PDA

View Full Version : Bristol Bay, Alaska

Nip Hadlock
12-27-2005, 10:12 AM
Hey Guys;
I'm thinking about a trip to the Bristol Bay region of Alaska in June.
I'm hoping I can benefit from the vast experience on this board...
Anyone been? Can you recommend a lodge, river, guide?
Thanks!
Nip

alaskanfish
12-27-2005, 10:51 AM
What are you looking for? What area specifically? What species? Still water or river/creek? Fly out, boat, or float? Crowds or solitude?

The Bristol Bay area has so much water and so many options, it is difficult to recommend anything specific without an idea of what you are seeking.

Do you want to spend your whole trip in Bristol Bay or break it up across other areas of Alaska?

With answers to the questions above I'll get you some recommendations.

Nip Hadlock
12-27-2005, 11:23 AM
Alaskanfish;
Thanks for the feedback.
Mostly we'd like to stick around that region but don't know it at all so we're open to recommendations as to which pieces of water.
We'd prefer to avoid the large crowds.
Almost any species is OK, though my brother in-law wants to wrestle a few big Kings...
Fly fishing only...wading when possible...rivers prefered over still water.
Thanks and Regards!
Nip

Bill Kiene semi-retired
12-27-2005, 11:48 AM
Going to a lodge in AK can be lots of things like 'Alaskanfish' is saying here.

It can be a $3000 trip plus airfare to a place like the Tsiu River where it is an "all you can catch" for only 'fresh wild Silver Salmon' on a small sandy river right on the ocean.

Well for most this would be a trip of a lifetime and a great value for most of us.

For those who are spoiled and have been to Alaska many times and have lots of 'economics' they can choose from a dozen 'Four Star' full service daily fly out lodges like No See Um Lodge, Enchanted Lake Lodge, Royal Wolf Lodge, Royal Coachman Lodge, etc where it is $6-7,000 a week plus but you get a float plan ride daily and a top guide for every two anglers. You are also in a spectacular lodge with a gourmet chef and world class meals.

The real big deal in AK is flyout fishing to small shallow clear river in the Fall with giant 5 to 15 pound Rainbows you actually site cast to. It is kind of like Bonefishing and Steelheading at the same time.

alaskanfish
12-27-2005, 03:44 PM
This link has an abundance of sources for fishing lodges in Bristol Bay. http://www.alaskafishinglodgesdirectory.com/sw_bristol_bay.html Many will offer a variety of experiences. Bill Kiene is correct in what to expect to pay. Spend some quality time contacting the lodges to see if they offer what you are seeking.

I don't know what "big kings" means to you... Nushagak has a huge run of king salmon, however they will not be "big" compared to the Kenai River. Indeed, the State of Alaska considers anything over 50 pounds to be a trophy (you would receive a certificate from the State of Alaska) in every river, except for the Kenai River where the fish needs to be at least 75 pounds. I would like to say that trophy fish are infrequent in all rivers (certainly possible). Your typical Bristol Bay king salmon will be in the 25-40 pound range.

There are several drift guides on the Nushagak that are wonderful. Fly fishing is a definite possibility and success rates are high.

The logdges that Bill recommends are good worthy of your call/contact.

Good luck.