PDA

View Full Version : Savage Rapids Dam

OregonSalmon
12-21-2005, 09:21 AM
Sculpin,
What is the status of the Savage Rapids Dam? That fish killer still standing, on the plate for removal, or just going to be a pain in the ass forever? Been a few years since I have heard anything on the subject.

sculpin
12-21-2005, 10:33 AM
Sculpin,
What is the status of the Savage Rapids Dam? That fish killer still standing, on the plate for removal, or just going to be a pain in the ass forever? Been a few years since I have heard anything on the subject.

That's a good question. I hear it might actually happen. This issue has gone on for a long time with a lot of tricks being pulled out of the hat by both sides . I haven't kept up on all the particulars ,but last I heard it is going to be removed. I have mixed feelings about the removal. Years back I was all for removal of the dam before the (accidental ?) introduction of Squaw fish to the lower river. They are rank in the Grants Pass area and so far Savage Rapids has kept them out of the Upper Rogue. If they remove the dam I hope the benifit to the migratory fish will not be undone by the presence of the Squaw Fish in the upper river. It's possible the cooler temperatures will keep them away. Smallmouth bass are present in both Lost Creek and Applegate Lakes and they haven't established themselves yet so, maybe the Squaw Fish won't either.

Mark

Mark

Covelo
12-21-2005, 10:45 PM
The squawfish are a big problem on the Eel River also. In the upper reaches of the Middle Fork Eel River, flow does seem to be the limiting factor on how far upstream the sqawfish have intruded. I use to think temperature was the limiting factor, but the sqawfish are in Williams Creek where the temp is typically colder or just as cold as reaches of the river above the gorge that seems to be the barrier to further movement of the squawfish upstream. I have also noticed that on high water years, the squawfish, especially the adults, seem to get pushed down river.

Sorry to hijack the thread.

OregonSalmon
12-22-2005, 08:34 PM
Covelo,
I have bathed in Williams Creek with my mother and father and the dog. Pop had a 1/20'th interest right beside for camping rights. It was hilarious; every time the old dude would wash himself off, naked, the dog would come out of the creek and shake on him, thus sending him back into the creek. Over and over. He hated that dog. At eleven, it is always fun to laugh at the plight of your father. Good spot.

Covelo
12-22-2005, 10:58 PM
My family owns an acre plot along the river on that strip just upstream of where Williams Creek flows into the Middle Fork. We have been going up there since the 70s. Lots of good memories. Now when I go up there in the summer, I take my spear gun and hunt squawfish. :?

OregonSalmon
12-26-2005, 10:00 AM
Covelo,
We were neighbors!!! My dad and his buddies bought the acre bordering Williams Creek. A place for everyone to camp for fishin' and drinkin'.
Any remnants of those summer run fish left? That was a quality fish.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
12-26-2005, 10:53 AM
Some friends of mine worked for the CA DF&G and they did snorkeling surveys of those summer run Steelhead in the Middle fork of the Eel River.

I think the Eel River has the largest population historically of summer runs in CA. I think those are larger than most in size too.

There was an article written in "Salmon, Trout, Steelhead" magazine published like Frank Amato about 20 years ago on the rivers in Nor Cal that have summer run Steelhead.

The Salmon off the Klamath

The Scott river off the Klamath

Wooley Creek off the Salmon River

The South and North Fork of the Trinity River

Middle fork of the Eel River

The main Klamath and Rogue Rivers get summer runs that enter the rivers in July.

I have heard lots of stories from customers who have seen these summer run fish in the rivers in big holes in mid-summer.

Maybe before all the dams there were more summer runs?

I think most of these places are closed to fishing to protect these little runs of wild fish?

Covelo
12-29-2005, 10:42 PM
OregonSalmon -- That is a nice piece of property on the creek that you have. We are the second to last acre on the other end just past the water tower. There are still summer runs there and I have hooked several over the past couple years. The fishing is all barbless and artificial lures only. I have fished mainly spinners as I have just started getting into fly fishing.

Bill, are you friends with Wendy Jones who use to organize those snorkle surveys before he retired about 5 years ago? Twice I helped out on the survey back in the early 90s. Most years I still like to hike down to a couple of the pools and view the steelhead as they wait out the summer. This run used to be over 5000 fish but it has been a while since it numbered over 1000. Still I do believe it is the largest summer run in the state. The fish are larger than typical summer runs on other rivers in the state. I have landed fish near 13-14 lbs and have observed larger when snorkling. Average is probably 8-9 lbs. Historically there use to be summer runs in the north fork Eel River, Van Duezen, and at Dos Rios (don't know where they were spawning), and near Fortuna above tide water (probably Van Duezen fish). In the past when I use to fish the lower Eel for Salmon in November, there were always a few summer steelhead taken. These were bigger fish with long bodies and red sides, definitely not early winters. Seen them taken on the lower Van Duezen at this same time of year too.

OregonSalmon
12-30-2005, 11:03 AM
Covelo,
Don't have that property anymore...all the oldtimer's are angling in Heaven. Great river and those fish are dandies. Last time I was there was probably 1973 and even though all the old dudes fly fished, they only bait fished. I'm thinkin' flies would be more effective. That river is a long way from no where, and those fish are powerful, so if you can figure it out you have it as good as it gets.

Covelo
01-01-2006, 05:40 PM
If I get the right water conditions, I think I will do well with flies. As you can see from the pics below, some years the water is so high getting a fly in front of a fish is difficult.

http://www.kingsnake.com/rrreptiles/temp/trails-end.jpg

http://www.kingsnake.com/rrreptiles/temp/falls.jpg

Covelo
01-01-2006, 05:41 PM
Any ideas why these pics did not come up?

PaulC
01-01-2006, 09:11 PM
Hey Covelo,
Odd....no idea. Cut and pasting your links here seems to work for what its worth.
-Paul

http://www.kingsnake.com/rrreptiles/temp/trails-end.jpg

http://www.kingsnake.com/rrreptiles/temp/falls.jpg

OregonSalmon
01-02-2006, 11:20 AM
Covelo,
Are those flows lately for in the summertime? Even at those flows I think you could cover the fish with a heavy dropper type setup. The classic is "legs and eggs": #2 black girdle bug with a glo bug dropper. The Girdle bug is weighted so heavy that if you throw it at your friend's head it will knock him out. Actually that is how we test them. Each one. We like to be thorough.

Covelo
01-02-2006, 12:45 PM
Those are the flows for late May. The river closes on June 1 to all fishing. Some years the river is low and clear by that time. In the lower pic, the pool in the foreground is 15-20 ft deep and the fish sit just below the white water on the left side, so a weight would definitely be required there, especially since you have to fish it from the far side. :? I have hooked fish before on a glow bug in a classic drift set up, so I think your suggestion will work. Thanks