PDA

View Full Version : Heading North.

PatrickM
12-15-2005, 12:29 AM
Got a couple of weeks off between jobs, so I'm heading North tomorrow morning looking for steel. Hooking up with longtime friend and new poster to this board WillJ tomorrow on the Klamath. Rumour has it that Sculpin is making an appearance too. After that, I'll be staying at Will's place in Ashland for a couple of days, either fishing the Rogue or Klamath, depending on conditions. Then it's down to the Trinity on Monday for four days. I'm already twitching. Report to come in a couple of weeks when I get back to the computer.
Happy holidays and best wishes to everyone on the board. :D
ps - looking forward to getting my holiday swap flies in the mail when I get back.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
12-15-2005, 12:46 AM
Sounds like a real good plan.

Most would 'kill' to go with you.

Take a few pics too if you can.

Hairstacker
12-15-2005, 10:27 AM
Good luck Patrick, sounds like you're in for a screaming good time! Can't wait to see the pictures. . . . 8)

sculpin
12-16-2005, 11:33 PM
I picked up Will in Asland and met Patrick on the upper Klamath yesterday. It was a balmy 19F at about 9AM ( I know Bubz a heat wave). It's always fun for me to go fishing with folks I have never met beforehand. It adds a certain charm to the trip. Both the guys were gung ho and beat the place up. We landed several steelhead and half pounders.All on the small side but I think that's the Klamath.Will had the hot rod which was nice because he said he was having a tough time on the Rogue so far. Patrick would eat up river wading. For us older guys it's nice to let the younger ones hit new water to see if it's fishable. :lol: Unfortunatly I couldn't catch up with them today and their fishing together till Sunday and then Patrick is headed to the Trinity. I'm sure they will have some interesting reports to follow.Some weather is heading in this weekend and will hopefully warm things up and help out their fishing. The water in the Rogue has been getting into the 30's .

Mark

WillJ
12-19-2005, 07:02 PM
Sent Patrick off to the Trinity after having him here for a day on the Klamath and 3 on the Rogue. Each day had varying conditions.
Had a great time with Mark on the Klamath. He picked me up as he said and we met P at about 9:30. It was cold. Ice in the guides cold. We did find some willing fish and it was great being on new water with new & old friends.
Fished the upper Rogue the next day where P got his first Rogue steelhead going about 26 inches. A pretty tough fish. Patrick wasn't quite the same after that :D
The next couple of days we stuck to the lower-upper Rogue and had varying results with re-treads. At one point we landed 4 fish in an hour. Puncuated by long dry periods of stack mending at 30 feet... you create new muscle groups doing that 4 days in a row :shock:
Had a nice weather change up here on Sunday. Temp increased about 20 degrees and a little rain came with it.
All in all a fantastic long weekend of steelheading in the State of Jefferson. We'll all look forward to Patrick's post and pic's. I know he got some good ones.

Will