PDA

View Full Version : Feather River Report

Tony Buzolich
12-28-2005, 05:38 PM
Well, the clouds parted and the sun came out (briefly) and I just had to go see how things were in my favorite section of river.

Grabbed a #7 weight, tied on a large Popscicle and headed for Oroville.

There are plenty of steelhead in the river and still quite a few salmon digging redds the last time I was there.

Crossed over the river at Gridley and though running high, it looked green. Great, now if the low flow looks the same I'll be in the money.

At first sight from Hwy.70 I couldn't believe my eyes. I had just past Mathews heading north and the "lowflow" was no longer a low flow. The river had risen over the normal banks and covered the pond next to the Hwy.162 bridge.

No fishing here for a while and definitely not for the opener of the upper river above the Hwy.70 bridge.

My wife suggested we go see what's happening at the hatchery and the dam there. Maybe we could see some steelhead going up the ladder and look in the viewing window?

When we got there, Dept. Of Water Resource people had just taken down the railing around the viewing platform and had cordoned off the walkways leading down to the observation area.

The water coming over the dam at the hatchery normally has a 12'-15' vertical drop preventing the salmon from going upstream any further. Today, there is no vertical drop at all, just a solid wall of water between the buttresses.

The lowflow usually fishes best when the water is between 650-700cfs. This is what most of us are used to when we fish this part of the river. Today, around 1:00pm the lowflow is running at 13,000cfs.

I spoke with a few of the Water Resource workers and they said they expected the river to go even higher by Friday.

The pictures hardly do it justice. All of the islands below the Table Mtn. bridge and in front of the kiosk are already under water.

Guess we'll just have to wait and see but for now, Forget the Lowflow.
TONY
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b320/buzolich/DiversionDam2.jpg
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b320/buzolich/DiversionDam1.jpg

Adam Grace
12-28-2005, 11:11 PM
Great pictures Tony!

Too bad the fishing below the 70 bridge is ruined for now, but at least the steelies will get a little rest from the barrage of fishermen. I always feel bad about steelhead getting bothered in spawning areas containing redds. If the fishermen is fishing holding water which steelies do not spawn in I feel is fair game.

Now I know just how much water is flowing through the river. Great pictures.

Thanks for the info Tony!

DonCooksey
01-09-2006, 10:41 AM
How do you find the stream flow data for the Low Flow section of the Feather?

Adam Grace
01-09-2006, 03:12 PM
Call this pre-recorded message and listen for the flows: 530/534-2307

The low flow section is at 600 cfs today.

DonCooksey
01-09-2006, 09:38 PM
Thanks Adam,

I just flew up to the area tonight for some meetings the next couple of days and was hoping to fish the Yuba tomorrow morning, but the flows are still close to 7,000 CFS there. The Feather might be a better choice now. I guess I'll decide by the time I get up to Marysville.

DonCooksey
01-12-2006, 08:01 PM
The low flow section of the Feather was certainly wadable on 1/10, but it was really muddy. Visibility was about 1 ft at best. Only managed a small steelie at 12" on a fox poopah. Everything was muddy, and there was a lot of debris up to 15-20 feet up into the trees along the river. The flows must have been pretty incredible in there. It was a bit smelly too; not a really nice scene. I only fished there for a couple of hours at first light and then headed for the Yuba (post and pics under the Steelhead section). Fishing was not any better there, but it smelled a lot better.