PDA

View Full Version : Big ones in putah

Mike L
12-23-2005, 09:31 PM
Yes, Yes I know this is the steelhead and salmon fishing section but I did not know where else to post so bare with me. Me and my buddy clayton hit the creek today after school so got out on the water around 2:30. We weren't catching anything at all at first but right when i asked him if he wanted to try a different spot he hooked a fat 20 incher. He was fighting it for about 10 minutes until the fish got snaged on a rock due to low flows and snaped off. As he was re-riging I decided to give his spot a few casts. My first couple of casts I hooked one fair sized about 12". Not quite picture worthy but i regreted it later.

My next couple of casts i hooked a 21" hog but it rolled on the surface and jumped once and then the hook poped out. Oh I was so mad at myself because I thought it was going to be the bigest fish of the day but I was wrong. Kept fishing and hooked and landed an 18," but as i was handing the camera to clayton the fished poped out of my hands, total frustration w/ myself at that point. Went back out and I hooked the biggest fish I have ever hooked or seen hooked out of putah. I'm not entirely sure how big it actually was but i can tell you that it was anywhere from 27-29" range. When i hooked it, it took off straight downstream, jumped out of the water, ran across stream hoped out one more time then the tiny hook came out of it's mouth. That gets me so frustrated when the hook is too small.

Well the next fish that I had hooked I thought was a dink at first but when it took off downstream and surfaced it turned out to be well over 20". I had it on for about 10 minutes but once again it got snaged on a rock and snaped my line completely. These low flows are kiling me. Well it was the best day on putah I've ever had and we were only fishing for two hours. 2:30-4:30

-Mike

NWAngler08
12-23-2005, 10:36 PM
Ya mike that was a great day. Tommorow I'll give you a call at about 6am so we can go get that spot again. Lets try some wd40's though i heard they're workin also.

Mike L
12-23-2005, 10:44 PM
Yea Hopefully we can hook you up into another big one like the one you hooked today. Lets just pray that no one is in the honey hole tomorrow and hopefully we'll land a couple of those pigs that we were stickin.