PDA

View Full Version : I am upset, lost my rig today. Left on top of truck

LVC
12-15-2005, 09:24 PM
What a dumb sh** I got distracted and left my outfit on top of my truck. The rod was broken down in a soft rod bag. Sage 790 rpl and a Sage 508 reel. A line that isn't made anymore, a reel that isn't made anymore and a rod that isn't made anymore. The most irreplacable is the reel. I have 2 extra worthless spools now. Bill Archuleta modified the reel by putting larger handles and counterbalances on all the spools. It was a perfect coastal steelhead rig. Great click drag reel and a rod that isn't stiff as a board like all these new super graphite 4, 5,6, or what ever. These rods are gettting so stiff it makes one wonder when does a 7 become a 8. I cast a 7 the other day and it was as stiff as my rplx 990. I could throw lead core with that 7. I digress. I am sick over the bonehead move. I loved that reel.
LVC

nightgoat
12-15-2005, 10:06 PM
man that sux :cry: I love my RPL. where did you lose it? maybe post over on ncffb also. you might get lucky and and another ff'er found it.....

Hairstacker
12-15-2005, 10:20 PM
LVC, that is truly tragic, sorry to hear it. I thought I've heard that the Sage RPL was replaced by the Sage VPS that was just discontinued by Sage. If so, and you've got the funds, I'll bet you can find a replacement 7wt. for less than $300 and end up with essentially the same rod. I know Kiene's has them on closeout but I didn't see a 7wt. listed. . . but perhaps another shop still has some laying around.

By the way, not all new 7wts. out there are "stiff." If you search around, you will find all manner of actions out there -- everything from a slowish-medium to very fast, tippy to progressive, soft to stiff. But maybe you already knew that, if so, sorry to mention it. And I know, it still bites to lose a favorite rod and reel. . . .

Darian
12-15-2005, 10:25 PM
Ahhhh yes..... The ol' black hole on top of the truck. :? Lost two complete outfits doing the exact same thing over the last 10 years..... :( Hope the distraction was worth it.... :D :D

flygolf
12-15-2005, 11:43 PM
Sorry to hear about that, I did that a few years back myself. I was very lucky though I went back everyday for two weeks and three weeks later some guy pulls up next me as I was getting out of my car and asked if I had forgot something. Turns out he recognized me from three weeks prior and had found my whole set up and handed it right over to me. Post a lost sign, you never know some people may surprise you. Good luck with that I hope you get your setup back.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
12-16-2005, 01:18 AM
The old RPL is the VPS series which is now just being discontinued.

If you can find a 790 VPS on the web on close-out it is the old 790 RPL.

Now the good news is the new Sage VT2 is a softer tipped series with a smooth action that many of us like.

The SLT is also softer than the XP and Xi2.

Crusty
12-16-2005, 08:30 AM
Don't give up too soon...years ago I found a nice rig in the day parking lot at Anchor River AK. I left my info with the local tackle shop, but nobody contacted me...call some local shops...maybe some honest person found it.

It's worth a try

Crusty

Wednesday Caster
12-17-2005, 12:40 PM
Sorry to hear about your misfortune. My memory...what?
Whilst looking for bamboo project fly rods on Ebay, I noticed
a Sage796RPL ending Sunday 18. I know you had a 790 but
thought this might soften the blow if you can get it for a deal.
Best,
Quinn

oh, here's the link...
http://cgi.ebay.com/SAGE-Graphite-796-RPL-by-Dave-Scadden-Fly-Fishing-Rod_W0QQitemZ7205401775QQcategoryZ7299QQssPageName ZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem