PDA

View Full Version : Virus !

David Lee
12-25-2005, 09:47 AM
Hi guys -

I'm writing this on Candida's laptop , the home PC is fried w/ some nasty bug . I'll try to get it sorted over the next few weeks , so don't send any search pa
rties out :P

Have a good one , I'll see ya around .

David :D

Wednesday Caster
12-25-2005, 12:45 PM
Storm warnings, 20K cfs on the A and no computer. Man when it rains on you, it pours! :shock:
Be thankful you don't live in LA!
Quinn

Jasonh
12-25-2005, 12:55 PM
Sorry about the PC David. All i want for christmas are fishable flows on the American so i can hook into an adult steelie or two before i have to go back to Texas!

Jason Hartwick

Hairstacker
12-27-2005, 03:22 AM
David, truly sorry to hear it. I believe my last computer was actually destroyed by the cumulative effect of spyware, adware, and various viruses. I've had much better luck with this one since going to a web-based browser, Nortion System Works, and Norton Personal Firewall. I know it's a MAJOR pain but, if nothing else works, there's always the Full Restore option. . . . :cry: Wish you the best of luck. :(

rrivera
12-27-2005, 10:03 AM
Teky Talk - my favorite..!! If your getting pop-up's now, you'll get them even if you install all the bells and whistles in all the adware and firewall software out there.

Adware and Spyware, once they are in, the only way to clean it is either A-dare to trouble shoot your registry and look for the file extensions with the description of the Ad & Spy ware in the computer and delete those files from registry.

B-purchase a registry cleaning software that will update with a licence to a mother server of all the nasties that are out there.

Free ware will only get you a Beta or a older revision of software, and WILL NOT PROTECT you of the current phishing - adware - or spyware pratices out there.

Owning a PC today - means you need to protect your invesment by purchasing and learning about those resources to protect that expensive appliance these days.

As a consultant & engineer - The number one reason why my nieghbors PC's are in my garage to fix, is the lack of attention to do FREE updates of thier software once a week & do a back-up of thier data. A must if you want to keep you PC healthy and use it for at least 6 months.

If you have questions on what to avoid and need heatlthy practices I'll respond to my e-mail in my profile. Want to keep this a FF board as much as possible. Just my 2 cents worth here - Enjoy the rest of "05"

Tight lines or should I say Happy Tying..!!! :lol:

Jay Murakoshi
12-27-2005, 10:39 AM
Hey David,

I feel for you. I had the same thing happen just before Thanksgiving. The computer started to get a collection of all this spyware crap and then some other things started popping up. And then all of a sudden the computer just quit and went to sleep.
My son has a friend who is a computer GEEK. Yeah he's a Best Buy GEEK. He came by and did a check and showed me all the crap that was in the computer. I thought I had all the latest virus protectors and firewalls, etc......
But what he did was completely wipe out the hard drive. The he downloaded his stuff on the hard drive and did this and did that. Then he redownloaded a few of my programs. Some we saved and some I lost.
The worst part was losing all of my invoices. The good thing about that is I will learn to back up the important stuff.... The catch phrase "will learn", haven't done it yet

The good part of redoing the hard drive, it's faster than it's ever been. Just hope the laptop doesn't get sick

Jay