PDA

View Full Version : American Reports?

smokeater
12-18-2005, 11:17 AM
Anybody have any reports for the American? I'm wondering how things are shaping up for us in January.

MSP
12-18-2005, 03:36 PM
Fished it 3 time last week. 3 hookups, no hookups and 1 hookup for the 3 trips. A couple of hits on Black buggers and the others on BWO emerger, Poopahs, and Pheasant Tails. Still pretty tough for me, well I guess it always has been a little tough for me. Persistance, yea that's the key, persistance, I'll be back at it this coming week.

12-18-2005, 09:15 PM
Three of us floated in the cold Sat. AM from the Arden cable line to Rossmore.
Fished a lot of good water. Saw several boats plus a few bank fishermen.
Unless those guys were hiding thier results. There was one fish caught.
It started raining about two and we split.

Jasonh
12-18-2005, 09:53 PM
I'm confused? Isn' the river closed above the power lines at ancil hoffman until the first. Or did you start your float there and end up some where else?

Jason Hartwick

Jgoding
12-19-2005, 11:37 AM
I was out Thursday last week, I arrived and I think I saw MSP leaving on the other side. Water was pretty discolored, and I saw no fish activity at all. Nothing rising and no insects save for one poor caddis that i tried to help get off the water. Where I cross a sidechannel, I couldn't see bottom at all at waist deep and it hadn't rained for awhile. Saw no one else fishing either. I swung a dark ESL around for about two hours and called it quits after not seeing any fish rising when they usually start.

Jeff

DonCooksey
12-19-2005, 03:54 PM
I was out Thursday below Goethe Park from first light until about 1 pm. Caught two half-pounders on a poopah below either a glo bug or an ESL. They were not big but sure fought hard. Here is one of them:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v649/DonCooksey/PC150004.jpg

Saw a couple other fly fishermen and another guy who looked like he was pulling a salmon onto shore with a long gaff. I guess I should have contacted DFG, but the guy was pretty far away from me, so I could have been mistaken. Maybe it was just a really stiff fly rod with a really big hook on the end!?? :x

Caught a nicer half-pounder two weeks earlier in about the same spot that measured 18". That was also on a poopah and really gave a nice fight on my 6-wt.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v649/DonCooksey/PB060001.jpg

Jgoding
12-19-2005, 04:34 PM
Nice fish Don. I will have to see if I can get a few fish to hand when I get back from Texas on the 28th.

Jeff

Jasonh
12-19-2005, 06:42 PM
Nice report Don. Fished today with no success but it was just nice to be out on the water!

Jason Hartwick

12-19-2005, 08:09 PM
Jason
We floated to below the line to start fishing.

Jasonh
12-19-2005, 08:30 PM
I figured that. Sorry i was in a daze when i was reading because i am still adjusting to the time change. Take care.

Jason Hartwick

OregonSalmon
12-21-2005, 08:54 AM
Sturmer,
Can you even have a rod in the boat floating over closed waters? Should be legal but I'd think John Law would give you hard time anyhoo.
American report: Last fished the river last Dec. 19'th. No hits, no runs, no errors. This info is a bit stale since that was Dec. 19'th 1991. I left on Dec. 20, 1991, headed north to improve my odds. The plan worked. Only smart thing I have ever done. Remember, fleeing ain't bad if you are fleeing north.

12-22-2005, 08:53 PM
Hey Oregon
There were 4 other boats floating the mile prior to the line.We all had rods ready. I don't know the law but no one seemed worried.I will check.