narrow part of the wheel. If you rotate the fly like in their photo's, you could end up with a marble headed fly.
I hope they have replacement wheels, my wheel is getting pretty chewed up.

Jay

Adam Grace
01-10-2006, 09:17 PM
Here's a picture of my flex coat battery operated dryer. I like it. It takes up less space compared to the flashlight dryers.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v238/flyguyag/IMGP0011.jpg

Brad Blancett
01-10-2006, 10:23 PM
Thanks Jay !

I'll order the 3 in model tomorrow if Marriott's does not have it in stock.

I am still using the old AC with the foam insert model I just glued hypalon to the rigid wheel about 5.25 in dia. works for Epoxy not well for Loon Hard Head .

Brad