PDA

View Full Version : Camera Lense lingo

Jay Murakoshi
12-15-2005, 09:32 PM
I've been looking at all the Nikon lenses for a 35mm camera. Damn, seems like Nikon has a lens for every occasion. I just picked up a Nikon F-100 and looking at the lenses. I know I can use the D series, since that's for digital. The AF series is where I'm at. Now with the G, S DX, etc. it's getting confusing. I know one doesn't have an aperature ring, one is silent, etc...
Is there a site where I can go to and read about the difference.
I've checked the Nikon site but they don't list anything

Thanks

Jay

Jasonh
12-15-2005, 10:14 PM
Jay, check out fredmiranda.com It is an awesome photography website with forums for both canon and nikon. There are also a lot of lens reviews. I just bought a Canon 20D and a couple of lenses and i recieved a lot of info from both the reviews and forum that led me to those purchases. Hope this helps.

Jason Hartwick

Bill Kiene semi-retired
12-16-2005, 01:24 AM
Hi Jay,

On my web site under LINKS I have sites on PHOTOGRAPHY.

You might call Andy at the shop. He is a photo gear head now too.

800 400 0359

Jay Murakoshi
12-16-2005, 09:23 PM
Jason thanks for the information. Bill, I will call and talk to Andy (on his time) or maybe take a drive to Sacramento.

I dropped by the camera shop this afternoon to check out the lenses. Boy I sure can see the dollar signs floating around my head. There are two guys in there who are pretty much Nikon experts. They were showing me quite a few things about this camera. The first thing I'm buying is the flash unit, that's if there's any money left in the wallet after Christmas. The next thing will be a 70mm to 300mm and then ???????

Most of the items will come from our only Nikon shop here in Fresno.
I know it is cheaper to buy off the internet or backeast but like I preached before buy local, even though it could cost you a few extra bucks. If they are not there in the future, I"m sure those guys at those BIG photo outlets back East won't sit on the phone and help you - they're there to sell not to give classes over the phone.

Oppps, got off track again

Jay