PDA

View Full Version : Austin TX fly fishing

Brett
12-19-2005, 08:46 AM
Fished the lower Colorado last week with Jason Hartwick. I found a place about 15 minutes east of Austin, overlooking the Colorado. Last time I was there, you could see lots of large bass hanging under some down trees. They were probably still there, but the lighting was tough. Decided to work the edges of the trees with a clouser and streamer express. Started off right away with what we think to be hybrids - white bass and striper mix. Smaller mouths, broken lines on the side, very wide tails for their size, and pretty good fighters. Hopefully Jason will post some pix. There was a pretty good variety of sizes, most 12-16 inches. The LCRA started releasing water at Longhorn dam, and soon the water was rising and murky. I told Jason "one more cast", and ended up with a very large hybrid, probably 3 pounds or so. Put a nice bend in my rod.

The lower Colorado reminded me alot of valley rivers, deep holes, shallow riffles, blow downs, cut banks. I am surprised no one (that I know of) has a jet boat like John Sherman's. You could really own the river with one of those.

Happy Holidays!

Adam Grace
12-19-2005, 09:06 AM
Good to hear from you Brett!

You also have a nice holiday season!

Darian
12-19-2005, 01:15 PM
Hey Brett,.... Are the hybrid's you described called Wipers :?: :?: Seems to me that I've seen some of those in action on fishin' shows. Looks like a lot of fun. 8) 8)

Brett
12-19-2005, 01:39 PM
They might be. I am assuming they are hybrids, either that or according to Jason, very large white bass.

Jasonh
12-19-2005, 06:41 PM
Brett i will try to post the picture sometime this week. I am still learning how to use this camera. We are going to have to hit that place again. Those are some pretty hard fighting fish for being in the 1-3 lb range. I looked up white bass/striper hybrids and they sure looked preyyt similar to what we are catching. Happy holidays.

Jason Hartwick