PDA

View Full Version : Punta Colorada /East Cape report - December 8th to 15th

David Lee
12-16-2005, 12:24 AM
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Hope you fellas are sittin' down ........

Victory at sea conditions - 25 MPH north winds , 7 rows of breakers , ANGRY (and I do mean ANGRY ) surf .

I did quite well :evil: :twisted: :evil: :twisted:

NINE species on the fly in the surf - Roosterfish , Sierra , Ladyfish , Pompano , Lookdown , Green Jacks , Jack Crevallie , Yellowfin Croaker , Pufferfish .

And ....... something that ran me 150 yards out into the sea and ROCKED me (there's a nice T-14/running line setup decorating a cave out there somewhere .....) .

Leadcore and mono ruled the day . More to follow , I have to clean some VERY used reels :idea: - Got fishes every day but Sunday and this morning , not massive numbers , but enough to make a swell trip .

Only one 'incident' , most everyone there was mucho cool . I'll post a few photos tomorrow ..... and will be hosting anyone that wants to try this madness next October/November at the same place :twisted: :idea: :twisted: :idea: :twisted:

Brave new world for this humble man out there ..... I think I've found what I'm looking for :arrow:

David :D

Bill Kiene semi-retired
12-16-2005, 01:12 AM
Sounds great to me David.

I guess that Jim Christensen and Andy Guibord have hosted a couple of trips to Punta Colorado Hotel.

http://www.bajaresorts.com/images/puntbar.jpg

Secret hot spot?

I had a friend go with them and he said it was very nice and a good place to take the misses.

I think Jim said their best guide said it was good from June through October, in the warmer months.

http://www.bajaresorts.com/punta.htm

http://www.bajaresorts.com/images/puntapool.jpg

David Lee
12-16-2005, 01:23 AM
Secret hot spot?

El Faro @ Punta Arena - SHUSSSHHH !!!

Ladyfish and Sierra are the greatest light-tackle gamefish I could ever imagine - a dinky 3 lb. Machete will make you re-thing ANY Steelhead ........ they're THAT fun ! If I cash in tomorrow and leave this world , I hope a Ladyfish is the last bite I get .

The story's to come ....

David

Tony Buzolich
12-16-2005, 07:57 AM
You had a good time. Great! Can't wait for the stories and details.

Glad you're back,
TONY

sculpin
12-16-2005, 08:50 AM
Hey David I'm glad you enjoyed your trip and look forward to the rest of your report.It sounds like the North Winds were doing their usual winter thing. I have to agree with you about the Lady Fish . My wife and I spend time in the area during the winter and even though the wind howls at times I really enjoy it there. If we can find a house to rent we are going down next month. :D I'll trade warm and Lady Fish for winter Steelhead any day. I met and fished with PM and Will yesterday on the upper Klamath and it was 19f at about 9AM. Need I say more. :D

Mark

k.hanley
12-16-2005, 08:58 AM
Nice job amigo. Now you have a taste of why we like the Baja grab so much. Happy holidays and safe travels. 8)
Cheers, Ken

Hairstacker
12-16-2005, 09:19 AM
All right David!! Sounds like you had a WONDERFUL trip, I'm very happy for you!!! \:D/ Can't wait to hear ALL the details! 8) 8) 8)

David Lee
12-16-2005, 09:42 AM
I didn't have a chance to throw small Bonefish flies , the conditions were just not right . Almost all the time , small , under 2 1/2 inch white deceivers and gray siliclones were the ticket . The monster (Amberjack ???????) I lost ate a 1 3/4 inch clouser , but the 'clone was THE fly . I brought only three of them , and you should see how they look now !!

I used 7 and 8 wts. , and the Wong Wod - a Loop 8/9 two-hander . I doubt a 12 wt. could have stopped the monster from beating me down . Because the surf was SOOOOO NASTY , leadcore/mono was pretty much the only way to fish effectively . When the fish were within 70 or so feet , WW got the nod . Totally effortless casting a double in the surf , and very , very effective . Of course , as I packed the rods on the last morning , the surf went completly flat :twisted: - I was pretty bummed about that .....

The fish -
Jack Crevallie( Toro) - none over three lbs. for me , but my most common catch thru the trip - they pull like hell , and have some teeth and sharp scutes on the tail (careful while landing ...) - very nice fish that will tax you in the surf .

Green Jack (Cocinero) - nasty little guys , one of the toughest fighters out there . No teeth , but sharp belly fins . I'm glad they were small ...

Mexican Lookdown - Only got one the first morning , beautiful , tough fish - landing it was rough on an 8 wt. in the suds !!

Yellowfin Croaker - a few in the wash before dawn - hard fighters .

Pufferfish - Sharp strike , then like dragging a wet sock in . Not much fun to handle .

Roosterfish - I caught a small one in the suds on Paul Cs. Sardine . It never quit fighting . No teeth , no spines , very hard fight .

Pompano - Again , only one ..... sharp strike , major thrashing on the surface . Mine was a nice one , according to Peter Langstraat - for a fish less than 14 inches long , hardest fight you can imagine .

Sierra - Oh , my ........ fast , fast critter , and very beautiful . I landed one , and had quite a few shake the hook when landing . I did not use wire , and was bitten off only once (at the tippet/leader area by another Sierra .... wire would NOT have saved me) - The teeth on these fish are fearsome - DO NOT GET A FINGER ANYWHERE THAT MOUTH . They came in in force with the Ladyfish one evening , and were a scream to fight .

Ladyfish - Plain looking fish , kind of like a Squawfish w/ huge eyes and a yellow cast to them . Put a hook in one and ........ time stops . A. W. Dimmok wrote (in 1900 ...) that if Ladyfish were the same size as Tarpon , they would kick the shit out of the Tarpon .

He was correct .

Picture the hottest Steelhead you've ever caught , then multiply by about twenty - they are INSANE , BESERK FIGHTERS - at one point , I had one of maybe twenty inches make a 12 foot long jump two feet high , and rip 28 feet of leadcore head and about that much running line out of the water - They are very hard to land (boney mouth , crazy-assed jumping , etc.) and one in 7 to the beach was the best I could do . Absolute ass kickers on a 7 wt rod . I'm not a hardcore saltwater angler , but I've caught a lot of different fish ..... in my opinion , the Ladyfish is the greatest thing with fins for the light tackle flyrodder . Peter has had 30- fish evenings on these things , I cannot imagine doing that .....

More to come , along w/ photos .

David

Hairstacker
12-16-2005, 03:32 PM
Great descriptions David! Pufferfish sure don't sound very gamey -- wet sock? :lol: On the other hand, those ladyfish sound positively INSANE! I'll bet, in your mind's eye, they've replaced that evil rainbow you ran into on the Pit. Gotta wonder what the heck that monster was, eh? On another note, were you using your Teton? Did you like how it performed?

Adam Grace
12-16-2005, 03:55 PM
I'm glad to hear that you had a fun trip David!

I hope that you have pictures to share with us.

jbird
12-16-2005, 04:13 PM
Thats awesome David!!

What a great report! What kind of bait schools were around? were there sardinas? Did you ever get a chance to venture out in a panga?

I agree with the ladyfish, they are really fun. And youre right, landing 1 out of every 7 is actually a good ratio! Its weird how something so skinning and unassuming can pull that hard.

I know what you mean by the razors in front of the tail on the toro. Sculpin caught about a 20#'r and I reached in and tailed it in the surf and I though it fillet'd my hand. I guess I have 18 years of construction to thank for my palms being like boot leather cause it didnt cut. I WILL wear a glove next time.

Glad youre back safe and hopefully without too many equiupment mishaps.

Jay

Darian
12-16-2005, 05:13 PM
Hey David,..... Some fun, hmmm :?: :?: That surf must've been tough. I don't recall anything other than gentle surf the whole time I was down there.

OK,.... Let's get down to it. Didja see any nativa bonita flora/fuana down there :?: :?:

Also, did Senora Candida do any fishing :?: :?: If so, did she outfish you :?: :?:

David Lee
12-16-2005, 06:26 PM
Mike -
The Tetons did the job , period . I have no doubts the Tiogas will fish the same . You know how much I fish and the different things I've caught .... the ladys were the apex of flyrod fishes I've tangled with .

Adam -

Thanks !! Photos will be up later tonight .

JB -

Small (2 1/2 inch max) Sardina were scattered around , no great masses though . Flying fish were seen by us in close . The water was really rough , even the Mexicans said it was NEVER that bad , so I stayed out of the boats .... also , not a single gear problem for me . Speaking of bait ..... at the lighthouse (El Faro de Punta Arena) , I saw what I took for a group of jacks on the surface feeding - turns out to be a Rooster over 40 inches in pursuit of a very unlucky Sierra of 20 inches !! It looked like the inside of a washing machine running full tilt . We didn't see the Rooster catch it , but it probably happened ....

Darian -

The airport was ROTTEN w/ Bonita Nativas . Good thing I'm married :roll:

Photos tonight !!!!!!

Jay Murakoshi
12-16-2005, 07:11 PM
David, David, David,

Sloooooow down, inhale, exhale, inhale, exhale. Now that you have control of your body, Relax.

Hey, I've been going to baja since the early '60's and every trip is just as exciting as the very first trip. Especially this past May when I landed the "Grande" rooster. I have ventured to the East Cape and experienced the grab. We have fished out of Punta Colorada in October and found the same results, especially from the beach. Huge schools of Lady's daisy chaining out in front of you. CAST, CAST CAST----- Fish on. Usually mixed in with them are the jacks and sierra's. Rooster's swimming up to your feet, what a trip.
If you want more excitment that could stop your heart, you ought to try the Cerralvo Island area in May and June. Pulling on a skip jack that's around 15lb to 18lbs is alot like worked. Or better yet - seeing 50 or more BIG roosters swimming around the panga.

Ahhhh, what the taste of Baja can do to the soul

Jay

Can't wait for the photo's

David Lee
12-16-2005, 07:47 PM
http://members.sparedollar.com/fadoe/PC120014.JPG

Candida's Yellowfin Croaker !!

http://members.sparedollar.com/fadoe/PC120013.JPG

Peter Langstraat in action

http://members.sparedollar.com/fadoe/PC130009.JPG

Rooster jr. !!!!

http://members.sparedollar.com/fadoe/PC130011.JPG

Sierra !!!

http://members.sparedollar.com/fadoe/PC130014.JPG

One happy dude w/ a fine Ladyfish

http://members.sparedollar.com/fadoe/PC140012.JPG

Pompano !!!!!!!

PaulC
12-16-2005, 10:36 PM
Hey David,
Sounds like a heck of a trip. I think I had that same look on my face with my first ladyfish, but my wife was sleeping and no camera. lol.
Those things absolutely go balistic. Were they actively feeding when you were targetting them? Most of the ones I landed were in groups grubbing early in the morning @ greylight. Nice job on the rooster btw.
Glad you had a great time out there man. Definitely a cool place. I hope to make it out again sometime this summer. What a great fishery it is and its so close.
-Paul

sculpin
12-16-2005, 10:50 PM
David it looks like you caught most all of the winter inshore species. It also looks like maybe it wasn't only the fish that were hooked on your Baja trip. :lol: When the fever sets in get a hold of me. We have been staying in the in the area for quite a few years and can give you some info for future trips.

Mark

Jay Murakoshi
12-16-2005, 11:58 PM
David & All,

I just did a Power Point baja presentation at the Fisherman's Spot in Van Nuys. This was my first attempt and everyone really liked it, the only comment I received was I needed more slides of all the species I've caught. I told them the that would make a 4 hour show.
Presently, I'm working on our program for the Sacramento and San Mateo ISE show. It will be power point presentation. We need everyone to attend this presentation since it will be our first time and we want ALOT of comments - good or bad.

After thinking about it, while viewing my Baja presentation, I was thinking a sound track would be nice. My opening song will be Herb Albert and the Tiajuana Brass "The Lonely Bull". Just have to figure out the procedure and the copy right laws

Jay

bajafly
12-17-2005, 07:45 AM
David

Great photos and report.

Glad to hear that your trip worked out in spite of the dreaded North Wind.

Maybe I will see you at the San Mateo ISE next month. I will be doing programs on Friday, Saturday and Sunday in the California Theater. The schedule is on their site.

David Lee
12-17-2005, 08:46 AM
Just a few more photos .....

http://members.sparedollar.com/fadoe/PC140014.JPG

Green Jack - the little terrorist

http://members.sparedollar.com/fadoe/PC140020.JPG

Fun-sized Jack Crevallie

http://members.sparedollar.com/fadoe/PC140017.JPG

Yet another Jack - on a 7 wt. , these things will wreck you !!

http://members.sparedollar.com/fadoe/PC110012.JPG

Just about as calm as it got !!

http://members.sparedollar.com/fadoe/PC140002.JPG

Candida and I on the morning of departure .... notice the happy smiles .

http://members.sparedollar.com/fadoe/PC140019.JPG

The way I want to remember it !!

THE END :D

David

MSP
12-17-2005, 10:07 AM
David it looks like your life is now complete. What's next? Nice report and pics! You'll never be the same again :shock:

David Lee
12-17-2005, 10:28 AM
David it looks like your life is now complete. What's next? Nice report and pics! You'll never be the same again :shock:

Hi Mike !!

What's next ???? Well , even before we left HPC , we had figured on a 15 day stay in October/November , 2006 .... but we had sort of a bad 'incident' w/ the resort shuttle driver . If we get a positive response from the owners/managers (no contact w/ the problem dude ...) , then we will book next month . If not ......

Running into Peter Langstraat was a huge stroke of luck - He is one of the more rabid fishermen in the world , and I have been reading his Baja reports for many years . I had heard he would be around at the east cape ..... turns out he was at HPC . We met , and became inseperable for my stay - Peter was very helpful w/ locations and stuff , and is one hell of a nice guy , as well . He is ready for flyfishing after watching me get over 30 hits in a few hours , while he had only two (the fish wanted something different from Rapalas) - next time , we'll get him into it !!

I guess the next step is ..... go back to work , go fishing here , and save for the future .

Seeya !!

David

Hairstacker
12-17-2005, 12:50 PM
David, love the pictures! I think that one of you with the ladyfish does a very nice job of summing it all up. 8)

Jasonh
12-18-2005, 10:08 PM
Great report and pics David. Sounds like it was a good trip. Now its time to find some stripers and steelies locally!

Jason Hartwick

David Lee
12-18-2005, 10:57 PM
Great report and pics David. Sounds like it was a good trip. Now its time to find some stripers and steelies locally!

Jason Hartwick

If the Damm river would drop ................

Fish are fish . I really like those Baja fishes , though . Hope you and I meet soon , I think it would be a fun time .

David

Jasonh
12-18-2005, 11:02 PM
If the river would drop..... its only 2300 cfs, perfect to locate early winter steelies!

Jason Hartwick

David Lee
12-19-2005, 04:56 AM
Sorry Jason , I thought the Sacramento had risen and flooded the lower American past Glen Hall park . My mistake .

David

Jasonh
12-19-2005, 08:19 AM
You could be right, i have not checked yet. I hope not though.

Jason Hartwick

Bill Kiene semi-retired
12-19-2005, 10:34 AM
At the San Mateo ISE -International Sportsman's Exposition January 12 -15, 2005 you can see slide presentations by Jay Murakoshi & Ken Hanley and Gary Graham who are all experts on fly fishing the East Cape of Baja.

They will be at a both too so you can talk with them about going on a trip with them.

They will also be able to talk to you about time of year and tackle too.

Or just ask them here too.

Thanks Jay, Ken & Gary for the great information which really promotes the sport of salt water fly fishing.

SullyTM
12-19-2005, 04:24 PM
Was the cervasa cold?

BTW...Nice variety of gills! :fish: :nod:

Happy holidays...