PDA

View Full Version : hey mems

PaulC
12-31-2005, 11:29 PM
My good friend is heading out to kauai in a week or so for some fishing/vacation. I know some good spots but its been a couple years since I've been out there. Any fly outfits out there nowadays? Any recommendations on hot spots/flies? Any ideas on the best way to get a freshwater license out there? I coudn't find one for the life of me the last time I was there.
I was usually doing good with basic baitfish/crustacean patterns but figured I'd tye up a few goto patterns for him if you have any recommentations. Otherwise I guess I'll be tying clousers, merkins, gotchas, and EP baitfish patterns along with the basic socal surf patterns.
Any info is always mucho appreciated.
-Paul

mems
01-01-2006, 03:27 PM
Aloha, I hope some of this helps. Guides, try Nervous Waters on Oahu, or Ollie at shorline adventures. Ollie will travel to Kauai to show him around. Freshwater liscense, I get mine as Salt Pond Store. Trout season is the first two weeks in August, but there are some trout still up in the streams and ditches of Kokee. I would just practice catch and release if you go for them. There are some freshwater ponds that have peacock and largemouth bass. You can book a day on the ponds. Off-shore there are some charters, but no one really specializes in fly-fishing. Still you can bring a 10wt and some poppers and have fun at the bouys for small ahi and aku (tunas).
In-shore, I would hit Polihale beach. There are papio, bonefish, and moi all over. You don't need a liscense for saltwater fishing. I would use an 8wt. Maybe overline if it is windy. I like a clear sinking intermediate, but a floating line will help him stay out of the rocks. He can fish almost any beach from hanalei to poipu. Cast a clouser to structure and strip back. Speed up if he is chased. I also use charlies and gotchas in the surf and in the sand. This morning I got a bunch of aholehole and 4 nenue.
Tell him to get a pair of tabis, watch the waves and be careful. If he needs more help just e-mail me. kickithiolo@yahoo.com. Mems.

PaulC
01-02-2006, 03:29 PM
Aloha mems. Thanks for the tips, I'll pass those along to my buddy. I'm sure he'll appreciate it.
I wish I was going with this bout of rain slamming us down here now.
Plenty of time to restock the boxes at least.
Welp...back to the vise.
-Paul

mems
01-03-2006, 12:58 PM
Aloha Paul, glad I could help. Tie him up some clousers. Yellow and white are color patterns to mimick the baby goat fish, oama. We use a lot of black on our island because the fish love to eat gobis. Blue and white match for the nehu, minnows. I also like a black and white half and half to mimick the sardines that school in shore. The crab patterns are't very good over here, but a small ika, or baby squid or octopus work pretty well. The charlies and gotchas should be in tan, pink and pearl to match the shrimp. I can sympathize with the rain. I live in Hilo the wettest city in America. However he haven't had rain for over a month and it has been just gorgeous here lately. Tell your friend good luck, and don't get too frustrated. Don.