PDA

View Full Version : American River flow increase

Jasonh
12-24-2005, 10:55 AM
Just saw in the paper this morning that they are ncreasing the flows on the American to 20,000 cfs for flood control. It does not say how long they are doing this for though.

Jason Hartwick

Wednesday Caster
12-24-2005, 12:55 PM
20K? :shock:
I swear my wife must contact CA Dept Water Res. prior
to our family visits north!

Anne Vitale
12-24-2005, 03:01 PM
Thanks Jason....I was all set to meet a friend up there the day after Christmas. :-( Saved me a trip. Here is the Sac Bee article.........Anne

River flows boosted to make room for runoff
By Matt Weiser -- Bee Staff Writer
Published 2:15 am PST Saturday, December 24, 2005

FOLSOM - Flows in the American River below Folsom Dam will be increased significantly today to accommodate expected storm runoff.

Recent warm storms in the Sierra Nevada have boosted inflow to Folsom Reservoir to about 19,000 cubic feet per second, while outflow is at 4,000 cfs. With additional storms expected next week, officials have decided to increase flood storage capacity in the reservoir by releasing more water.

Starting at 2 p.m. today, the U.S. Bureau of Reclamation will increase flows out of Folsom and Nimbus dams to 20,000 cfs.

People using the river for boating, fishing and sightseeing should be prepared for faster flows and rising water levels.

Folsom Reservoir is holding about 612,000 acre-feet of water, or about 60 percent of its 977,000 acre-foot capacity.

The boost in releases is part of normal flood-control operations, and further adjustments will be announced if necessary.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
12-25-2005, 10:37 AM
Merry Christmas to all Kiene BBers.

Our river is at ~15,000 cfs right now on Christmas morning @9:30am.

Maybe this was a Christmas present to the Steelhead from the Fish God?

Harry Massingill
12-25-2005, 10:59 AM
I walked my dogs down to the river on the 24th and the river was way up and moving! My lab decided to roll around on top of a salmon carcass so the walk was cut short. It took three baths to get that smell out of her!

smokeater
12-25-2005, 09:46 PM
For cryin out load! Every time I start looking forward to fishing here the flows go up! It's like the shad run all over again. Anybody know when the flows are expected to ease off. Hopefully this will stimulate more steelies to move up........maybe the river will be fishable sometime before spring.

12-25-2005, 10:05 PM
Hey Smokeater
Are you doing Indian rain dances again ?

OregonSalmon
12-26-2005, 09:55 AM
Come on boys...20K, no big deal. That's why ya bought the spey rod. Git' out thar, the feeshes won't be expectin' yas.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
12-26-2005, 10:58 AM
When the flow comes down we might have a lot of Steelhead up near the hatchery?