PDA

View Full Version : Travelling to Sacremento 12-30 - 1/4/06

JMC
12-29-2005, 03:09 PM
I'm traveling to Sacremento from 12/30 to 1/4/06 and was wondering if Nimbus Dam would be a good area to fish and was wondering how the current fishing conditions were. I'm comming from Phx, AZ and have been fly fishing for about ten years, believe it or not AZ has some great fly fishing oppertunities for Apachie Trout, Browns and Bow's. I fish Lake Powell, Lees Ferry and the San Juan as well. I'm posting a photo of a Brown from Chevelon Lake in Heber, AZ. Any info would be great. Tight Lines... Jeff

http://static.flickr.com/20/69825162_72570c6b2c.jpg?v=0

FoothillFlyFisher
12-29-2005, 04:44 PM
Better look else where during your visit to Northern Cal. to fish. The American River is way too "High" for fishing at this time, currently running about 35,000 cfs. Don't feel bad, I've got the next five day's off and had hoped to fish, I too am looking else where to fish. You might try Putah Creek if you don't mind a short drive from Sacramento. I'd call Kiene's when you get into the area, it may also be blow out by then. Good luck, and enjoy your stay here in "Sunny California". :(

nightgoat
12-29-2005, 04:45 PM
Hey Jeff, welcome to the board.

The way the rivers look now, I doubt if any will be fishable by the 4th. The American (which comes out of Nimbus) is currently running at 35k cfs. This is over 10 times "normal" flows. All the other local rivers are about the same. And it's supposed to rain all weekend. You may be able to hit some local lakes but I'm not sure how they look right now.

nightgoat
12-29-2005, 04:46 PM
Looks like the other guys beat me to it.... :D

JMC
12-29-2005, 05:22 PM
Thanks for the info, I'm thinking I'll leave the gear at home and just plan a nice visit with the in laws :roll: I usually travel with my wife to visit her parents about twice a year and usually leave the gear behind, but from reading some reports here in AZ on the Trinnity and American river to name a few seems like I should be making more time to fish some of the water ways or rivers in CA. Her Grandparents live up twoards Redding and indeed I'm waitting for a trip there here in the near future. Thanks again Jeff

sculpin
12-29-2005, 08:58 PM
Dang Jeff, if I was going to visit my inlaws I could fish in a drainage ditch in a hurricane and have more fun than hanging around visiting. :D Of course a guy could rack up some good points with the wife to cash in on later I guess.

Mark