PDA

View Full Version : Pyrmid Lake Rainbow

andanb
12-30-2005, 11:38 PM
I fished Pyrmid with a friend on Thurs. and Fri. Had a great time weather was good Thurs. We each caught a half dozen 20-23" Very pretty fish and we were fishin not cooling our heels at home wishin we were fishin. Fri. this storm moved in and we got completely blown off the lake but not before I caught 5 and LDRed two more. My friend landed three including a beautiful 27" cut.

One of the fish I caught on Fri. was a rainbow...I know some of you might say that a young cut might look like a rainbow but I know for certain this fish was a rainbow. I even put my finger in his mouth and felt his teeth. It might have come from the Truckee. It was 18" long and I was tempted to keep it for proof. I took a picture that my friend will develop some time this century...maybe!

Darian
12-31-2005, 12:32 AM
Hmmmm,.... A Rainbow.... From Pyramid Lake.... In Nevada :?: :?: I've heard of and seen Cuttbows (Rainbow/Cutthroat hybrids) but never a Rainbow.... :? :? I suppose one could've washed into Pyramid from the Truckee, tho.... :? It's been many years since the Paiutes took over from the State of Nevada who regulary stocked the cuttbows.... 8)

If you catch any Rainbows or Cuttbows in the future, I'd bet the hatchery personnel would like you to keep 'em. 8) They're trying to re-establish a purely Lahontan Cutthroat fishery up there..... :D :D

andanb
12-31-2005, 11:43 AM
I know the Piutes don't stock anything or let anything breed except for cutts, but this fish was a rainbow no cuts (orange marks) under the jaw...short rainbow nose and jaw...lack of spots the cutts have...green back with rainbow spots...chrome sides...teeth or lack there of (tested with my fingers to make sure) any cut 18" would have a set of choppers.

I agree it must have come in the Truckee b/c they can't spawn in Pyrmid...the Piutes won't let them (good :D b/c I love that trophy cutthroat fishery!)